Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Tundra lovers - I am late to the party here, so thank you in advance for contributing to the new guy who hasent offered any content thus far!

I have Enjoyed my 2007 Tundra for 6 years and 100K miles and am currently struggling with installing my new leaf springs.

I built out the back of my rig with a cap and camper bed, additionally I have several rooftop toy carriers, and a bike rack on the hitch...in other words, I am carrying a LOT of weight...all the time. So, I was not surprised when I had a leaf spring break the other day after 8 months of dead load hauling. Because of the excess weight, I decided to go for the 4 stack rather than 3. I purchased a budget set of Husky 90363HD springs after an evidently insufficient amount of research.

After starting to swap the driver side spring, I am seeing that the new stack does not line up quite right. With the front bolt in place, the pin at the center of the arch does not sitting the hole on the axle. Are there some considerations I may be missing here?

I know they are directional, and was surprised when the shorter (front) dimension measured closer to 31-3/4” from center of front eye to center bold, when it is specified for 31-3/8”. (Rock auto did not provide dimensions - Could Rock Auto spec be off?

I would love to avoid exchanging these, so any input on how I could make them work would be fantastic! Maybe there is a sequence to the install that I am not getting right?

Part Purchased: Husky 90363HD 4/1=5
Purchased from: Rock Auto

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Move the axle forward or aft until the center pin drops inside the hole on the axle mount. You can strap a ratcheting cargo strap to the axle and crank it up to move the axle. Some tapping with heavy hammer to line up the leaf spring center bolt to the hole maybe necessary. I remember using my 25 lb barbell weight just to bump the springs to align the bolt to the hole. Worked.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If I understand it right, the axle needs to move a little bit towards the back to get the leaf spring bolt to drop into the axle hole? If it is just a matter of moving the axle rearward a little bit on both sides, do it. That little bit of movement will have no effect on anything. One note of caution, make sure you measure from the front wheels to the rear wheels to make sure the axle is square to the front. There is often a little bit of slop in those holes so you can get the axle in slightly crooked causing a little bit of dog tracking (don't ask how I know, just go with it!..HA).

You will probably have to loosen the axle bolts on the other side to move the axle to get it all lined up right.

Also, if you are significantly overloading you truck (say more than 750 lbs over the weight rating or more), you need to be careful doing that. Some is not problem, but there are other parts of the truck that carry a weight rating as well. It is not all about the springs installed.

You might want to weigh this rig at a truck stop and see how much weight you are really carrying. I have had 5 Tundra's and have hauled some heavy stuff and never broke a leaf spring doing it. I have WAY overloaded it a couple times for very short slow slow slow trips and I have carried probably 1200 lbs at highway speed a couple times as well. It also depends on how rough the road is you are driving with the load. Like I said, I never broke a leaf spring, so I am wondering about how much weight you are really hauling here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the feedback!

I was able to encourage the axle to seat the bold on both sides with a light duty ratchet and a couple of nearby trees...

@Mikecol - Interesting note on the weight. the last time I weighed I came in just under 3K with some miscelaneous shit in the back. With the build, I wouldent be surprised if I was pushing 750 at times...ill have to check it out.

thanks again!

Here are a few pics of the final product (before drawers....not light!)

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pretty friggin' cool set up! Awesome work.

I doubt you are overloaded with that in there. At least not by much. An 97 DC SR5 is rated for 1580 lbs payload. I can't imagine all that stuff being over 1000 lbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You are doing it yourself. I want to take off my bed and put a flat bed on it. So did you have any issues getting to your springs would removing the bed be easier since I need to do it for the flatbed anyway. I have definatly overloaded it before with 3000lb tote of syrup I would like to not do that and have the hauling power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts