Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2011 4.6 Tundra in march of 2011 i have had a few problems the first of them while pulling a 16 foot trailer my gas line busted i had it towed to the dealer they looked at it and told me i hit somthing and I would have to pay after argueing for about 30 min they finally fixed it at no charge 2 weeks later while driveing home from work it caught on fire under the hood on the drivers side so I had it towed to the dealer and once agian the said i had hit somthing and i needed to contact my insurance so I did the did there inspection and they found that i didnt hit anything so toyota engenners had to come out they found that i had a faulty wiring harness in all 4 of the fuel injectors on the drivers side (This wole process took 36 days all of which i did not have a rental or a loaner )due to toyota claming i had hit somthing which i did not I am cureently in the process of toyota buying it back but it is not looking like thaey will has any one had an experiance with this and if so some advice would be appriciated

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Get a lawyer ASAP

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Man, sounds like you got hosed. I am disappointed in how you were treated - not cool.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
You might want to check the contract you signed with them and see if you agreed to arbitration in the small print.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As was mentioned; bite the bullet, and call a lawyer.

·
Registered
13,849 Posts
how many miles?

and being as it was new, and you took it in, they atempted to fix it, and obviously didnt, the dealer put you at major risk, you could have died.

get a lawyer, and they will give you another new truck which they should do.

its not necessarily toyotas fault, most likely the dealers for being asshats and not knowing how to properly diagnose something.

where was the leak the first time?

maybe it wasn't really the fuel line at all, and an injector issue possibly>?

·
Registered
338 Posts
That sucks. Like they said get a lawyer and file a lemon law on it.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
All these arm chair lawyers.

Has anyone read the federal lemon law or even the Lemon law for the state he lives in?

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
^He never stated what state he lives in. Or if it has spell check.

I hope your documenting the hell out of this whole ordeal. If not you might want to start. And yes get a lawyer. I would be contacting too many people. The dealership: tech, service manager, his supervisor, the owner, Toyota HQ, BBB and quite possibly the local media.

Unfortunately you are probably the first to report this problem. They probably will buy it back. But the squeaky wheel gets the oil. So start screaming from the mountain tops. We all have been screwed with small to medium transactions. But you're getting screwed big time.

BTW when it caught on fire. Did you notify the authorities? Did you get a copy of their report? It will help you later. I don't wish to be in your shoes. But I would start typing out letters to all the above mentioned. Phone calls will only get you so far. When the CEO of a corporation receives a letter & noticed all the CC's also receiving the letter. Damage control is not far away. Good luck!

·
Registered
13,849 Posts
i do actually know the lemon law, i almost had to use it twice on my chevy, the third time they fixed one issue correct, the other issue i just ended up selling the truck... they wouldnt replace the t case till it totally failed, didnt matter that it was going into neutral while i was on the highway with a trailer behind me...

im also not an arm chair lawyer, however do have lawyers in the family...

and i dont care what anyone says, but if you have a new vehicle and it leaks fuel, then they try to not fix it under warranty and say you hit something when it was concluded that wasn't the issue, then later it catches fire, after it was in a shop for a fuel leak, then it is either the dealers issue or toyotas, and in this case most likely the dealers.

just imagine if a family member was in it and you went into a 7-11 to get a slurpee and great gramma got toasted.

then would we still be armchair lawyers?

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
im also not an arm chair lawyer, however do have lawyers in the family...
My Brother is an orthopedic surgeon but he ain't giving me any of his overflow business.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I think due to the fire and faulty wire harness, I think Toyota picks it up automatically. For tear down, and investigation.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

·
Registered
13,849 Posts
My Brother is an orthopedic surgeon but he ain't giving me any of his overflow business.

:rolleyes:

its not like im giving law advice...

so, you think he should just deal with having a new truck that got burnt because the dealer obviously employs morons and/or toyota sold a truck that could have possibly killed his family, maybe if it was in the garage burnt the entire house while everyone slept...

ok.

totally related to doing orthopedic surgery.

if it was your new truck would you just want it fixed or would you rather get a new truck?

i think all of us would agree on what the answer to that is.

