Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Tundra Frame

6K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Bad Beagle 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any luck recently having their frame replace. My 2005 had been treated with a coating years ago, should Toyota have continued treating the frame.I have come to find out that my frame has a crack, is there any recourse? I would appreciate any help with this issue. Thanks

#3 ·
Your right, what was I thinking, I have owned it for 10 years, maintained it religiously, there's not a speck of rust on the body, 108k miles. Mechanically its flawless. if Toyota knew they had a problem with frames up north why would I think they should have been a little more proactive. Do you think they would have saved any money replacing frames if they offered their customers an annual frame treatment program. Because of this issue it lowers the value of the vehicle. I was expecting more of this truck when I invested in it. More than 16 years!

#4 ·
You are right. I recently (1-11-21)took my 03 Tundra in for air bag recall. Service tech informed me of the frame inspection and recall. Rust damage was detected and they informed me " by law I was not allowed to have my truck back untill frame is replaced". I was shocked!! Toyota accepted responsibility for a inferior product. Lot more to the story because 3 months later they still have my truck. You,I and that other 'fella' have every right to expect quality and durability from manufacturers.

#6 ·
I bought my '19 dc brand new. First thing I did was roll around on a creeper with frame paint. Toyota care ran out so I'm changing the oil myself now, last time I was under the truck the frame is still all black. I plan on respraying it this spring. My dads '99 Silverado's frame broke in two just behind the cab a couple of years ago. GM or ford have never done a thing for any of their customers that I know of.

#7 ·
Good call on inspections and I'm with you on Manufacturers backing their brand. I did not expect Toyota to warranty a truck that was 18 years old. I do expect Toyota or any other manufacturer to honor a recall no matter the age. Toyota 'admitted' to the frame issue and put steps in place to rectify the problems. A side note though. I never heard of the frame recall the entire time that I've owned the truck. Even when it went to a dealership for a repair I was unable to perform. I have however been hounded by these pesky airbag repair recall!

#10 ·
If the truck was taken in and Toyota treated the frame then I believe that then covers the extent of the recall. Two years ago my truck wouldn't pass inspection due to the frame. I had bought the truck used in '05 (it's a '00) in North Carolina, so not a spot of rust. Brought it up to New York in '06, and it's been here ever since. Like I said wouldn't pass inspection and my mechanic suggested that we take it to a dealer. They replaced the frame due to it never being in for the coating or replacement. I do have to say that the frame that they put on, while nice, doesn't seem to be as thick as the original. But hey, it's a 20 year old vehicle. So we paid $1200 for brake and fuel lines when they did the frame. I also had them put an after market bumper on that I provided. They were happy to do it "free" because that meant that they didn't have to try and remove the rusted original bumper brackets. The bumper was also at end of life. Win-win. The rear diff was also rusted bad, and they quoted me $8000 to replace that. I bought a used diff off ebay for $700 and my mechanic installed it for $700. They had the truck for three weeks or so.

#12 ·
Don’t know if it will be the same, but I have friend that had the same problem with the same year recently. They offered him $$$ for a trade. He told them he wanted a new frame. He was without the truck for a few weeks. After that, traded it in for a F-150. He said it was a recall issue and it didn’t cost him a dollar. Don’t hold me to it because I really don’t know except he is in a new F150.

#13 ·
I would be interested in a " buy back" option rather then sink more money into the truck or hassle with Corporate . I didn't expect this at all! My 03 Tundra been the best, no trouble till now. FYI, Toyota "customer experience" or 'complaint' department' is slightly above poor. Staff adsoutly don't comunicate. I will understand the legal issues but I want my truck or at least some answers.

#15 ·
Interesting. My frame has rust holes on each side in front of leaf spring mounts. Wasn't obvious untill dealership started 'pokeing' at em. I spent a good amount of time on phone yesterday. Here are some numbers I contacted, be ready for a runaround,these guys are good. They even refered me the other 800 numbers for help. Have your VIN ready 800 228 8549. 855 999 0518 and the yoyo's at 800 331 4331 are just a notch above worthless. And of course our good friends at 844 252 6327. These are the recall 'work from home' folks who started my whole mess, they don't know anything but what's in front of them at the time. From other threads at other sides, private conversations and a talk with our local repair shop. I will be stuck with any additional part charge or change.

#16 ·
I bought my 2000 truck in 2009 used in OR with 113000 miles. I then drove it do WI and had it for 4 years there and during that time Toyota recognized the recall on the Frame and completely replaced it. It took a few days. Truck was fine for another 4-5 years and then had electrical problems that no one could figure out. I dont know if it was linked. I would check with Toyota about replacing this. They have reputation for both rock solid vehicles and excellent customer support (so I thought- maybe it's drifted over the years).

I didnt know it was only for 00-03 for the recall. I'd still check with them. I glanced at an invoice on what I didnt pay for the new frame ($10000). Would not have been worth it to pay for that.

#19 ·
There's a couple of threads on frame replacements, and shockingly there's a bunch of different experiences with getting it replaced under the recall.
I had a 2000 that was in great condition inside and out with the exception of the rusted out frame. It was successfully replaced in 2010, which left me with a truck that handled again as well as it looked. I ran the truck a few more years until it was totaled by a distracted driver.
I also had a 2005 4Runner with an undriveable rusted frame (similar to the Tacoma that were covered by the recall during those years), This also was in great shape and ran beautifully, but Toyota would not stand behind the 4Runner's frames.
Exact same problem, same company selling them. Two different experiences.

#20 ·
3-17-2021. I have contacted my State attorney general. Filed a complaint. Reason " no repair rate". Also filed with the NHTSA. emailed the US District court referring to recall and my issues. FYI, I received a call from 2and level from corporate Toyota. Saddly I had to " 3peat" all the information AGAIN.!! Rep was sympathetic but very 'wishy-washy' on any solution. Seems there are no frames to be had??? WTH.??

#22 ·
The final answer is yes. At first dealership set me up through Enterprise on a car. That was unacceptable,my Tundra is a work truck,farm and part-time job use. We settled on a 2020 Dodge Laramie 4x4. Power everything,heated seats and steering wheel. All the bells and whistles. This truck is a"pretty boy". Big pooch on towing and hauling. Been stuck twice in snow do to zero ground clearance. Yes I still have it. Had to provide a#1,credit card#2 50$ deposit#3 proof in insurance#4 use there "full" coverage insurance or provide my own #drivers license before I could set behind wheel. It's not a Toyota.

#23 ·
First of all I have been informed by my family members that I hijacked a thread. Please accept my apologies. I am very very new to this. Let me finish my hijacking and let everyone know that Toyota has agreed to replace the frame and in the process of doing it now. As soon as I can figure out I will post another thread on the progress and cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.