Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
261 - 280 of 311 Posts

· Premium Member
125 Posts
Boy howdy I understand that, I fully maintain that closest cup holder for my bride's use! So when I load all the gear including the laptop or iPad that spot remains open for her cup and I reach behind for mine. :) BTW I took a couple nice pieces of 4x4 post and turned them on a lathe to follow the taper of the cup holders. On one I added a metal plate to hold a small notebook, the other I added a piece of slotted wood to perch an iPad. Depending on which one I use, they sit in the front cup holder and the screen of either of the devices sits right up close to the trucks audio screen.

· Registered
451 Posts
Anyone have an good mobile dual band suggestions? I would prefer remote head. Budget around $350. I dont mind buying used radios.

· Registered
63 Posts
Anyone have an good mobile dual band suggestions? I would prefer remote head. Budget around $350. I dont mind buying used radios.
One major feature that may determine the direction of your purchase is the requirement for cross-band repeating. If you don't see that as a need, the options tend to get cheaper. I'm very happy with my Yaesu FT-7800R, which has since been replaced by the updated FT-7900R. It is dual band (and multi band receive), but will not cross band repeat. ~$270

If cross-band repeat is a requirement, then you might want to look at the Icom IC-2730A. It's priced fairly well, and Icom is offering a rebate on these as well. You'll want the deluxe version that includes the remote mounting kit, but after rebate would be in the ~$290 range. I don't have any experience with this radio.

My advice would be to look closely at the remote mounting aspect of the radio. Some radios still require you to connect the mic directly to the radio body, instead of the remote face. That would require running a second extension for the mic in addition to the face plate.

· "Missing a Few Liters"
4,435 Posts
Top gear has good advice. Cross-band repeating is a feature that is a separation in the radio choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· "Missing a Few Liters"
4,435 Posts
@JimP01 Exactly. The feature can add upwards of $100 to the cost of the radio. If you don't think you will use it, save the $100 and chose a model without it.

Do people use it? I have heard some on the air with it. Usually it involves two use cases. (1) the user is doing yard work and wants to use the crossband repeat feature to his permanent station for greater range {handheld to mobile rig in house shack} (2) The individual might be camping or hunting and essentially wants to set up a personal repeater of sorts from handhelds to a mobile rig. -- usually a remote area where a repeater may not exist.

If you don't think you need it, don't buy it.

· Premium Member
125 Posts
I run the Yaesu FTM-350 and it has cross-band and have only set it up to test once. It worked, it was easy to activate, and I've not used it since getting the radio about 7 years ago. However I do like the APRS/GPS features of that mobile unit, its come in very handy. I agree that 7900 is a good solid radio.

· Premium Member
125 Posts
One of the challenges you'll face is with the mobile antenna to support the VX-8. There are a couple tri band mobile antennas that give to 2m, 1.25m, and 70cm but I've not seen one that is a quad antenna with 6m included. I'd just use a cigarette lighter to power the HT so it remains portable. Remember its only a 5watt radio compared to the mobile radio unit. I have a VX-8 and carry in my vehicle religiously it loaded with special bands, GPS, APRS, and Bluetooth. Unless you have a local 6m repeater close by your QSO's in the 50MHz will be few Good luck.

· Premium Member
125 Posts
Don't think we have a moderator but welcome to the bunch! Hasn't been much banter out there lately, must be the solar minimum! :) There are quite a few pictures back in the threads on how folks placed their remote heads. I just tried to attach mine but the file was too large and I haven't figured out Windows 10 graphics yet to resize it.

Bryant
W7BDB

· Registered
7,042 Posts
Last Thursday we had our first local club meeting...rather the meeting to get the ball rolling to get a local club started. With very little time we did have 10 people show up and out of those 10 3 are VE's, so at least we could do local testing here in town. We are hoping to get the club going ASAP and start doing some community events to get the word out and show the community what HAMs can do.

I have yet to get my license but with having the club that will get me motivated to do so. Looking to just get my Tech license for now...at least get started and go from there.

· Registered
319 Posts
Just bought a 2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro and an ICOM ID-5100 dual band radio with remote control head. Looking for options to mount the control head.
[email protected]@K here, for the Lido cup holder mount LM-801exp, I have my Yaesu head mounted on this works great.

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/lido-lm-801exp-4182.html

Also look for the LM-AD1 this allows you to rotate the head unit so it doesn't get int the way of things.

2017 Update.
I got a FT-891 for Xmas and had to figure out how I'm going to install it in my Truck, So basically this is what I did mounted the base unit beside the other base unit
underneath my seat and the head units are now mounted with this which is similar to the LM-AD1, but has a longer neck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017WZY9C0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This works really good, I found a cheap metal bracket from Home Depot and that allows the 891 head unit to be screwed into it.

· Registered
12 Posts
Getting ready to pull the trigger for the setup in my new Tundra. I'm leaning toward a stake pocket bracket for the antenna mount. I have read a few write ups that use mounts from breedlove, but it looks like part numbers have changed. Without me having to tear into my truck right now to measure, does anyone know if I would need the short or long bracket?
https://www.breedlovemounts.com/ezn-stake-pocket-bracket.html

261 - 280 of 311 Posts