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
and i dont care what anyone says, but if you have a new vehicle and it leaks fuel, then they try to not fix it under warranty and say you hit something when it was concluded that wasn't the issue, then later it catches fire, after it was in a shop for a fuel leak, then it is either the dealers issue or toyotas, and in this case most likely the dealers.
I actually had a GM dealer screw up some minor work on a previous car. And since I didn't inspect it before I left. They claimed I hit something also. Pathetic the way companies operate nowadays. But since so many people try to scam & get over on anyone. Guess it's par for the course. The OP issue is a little different & lot more serious though.

·
Registered
373 Posts
yea I got to get back with VW they are saying the reason why the coating on the wheels of the wifes car is pealing is due to debie (SP?) If they desgin something to where it can be affected by something on the road or what not they have major issues. I don't stand for that crap. I told the Serivce manager that it was BS straight to his face. Don't feed me a crap line like that.

My Dad was a service manager for Ford so I know how a lot of things work what they can and can not due a lot of times is up to the service manager.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
its not like im giving law advice...

so, you think he should just deal with having a new truck that got burnt because the dealer obviously employs morons and/or toyota sold a truck that could have possibly killed his family, maybe if it was in the garage burnt the entire house while everyone slept...

ok.

totally related to doing orthopedic surgery.

if it was your new truck would you just want it fixed or would you rather get a new truck?

i think all of us would agree on what the answer to that is.
I am not saying that at all.

If you reread what I said, My first comment was for him to look at his sales contract. It is a known fact that companies are putting clauses in the contracts that do not allow you to sue them. You have to go to arbitration.

The other thing is , According to Federal Lemon Laws, the dealership has X amount of chances to correct the problem before you have any recourse.

Everyone was saying, Get a Lawyer. Get a Layer.
I just proposed that he read the fine print in his contract, read the federal Lemon Laws as well as the lemon laws in the state he resides in , then if he has any questions, contact a lawyer.

Lawyers don't work for free although many will give a first consultation at no charge.

I referred to my brother being an orthopedic surgeon because you stated that you have lawyers in your family. I just didn't see any relation to how that made you qualified to give advice on what he should do.

No, I would not take what he has had happen to him laying down. But before I got a lawyer, I would read the contract I signed and make sure I didn't waste my time.

Documenting all contact he has with the dealer and getting everything in writing is absolutely a good idea.

That's all I was saying.

BTW, I wasn't trying to be a smartass although I am very capable of being one.

I just think doing due diligence before contacting a lawyer would be the correct thing to do.

·
Registered
13,849 Posts
I am not saying that at all.

If you reread what I said, My first comment was for him to look at his sales contract. It is a known fact that companies are putting clauses in the contracts that do not allow you to sue them. You have to go to arbitration.

The other thing is , According to Federal Lemon Laws, the dealership has X amount of chances to correct the problem before you have any recourse.

Everyone was saying, Get a Lawyer. Get a Layer.
I just proposed that he read the fine print in his contract, read the federal Lemon Laws as well as the lemon laws in the state he resides in , then if he has any questions, contact a lawyer.

Lawyers don't work for free although many will give a first consultation at no charge.

I referred to my brother being an orthopedic surgeon because you stated that you have lawyers in your family. I just didn't see any relation to how that made you qualified to give advice on what he should do.

No, I would not take what he has had happen to him laying down. But before I got a lawyer, I would read the contract I signed and make sure I didn't waste my time.

Documenting all contact he has with the dealer and getting everything in writing is absolutely a good idea.

That's all I was saying.

BTW, I wasn't trying to be a smartass although I am very capable of being one.

I just think doing due diligence before contacting a lawyer would be the correct thing to do.
the reason i stated that i have lawyers in the fam is because i have no reason to be nor do i try to be an armchair lawyer...

orthopedic surgery really doesn't fit lol hahaha.

i have read all of the sales contracts that i have had, and never have i read a clause where if a dealer tries to not fix a fuel leak, and then there is a fire, and its a new truck, i would just say that being as the dealer already tried to not fix a safety hazard once chances are that they will try to say this is the owners issue or try to make an attempt to fix his vehicle which with the way they seem to handle their repairs chances are it will never be 100%...

and lawyers arent free, but our trucks cost more than a pretty penny...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts