Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
301 - 311 of 311 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm sorry for being so new to this Tundra forum. I'm a new Ham, and I'm looking for some guidance for bringing my power from the engine compartment into the Tundra cab. I don't want to start drilling holes -- is there an easy way through the rubber graumet where some wires are already running (without damaging those wires).
Any suggestions on where to install my Yaesu FT-8900R in the vehicle (under the drivers seat possibly)? Any pitfalls?
Since there's no metal on the dashboard, where and how do we mount the remote head?
Has anyone tried to take the output from the speaker jack on their ham rig and piped it into the 3.5mm Aux input jack on the trucks radio? I don't want to blow up the trucks sound system, but it seems like an easy "external" speaker (assuming it works).
I'm using a Diamond CR8900 antenna which the advertise as designed for and matched to the FT-8900. I've got a Diamond K400 Antenna Mount attached to the top edge of the front of the back driver's side door of my CrewMax. That effectively puts the top of the antenna about 12 feet in the air (I clear overpasses, but I do brush against a lot of low hanging branches).
Thanks in advance -- I'm proudly a septuagenarian but I'm still new to the hobby.

· Registered
7 Posts
Did you have any luck with the FT8900? It's my base station now, but I really want to put it in my 2013 Tundra. I just don't know how to start. Any suggestions or success stories?
Thanks in advance

· Registered
7 Posts
What about Air Flow?

WB3AIV, Good Afternoon
KF8DLD here (I'm new to the hobby, even though I've been playing and working with radios - mostly during my 27 year military career). I'm a Technician studying for my General license (I was about but not quite ready when they kicked in the next quadrenium's test questions, so there's a lot of refresher, and finish up work ahead of me). Perhaps by Oct ....

I'm not working with an ICOM yet. Right now mine's a YAESU FT-8900R.
You said you mounted the transceiver "out of site but ... still accessible in the center console"
What do you do for air flow? That's my biggest concern. Do you have any over-heating problems?? I've wondered about using my center console (it IS huge, but it also seems pretty air tight once the lid is closed).
So, I'm just curious ... I want to learn from the experience of others
Thanks and 73

I've had my General license (WB3AIV) for 50+ years and just completed an installation of my ham radio equipment in a 2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro. The following is the equipment I've installed:
1. Radio - ICOM ID-5100A ID-5100A VHF/UHF Dual Band D-STAR Transceiver - Features - Icom America
2. Control Head mounted on the windshield using a Lido Dash/Windshield mount LM-500 for ICOM ID-5100 icomid5100mount
3. Main unit mounted out of site but its still accessible in the center console.
4. Antenna - Comet Comet CA-2x4SR (dual band VHF/UHF)
5. Antenna Mount - Front Runner roof rack spotlight bracket mounted to 1 of 2 Slimline II Racks. https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...er-universal-roof-rack-spotlight-bracket.html

My wife and I did our first overland trip to Colorado this past summer and then participated in an overland rally this year in VT - what fun!

· Registered
7 Posts
Love the install on the right side of the console -- looks like I can keep mama from getting tangled up on it.
What did you do to fasten the head to the speaker grill??
Still VERY concerned about how I bring power from the engine compartment into the cab.

P.S. Love your choice of firearm -- not sure how you get away with it sitting there in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, but I do admire your choice a handgun (I'm assuming it's a .45ACP)

@JT74

Here's how mine is mounted.

· Registered
319 Posts
I just drilled a hole through the grommet in the firewall, just enough to fit the electrical wires through, the Coax is through a grommet that's located in the floor behind the drivers seat on my 2014 Double Cab.
I have a coffee cup holder goose neck with a custom made bracket that sits in the change cup in the front of the console, there I have my FT8800 and my FT891 hard units mounted together, the radios are on steel straps that is bolted under my drivers seat. this also provides an excellent ground for the radios. then I also have speakers mounted in front of the radios under my seat. I don't want the radios interfering with my Tundra. Head unit. somewhere on the Ham radio thread here, I have photo's. it's been a while since i been on here.

