Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

281 - 300 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Getting ready to pull the trigger for the setup in my new Tundra. I'm leaning toward a stake pocket bracket for the antenna mount. I have read a few write ups that use mounts from breedlove, but it looks like part numbers have changed. Without me having to tear into my truck right now to measure, does anyone know if I would need the short or long bracket?
https://www.breedlovemounts.com/ezn-stake-pocket-bracket.html
Thanks much that would be a great solution if I did not have an Undercover Tonneau cover over there trunk.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think I should have gotten the short rather than the long stake pocket mount. You can see in the picture that the bolts are angled in.
I also 3D printed a mount for the head of my Icom IC-2730A.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Just got my technician license 2 days ago. KI7MLL. Just got the book to study for General, I see this one is going to take a lot longer than the technician study materials.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Wildbill

Congrats on getting your tech license! A great first step and can get you connected with lots of opportunities. Satellite communications is interesting, along with transmitter hunting if there are any active groups around your area. Echolink is a handy tool if you are wanting to reach out further than the local area. Good luck on the general effort, the possibilities really open up, especially when it comes to spending money! :)

Bryant
W7BDB

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Wildbill

Congrats on getting your tech license! A great first step and can get you connected with lots of opportunities. Satellite communications is interesting, along with transmitter hunting if there are any active groups around your area. Echolink is a handy tool if you are wanting to reach out further than the local area. Good luck on the general effort, the possibilities really open up, especially when it comes to spending money! :)

Bryant
W7BDB
Thanks, really just stepping in slowly. Pretty new at this communication area. I operated Sincgars radios and Harris radios while in the military but the Amateur radio stuff seems extremely familiar just different color transceivers and such. Really looking forward to learning and getting on the air.

I had posted a question on a local county forum if there were in Hams in the area and any groups. My question was answered in a couple minutes by a local ham who suggested we start a group...we had our first meeting about 2 weeks later and had about 22 people show up. A few have not been back due to other things going on but they check in on the Sunday evening Net every weekend.

Not much in my area for repeaters and such right now but I think as the group gets bigger and other areas close by catch on we may get some better comms up.

I figured I'd get the technician class under my belt, so I can at least do a bit of on-air radio contacts, get used to how these radios function, programming, who I can contact, frequencies to use and what's used often as I study for my general class.

Funny thing is our local group actually has 3 VE's so we can do testing right here in town, they're currently working on getting another Extra class so we can test for all licenses...probably a few months yet before that happens.

73 to you as well

William
KI7MLL

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Looks like there are quite a few in your area, another cool amateur radio activity is the mesh. We are trying to get one going here in Oregon but all it takes a discarded Linksys Router (you have to check the models). The can be found at yard sales, eBay, Goodwill stores. Check out the site Broadband-Hamnet another way to communicate.

Kudos for getting some guys motivated, it seems to in cycles. Most folks have lots on their plates these days.

Good luck

Bryant

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had my General license (WB3AIV) for 50+ years and just completed an installation of my ham radio equipment in a 2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro. The following is the equipment I've installed:
1. Radio - ICOM ID-5100A ID-5100A VHF/UHF Dual Band D-STAR Transceiver - Features - Icom America
2. Control Head mounted on the windshield using a Lido Dash/Windshield mount LM-500 for ICOM ID-5100 icomid5100mount
3. Main unit mounted out of site but its still accessible in the center console.
4. Antenna - Comet Comet CA-2x4SR (dual band VHF/UHF)
5. Antenna Mount - Front Runner roof rack spotlight bracket mounted to 1 of 2 Slimline II Racks. https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/rack-accessories/front-runner-universal-roof-rack-spotlight-bracket.html

My wife and I did our first overland trip to Colorado this past summer and then participated in an overland rally this year in VT - what fun!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Joining now so when I catch up with LIFE, and attempt to get my Ham license, I can find you guys again.

Do I have to do anything more than subscribe, to join?

Thanks,

ToyotasForever

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ham Radio Operator requeast membership

Hi fella's: Name is Barnicalswab %, I have been a ham since 1991. I always had the itch but never had time to get my license, finally got it after I retired for the Navy (31 yr). I was hired on the local fire department where my Lt was a ham. Anyway I run mostly HF, I can run VHF/UHF but don't very often, I have a Yaesu 859D in the tundra, with a Scorpion antenna, don't need any amp have no problem reaching people ( conditions always of coure). Be glad to discuss particulars with anyone interested. Call is N7QZ and in QRZ. I would be honored to Join if accepted.0:)

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would like in as well. KK4ZXY. I am looking at getting a dual band mobile. I have a Byonics Mircotrack for my motorcycle as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
found this thread trying to search for ham installs. after 20 pages, i only see a few different installs. searched the audio visual and the main forum board but "ham" is too short and "ham radio" brings up pages of threads that have nothing to do with ham radio.

am i missing a thread where people actually have posted up pics of their installs? the op on this thread posted up for pics, but someone else posted there are other threads for the installs.

i just swapped a kenwood d710ga into one of my land cruisers, so i'm repurposing the yaesu ft7800r that was in there to my 2nd gen. so far, the pics i see online are all with the center console, but i've got a bench seat. everything is mounted except the head unit. any ideas/pics for a clean install. how do the vent mounts hold up? worst comes to worse, ill do a w/s mount

·
Registered
210 Posts
I also have the bench seat. I put the control head of my D700 on a home made bracket that I attached behind the ceiling console / sunglass holder thingy. I'm pretty sure I posted photos at one point, but for some reason the "Tools" button isn't working for me so I can't search for my posts.

It was a bit of work to get it there considering I had to first figure out how to mount it and then get the cable routed down one of the 'A' pillars and to the radio body which is under the driver's seat. But I'm happy with the results -- the display is convenient but not blocking anything critical, plus it's not very obvious which makes it less likely to attract unwanted attention.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Aloha everyone! I'd like to join. I don't have my license yet but have scheduled my test for Dec. 1st. So far I have an Icom IC-V80 HT and a Kenwood TM-v71a that will be mounted in the truck. Mahalo

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Part 1 of the installation. The rest will be done after October 1 since the truck will be going into the shop for some body damage. Used a blendmount for the face plate mount. Rest of the radio will go under the seat.

281 - 300 of 306 Posts