Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a 2008 or 9 Tundra with the 5.7 liter engine. Yesterday he had a problem with his truck. While he was driving his truck the engine died. At first it would not re-start. After sitting a while it re-started. He was able to drive a very short distance then it died again. He had it towed home. Seems as though it will run a few minutes then die again. What do you think the problem is?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just read what may be the cause of my son's Tundra issue. I understand Toyota is having major issues with their fuel pumps. Anyone else having similar problems this may be the issue.

·
Registered
13,805 Posts
It's a 12-13 year old vehicle, it could be a multitude of issues.

The fuel pump issues Yota is having is flex fuel related. Essentially it doesn't know if it's running E85 or not. My pump has been on backorder for about two months. At that time there were something close to 500 on backorder.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I’ve never heard of the Tundras having fuel pump problems. But that doesn’t mean the fuel pump or fuel filter is not your problem. The good news is that they are in the same place, the fuel tank. There are probably some lights on the dashboard warning of an issue. If not there’s probably still codes. The fuel tank is not that hard to deal with especially if it is close to empty. There’s a large nut on top you back off. The pump and filter come out together.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I forgot to say you have to lower the tank. A jack and a board to spread out the weight works well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had stalling issues after battery replacement, turned out I just needed to clean the throttle body and maf sensor.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have noticed that when I disconnect my battery that the ECM seems to reset and my mileage drops back about 3 mpg. I don't know the cause, but the mileage slowly gets better and better until it returns to normal. This process takes a long time (maybe 10,000 miles and more than a couple months). It is like it is going through a new truck break in period every time I disconnect the battery. As a result, I try not to ever power down the ECM. Service techs have a way to plug into the ECM to keep it powered during maintenance so it does not reset (such as when you need to replace the battery).

I am guessing that is what has happened to yours. Give it a few weeks and see if it gets better over time. Mine has always returned to normal, but it is frustrating that it takes so long.

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
Your symptoms are classic fuel pump failure. Have the fuel pressure tested

1 - 8 of 8 Posts