'73
VA7PIO

· Registered
1,443 Posts
I'm sorry for being so new to this Tundra forum. I'm a new Ham, and I'm looking for some guidance for bringing my power from the engine compartment into the Tundra cab. I don't want to start drilling holes -- is there an easy way through the rubber graumet where some wires are already running (without damaging those wires).
Any suggestions on where to install my Yaesu FT-8900R in the vehicle (under the drivers seat possibly)? Any pitfalls?
Since there's no metal on the dashboard, where and how do we mount the remote head?
Has anyone tried to take the output from the speaker jack on their ham rig and piped it into the 3.5mm Aux input jack on the trucks radio? I don't want to blow up the trucks sound system, but it seems like an easy "external" speaker (assuming it works).
I'm using a Diamond CR8900 antenna which the advertise as designed for and matched to the FT-8900. I've got a Diamond K400 Antenna Mount attached to the top edge of the front of the back driver's side door of my CrewMax. That effectively puts the top of the antenna about 12 feet in the air (I clear overpasses, but I do brush against a lot of low hanging branches).
Thanks in advance -- I'm proudly a septuagenarian but I'm still new to the hobby.
the firewall grommet with the main harness has a nipple on it, just cut the end off that and run it inside. My antenna is mounted in a stakepocket, so I ran it along the frame and up a grommet in the floor behind the driver seat, under the carpet. main unit is behind the rear seat, with an Aux speaker under the seat and the faceplate mounted on a bracket I fabbed up (just a bent piece of aluminum)

VE7TXR

Vehicle Car Center console Honda Vehicle audio

· Registered
2020 Silver Toyota Platinum Tundra 4WD
284 Posts
Well... picking up my new 2020 Platinum on Monday so today I need to pull the Kenwood and everything else out of my 2015 Limited, I'll install the radio in the new truck just like I did on the old Tundra but the Platinum has the tilt/sliding sunroof and my preference is to always pop a hole and install a NMO. So a lot measuring will be made for clearance along thought on how the RF cable will be run to make sure it's clear of any mechanical equipment so I might be radio-less for a week or so and that'll be the first time in 30 years or so. Also considering on installing one of my TM-D700s instead of the TM-V708 only for the fact it's computer programmable. Wish me luck my fellow hamsters for my 65 Y.O. body doesn't twist and tuck like it used to.

· Registered
2 Posts
I am wondering the same as I am getting ready to install at FTM-400

· Registered
284 Posts
When I installed my Kenwood TM-V708 I pretty much followed what I did on my 15 except for the antenna.

I ran both my RF and DC through the boot by the brake booster Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper
All the wires and cable are in wire loom for a little extra protection Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Since I have a sunroof I put the antenna on the front fender where the good-time radio antenna would normally be Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Sky
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Tire Motor vehicle

The RT unit is under the drivers seat along with a external speaker Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Car Personal luxury car

The control head is on the center console Light Gear shift Blue Motor vehicle Automotive design
and the mic is on the side of the console Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Car Automotive exterior

I recently upgraded to the TM-V71 and just removed/replaced the 708.

· Registered
2 Posts
When I installed my Kenwood TM-V708 I pretty much followed what I did on my 15 except for the antenna.

I ran both my RF and DC through the boot by the brake booster View attachment 896307 All the wires and cable are in wire loom for a little extra protection View attachment 896308

Since I have a sunroof I put the antenna on the front fender where the good-time radio antenna would normally be View attachment 896304 View attachment 896303

The RT unit is under the drivers seat along with a external speaker View attachment 896309

The control head is on the center console View attachment 896305 and the mic is on the side of the console View attachment 896306

I recently upgraded to the TM-V71 and just removed/replaced the 708.
Did you remove your FM antenna, as on my 2016 CM, that is the side it is on. Also, with the external speaker, did you just leave that under your seat as well.... if so, how is the sound? I was considering tapping into the 3.5 audio in of the factory stereo.

· Registered
284 Posts
Did you remove your FM antenna, as on my 2016 CM, that is the side it is on. Also, with the external speaker, did you just leave that under your seat as well.... if so, how is the sound? I was considering tapping into the 3.5 audio in of the factory stereo.
The 2020 antenna is a shark fin on top of the cab. Yes I left the speaker under the seat firing forward and it sounds fine to me. I know of hams who used the 3.5 input on their car stereo for the ham radio but I'm listening to music until I'm keying the mike.

301 - 311 of 311 Posts