Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 311 Posts

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone interested in starting a Tundra Ham Radio Operators club on here? I'm sure there are a few of us that own a Tundra.

I would really like to see how you have your VHF/UHF/HF rigs mounted in your trucks, as well as your antenna mounts and anything else related to ham radio and the Tundra. Heck, how do you have your straight key mounted on the dash? :)

· Registered
7,042 Posts
Haven't got that far yet, very interested in Amateur Radio but don't have the license because apparently until you have the license you have no clue how to push a button and talk LOL. Working with a guy here locally about getting a club going and getting a few of us that are interested up to speed in order to be able to pass the test...problem for me is trying to remember all the numbers for the frequency questions and such...never been good with tests to begin with. Amateur Radio has always been interesting, just never have been able to study good enough to be able to pass even the practice tests. Hopefully this year I'll get the test done.

· Registered
7 Posts
I haven't mounted my mobile yet. Got a Kenwood TM-733, but until it warms up enough to run the power cord straight from the battery I'll carry my HT. As far as the antennae I have a thru the glass mount that I used in my other vehicle before trading it in. Seemed to work great, have pretty decent range with it but I have a Diamond that I'd love to use for the distance it has.

· Registered
2,477 Posts
Ham operator here. I have my Kenwood TM-V71a installed in my truck, mounted my mfj 1/2 wave dual band antenna on my Back Rack (NMO) with a custom mount I made (Back Rack bars are too thick).

Club sounds good! I don't talk too often on my rig. It's more for hunting/woods communications....and SHTF preparedness.

Let's get it going.....probably should require licenses if it's going to be a "HAM Radio" club.

KC1AMU

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok Ham Radio Operators, SWL and interested in the hobby, I will start off by saying welcome to the group. We might as well get the group started.

Tell us about yourself and your interests as a ham or if you're just getting started.

Tundra Ham Radio Club Members:

#1 : Vulcan1600
#2 : Wildbill23c
#3 : Grim-Reaper
#4 : Osidepunker
#5 : BigNuge
#6 : Saberman
#7 : Grim-Reaper
#8 : MT Madman
#9 : 556duckvader
#10 : Wikid
#11 : animal10
#12 : SurfinBird

Reactions: osidepunker

· Registered
4,493 Posts
Ok Ham Radio Operators, SWL and interested in the hobby, I will start off by saying welcome to the group. We might as well get the group started.

Tell us about yourself and your interests as a ham or if you're just getting started.

Tundra Ham Radio Club Members:

#1 : Vulcan1600
#2 : Wildbill23c
#3 : Grim-Reaper
#4 : Osidepunker
#5 : BigNuge
haha! Glad I was accepted!

The Truck is an overland build. A GOFAST overland build lol I plan on using it to explore the remote parts of the Americas. Comms is part of the package. I started with a CB, but realized that the CYA aspects of HAM could be valuable in the back country. So I pulled the trigger on a Kenwood TM-V71A dash radio and a TH-K20A handy. The dash radio is a full dual bander and I can use it as a mini repeater. My thought was that I could leave the Truck at a campsite and multiple handhelds can all stay in touch using the Truck as a shack. I havent actually done this as the situation hasnt come up yet, but I enjoy having a flexible comm system.

I also unlocked both of my radios. So now I can access virtually every freq out there; police/fire/aviation/rangers etc. Its only legal in a MAYDAY situation, but that could actually save my life.

I was going to get my license, but I never use the radios to just "talk". That aspect of HAM I just dont understand lol

· Registered
7 Posts
I was going to get my license, but I never use the radios to just "talk". That aspect of HAM I just dont understand lol
Hmmm...sorta like cell phones. Why would someone use those just for "talking". :confused:
I guess it just depends how much of an electronics geek you really are to understand the hobby.

Been a ham for nearly 20 years, back when they still had 5 seperate licenses and different code requirements.
Alot has changed in those 20 years. But still enjoy the hobby. Wanted to get into QSL's from different countries but could never afford the rig setups needed for most of that.

73's
KC8FLQ....mobile

Reactions: Vulcan1600

· Registered
2020 Silver Toyota Platinum Tundra 4WD
284 Posts
November-nine-tango-romeo-zulu (N9TRZ) here! I've got my antenna installed, I popped a hole in the top for an NMO mount and have the coax ran under the drivers seat. I've mounted my Kenwood TM-V708 remote head on the center console in front of the shifter but the weather and free time hasn't been cooperating to run the power and control cables, I'm hoping things will warm up here a bit when I have a couple days off work at the end of the month.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry I just realized Grim-Reaper and MT Madman had posted on here. Grim - you are #7 and MT Madman #8 .

My call is KN3A. I got licensed as a Novice in 1983. I'm one of those who was a CBer in the 1970s (and proud of it too!). I got my 20 WPM Extra in 1992. There were a few years from the mid-1990s until 2003 that I was QRT. When I got back on the air I found out so much had changed and code requirements were revamped and eventually dropped altogether. I don't have anything in the truck except for a cheap Baefeng 2/440 HT and no external antenna. I am considering a detachable faceplate and installing 2 meters in the truck eventually. I'm also not much of a talker. I enjoy contesting and mostly CW and RTTY contests. I have all wire antennas in my yard and never ran more than 100 watts since I was licensed in 1983. I have 211 countries confirmed on Logbook of the World now. There was a very rare station on the past week or so K1N in Navassa Island. Last time a ham station was on the island was like 30 years ago. I was fortunate enough to work them on 10,12,15,17,20,30,40,80 and 160 meters this week :)

So good to see there are hams, ham enthusiasts and those who understand the hobby.

73 - Scott

Reactions: osidepunker

· Registered
33 Posts
I am just trying to start out on the Ham radio, will go for my license when I track down were to do it. Not up to date on all the technology yet but what would you guys recommend for starters as a mobile setup

· Registered
2020 Silver Toyota Platinum Tundra 4WD
284 Posts
I'd recommend stay with a simple 2 meter from one of the major manufactures; Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu and stay away from the cheap Chinese ones.

Here's a link to find where you can take the test Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area and they can be a great source to help you with the question to get on the air too.

Good luck and welcome to ham radio!

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well first of all, congratulations on the studying and I'm sure you'll get your license and find a local place to get VE testing.

If you are on a very tight budget, then yes, I recommend the Chinese dual band HTs, you can get one for about $50. A real pain to program unless you use the "Chirp" program and then it's easy. If you are not on a tight budget, then I do agree with MT Madman that you want to look more towards the Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom HTs or mobile rigs.

If you are having problems finding a local place to test, let me know and I can see if I can use my VE resources and see if there are some volunteer examiners in your area that you could contact.

73 Scott

· Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Vulcan

I'm a limey and all these different state rules/fed rules and my age all take a bit of getting used to.

I've just got a 2015 crew max so would like to see some antenna mount and rig mount pics

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Vulcan

I'm a limey and all these different state rules/fed rules and my age all take a bit of getting used to.

I've just got a 2015 crew max so would like to see some antenna mount and rig mount pics
I was looking at possibly mounting a 2 meter mobile rig in my Tundra today. I at least want to have it in the truck in time for the Dayton Hamfest in May. I have a 10 minute commute to and from work each day so I really don't have time to be talking much on the radio while driving so it's not a big deal to me I guess. However, I've seen where people have mounted their mobile rigs inside the center console and apparently it's not too difficult to run the RG-8 from the back into the cab. For me, I think I'd just throw a 1/4 wave mag mount on the center of the roof and just bring the coax into the truck and bury it under the carpet if possible.

Good luck if you do install something in your Tundra, and post pictures of the install.

· Premium Member
112 Posts
Studying for my Tech now and I am going to try to get my General before June 30 so I don't have to get another book. Will post back one I get my call sign.

Reactions: Vulcan1600
1 - 20 of 311 Posts