Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Tundra cooling fan possibilities!

96K views 402 replies 62 participants last post by  dirtydeeds 
#1 · (Edited)
Tundra cooling fan kits available!

I have been wanting to install cooling fans on the Tundra for a while and have done so much research, I looked at all the cooling fans that Toyota has installed on there vehicles in the last 10 yrs and noticed that the Sienna has the cooling fans that would come the closest to fitting in size and it has the overflow tank that is mounted to the cooling fan assembly. I noticed that the sienna uses a cooling fan control module but wasn't sure how it worked, so I decided to call TRD sparks about my Questions, he referred me to the TIS website so I registered and payed for two days to research the Sienna diagrams and noticed that the Cooling fan control module is controlled by the ECM via a signal wire, #43. I then checked the tundra diagrams and noticed on the same connector on the ecm #43 controls the cotrol valve for the air injection. That pretty much a tells me why toyota decided not use cooling fans on the tundra, I think they figured out that the heads were dirty and had no choice but use the cooling fan circuit for the air injection, if we could only figure out how to program the ECM, we would have cooling fans. The Sienna cooling fans could still be used they would just need the control haness and module. I was just really hoping that the contol signal could be tapped into on the ecm so we could have control over the fans.

#2 · (Edited)
Cooling fan for the engine? Radiator? A/C?
As far as I understand, stock cooling fan that is driven by the motor is sufficient unless you're trying to cool something else. But if you're talking about more cooling inside the cab then that's diff. Our AC cooling fan inside is clearly weak.

Also there is no way you can hack that ecu to reprogram it in anyway (for now). It's lock tight as Fort Knox. Why not just use a relay and have it turned on whenever the engine is running?

#4 ·
I am just trying to compare the Tundra to the silverado, when the 99 silverado came on the seen it was using the LS1 in it and the LS1 pcm that was already set up for the cooling fans, all you had to was add the pin to the harness on the PCM and then turn them on in the PCM. In 2003 GM went ahead and started installing the electric cooling fans and it made a huge difference.

#5 ·
Still, what is your reasoning do have electric fans? Are you trying to pick up a few extra HP or get a bit better gas milage?

I seem to recall the Saquoias' have electric fans, or they did on generation 1's. Maybe do some reasearch on those trucks. Pretty close in construction, the Tundra vs Saquoia.

I, myself have always been interested in this, but it has never been a real priority.

Later

KO

#7 ·
I want both power and MPG and Sequoia's only had aux fans for airconditioning it is like a single 10" fan or something.

I am thinking of purchasing the Sienna Cooling fan assembly but I am not sure what type of signal the ECM sends to the cooling fan module, if it is can bus signal no way would that work. The relays for the power fuses can be purchased as well and according to the diagram it is wired into the HTR fuse for control voltage.

#9 ·
Well the way I see it the fans were designed to cool an engine with no engine room and the tundra has more than enough room under there and it is all aluminum. The mechanical fan that is in use is tiny for the engine, the radiator is like 26x30 and uses a 18" fan, the sienna fan is like 20x27 and it has the overflowtank mounted to it. I have decided that I would use the painless cooling fan control module.

#11 ·
You've put this much work into the research, don't stop now.

Back in the day, had an S-10 pickup with the 2.8 v6. I McGiyvered an electric fan for that truck. I was amazed at how much power the machanical fan robbed off that little motor. We ran that truck for years with the electric fan with no adverse affects that we could tell.

I know I'm very curious what the Tundra would be like with an electric fan. It would be worth it alone just on start up. Those fans are stupid loud on start up.

#13 ·
Yeah it looks like you can pick the fan assembly up on ebay for about $100 new, with toyota cooling fan module $140 Dorman parts though! I just would give anything if there was a pin on the ecm that was preprogramed for the cooling fans, but when I researched it, the ecm was using pin 43 for the air injection. The truck that I have now is a brand new 2012 with full warranty so I would not want to loose it.

#14 ·
Be cool is where I would look if you decide to go non oem...

at one point they had a kit for a taco, I was going to try to adapt it to an Fj but I never did, they said they would soon (at the time) release one for the fj.

Flex-a-lite also makes a kit for 1st gen's... maybe they do or will a 2nd gen...

#15 ·
It is not only the size and design of the fan, but also the motor driving it. Toyota frequently lists the motor KW for models on the TIS webpage. If I have a chance, I'll dig around there and see what has the largest motors.

Toyota builds the overflow into the shroud to save money. Ideally, it should be mounted off to the side and that space used for airflow.

This is a great project, and while not for everybody, I want to see you succeed! :cool:

#17 ·
I have a flex-a-lite electric fan kit on my f150. The kit has paid for itself MANY times over in mileage (+1-1.5mpg). Extra power is just a plus. The flex-a-lite controller has been a pain. I am on my third one (but they do keep improving it) with about 120k miles on the fans (210k on the truck). I am considering the generic kit for the tundra. I would order a tundra specific kit the second I found out it was released...

#18 ·
If someone made one I would buy it, I woulda the fj too, but I lost interest...

#19 ·
Is there a problem with wiring it to a simple temp switch with a relay?
In my experience, the controllers are an added level of potential failure. (as Shaun5 mentioned)

#23 ·
i don't see how much of a benefit this would have, even in the 110 degree heat pulling a fully loaded trailer my temp nor trans gauge moved a bit...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.