Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Tundra Payload Capacity

40K views 77 replies 14 participants last post by  flighht2k5 
#1 ·
Hi folks, I have been considering a FWC Hawk pop up truck camper for my 2012 Double Cab 4.6 Tundra. Working on the assumption that my truck had a payload capacity of 1515 lbs and the Hawk camper weighed in at just under 1,000 lbs I felt that the combination would work out plus I have seen photos of quite a few Tundras with these campers on them. Anyhow, the other day I looked at the info plate on the B pillar of my truck and it states " The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1255 lbs". Now I'm a little confused. Am I missing something here? Just yesterday I saw a Toyota chart online that should the payload of my truck as 1515 to 1640 lbs or thereabouts (I assume the lower figure is for the 4.6, higher for 5.8?)
Anyhow, any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alan

#2 ·
GCVWR is the number specifically for that truck based on it's build when it roll off the line. So, 1255 your number.

#4 ·
Whatever truck you choose, I would advise only using advertised numbers as a starting point. Always go straight to the door sticker

#6 ·
Later Tundras won't have more capacity. My 2014 is 1360 lbs on the door sticker, but I also don't have the 38 gallon tank. Don't think it'll be worth it to get another Tundra... Likely looking at a 3/4 ton or 1-ton if you're wanting more. And don't even bother with a 3/4 ton; go straight to a 1-ton single-rear-wheel truck; most of the 3/4 and 1-ton's from the big 3 have the same suspension between a 3/4 and a 1-ton so ride difference isn't significant. The 1-ton will ride rougher on the test drive though due to the higher PSI in the tires. But the tires will be the same as the 3/4 ton; just higher PSI. And the 1-ton will have an easy 1000 lbs+ payload over the 3/4 ton. At least for GM/Ford, that all rings true. Not totally sure on Dodge because never again, lol.

#8 ·
Thanks guys,
As I am new to camping with a camper I have decided to rent for the first trip and see how we like it. If we are still sold on the idea of a truck and camper combo I will upgrade to a 3/4 ton. Shame as I really like Tundras.

Alan

#9 ·
Working on the assumption that my truck had a payload capacity of 1515 lbs and the Hawk camper weighed in at just under 1,000 lbs I felt that the combination would work out plus I have seen photos of quite a few Tundras with these campers on them.
If you beef up the suspension (which you surely will) you can safely and reliably haul a lot more than the sticker says. That's why you see a lot of people doing it. Plenty of people hauling 2500lb loads on washboard for hundreds of thousands of miles without issue.

The biggest benefit you'd get with a 3/4 ton is a full floating rear axle, and suspension already beefed up, but you'd have to by a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. I know which one I picked. >:D

#24 ·
That's not entirely true

I owned a ram 1/2 ton and belonged and still belong to ram forum and those guys are pretty much just like here, not much difference

That's said since they sell more heavier trucks and a lot more of them there are more guys that tow

#19 ·
Getting a little worked up and you are clueless. The next time you "yell" at me with your nice bold text I'll get rid of you.
:) I guess there needs to be some perks with the job... :bump:

If I'm clueless then prove it. Did you pay any attention to what I said? It isn't a safety issue and it couldn't possibly be. So the only "favor he'd be doing for his family" by buying a 3/4 ton is subjecting them to an unreliable POS.

Reactions: Blender
#23 ·
I guess I'm dumb but, I always thought...

2240 lbs = 1 ton therefore 1120 lbs = 1/2 ton Half-ton is actually the trucks capability.....and this includes everything in the truck.

Even all the big butts it's carrying. ;)

Reactions: flighht2k5
#25 ·
Not far off, most crewmax trucks are not much more than that, and that's before we add all our mods to it

Although getting rid of all that chrome has to add payload , hehe>:D

#29 · (Edited)
#31 ·
Says it's for a 1/2 ton truck but, it sure seems like a lot of weight to me.
1700lb dry.

The camper I'm building will be ~700lb for the shell, and hopefully ~1000lb with "furniture" and storage (also light and custom). And the bed is being removed which will save 400lb. But still there is going to be over 1000lb of people and stuff (for long term living), so even I'll be over gross weight.

#34 · (Edited)
Ya that's really lame to market that to 1/2 ton owners at 1900 before you even get in the truck

Very very few 1/2 tons won't be overloaded (legitimately anyways) by the time they actually hit the road, I think that heavy payload ford may be the only one not overloaded

#35 ·
rruff;8728418

Nice condescension. In reality I'm an old, retired aerospace engineer. IQ of 160+. Tell me about logic. :banghead:

@2010 I know a few super smart guys that have zero common sense

Anyone who touts their internet IQ score and their multiple degrees most likely falls in that category.

#36 ·
Do logic, reality, and "common sense" coincide? Or do you mean the "common sense" of accepted belief?

#37 ·
Logic typically only works in fantasy worlds, rarely does it actually apply to real life unfortunately.

Going off of facts and real numbers is a much better way to go about things. I can use logic and make pretty much any statement sound good.

Do some real world testing with clear and precise numbers and measurements and let us know what you come up with ( Toyota already did all this ). Without the facts, your logic is useless.

#38 ·
Here is some food for thought on payload cap. I'm working on a 2014 compact sedan, a VW Jetta if you will. The car weighs in at like 3000 lbs and has a 1.8 liter engine. The door says the payload shall not exceed 1087 lbs.

So you are telling me that this tiny car with tiny shocks, a four cylinder engine, and a transmission that can't hold much more torque than what it's already handling, can haul ALMOST as much as a full size Tundra???

#41 ·
I haven't been reading whatever has been argued about in this thread but I do have some FACTS to give out. If your vehicle is insured, then even grossly overloading the vehicle and being the cause of a tragic crash will not prevent the insurance company from paying the claim. They can't do that. You insure the vehicle and a set dollar amount of liability for people injured in the crash. If you decide to tow 30,000 lbs and your brakes failed causing you to plow into 15 cars, your insurance will still pay out up to and including the maximum coverage you took out. They won't say, "oh you overloaded it so were not gonna pay. Next!"

#46 · (Edited)
That's not a good idea to make a blanket statement like that, every state is different.

if you were involved in a high dollar claim (especially with fatalities) you bet your ass the insurance company would look for a way out and this thing called negligence would come up, either by the insurance company or the other sides attorneys. It it gross negligence to knowingly way overload your truck. If you made mods to hold more weight and overloaded, that will show intent.

My wife practiced insurance defense litigation for a long time, you would be blown away at what insurance companies can and will do to get out of high dollar claims or litigation, especially the crappy insurance companies.

best case is they try and deny it and you have to get a lawyer to fight it (assuming your correct). Who wants to dick around with all that just to carry weight you know damn well your not supposed to.

also, if you do all that and kill some people being way overloaded, insurance being denied is not your inly issue, you know damn well you will get sued by the peoples families you wiped out. That could exceed insurance coverage anyway.

#45 ·
Let's all just agree that Toyota de rates the Tundra so that it loses market share to the big 3. Seems like a solid marketing strategy doesn't it?

It would logical to make that determination because they want to Tundra to stay a limited production vehicle so their used values stay high and all the American truck makers can sell more trucks. It makes the Tundra more desirable even given its smaller payload ratings....

(Shakes head)

There is a reason those ratings are there. I'm not a Toyota Engineer so I don't know why they are what they are, but I do know they would put them as high as possible to compete with the domestic offerings.

#62 · (Edited)
duplicate

#64 · (Edited)
I didn't say the frame was the inherent weak point. You mentioned how it would be fine because it flexes.

What I'm doing is using deductive reasoning. You mentioned all the things you "can" upgrade to make the truck "safe" to use while overloaded.

I listed one of the things you cannot upgrade. One that the entire vehicle is revolved around. The very first piece designed to meet the intended performance targets of the platform.

The frame.

And you would take 10 years of bad data over almost the same time period of THE LARGEST AUTOMAKER IN THE WORLD's numbers?

Guess what. For literally thousands of years, people assumed the world was flat. How's that for bad data?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.