Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 1299 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Can you back that up?

Nope, I guess I could back up a few feet if I had to.

I only made one stop for burgers on the way to the campground. It’s a nice 4 lane hwy up to the he lake we are at. Not much traffic and just a couple small towns. Less than 2 hours away. It was a good chance to try it out. I couldn’t tell it was back there and could only see it when I made a turn so that was weird. I need to get a camera on the back of the camper.

Edit:
I actually had to back it up on the way home. I pulled up to a gas pump that didn’t work and had to back up the the one behind it. It actually did fine but there is no way I could control where the boat went. I just got lucky and it stayed almost perfectly straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mrmachinist not to far I see, I live in Pineville area.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Howdy from Ruston guys - I didn’t know Indian Creek in Woodworth was nice like that, thanks for posting the pics.

And nice Tundra too :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Howdy from Ruston guys - I didn’t know Indian Creek in Woodworth was nice like that, thanks for posting the pics.

And nice Tundra too :)

We really like it here. If you are into tent camping they have a super nice primitive area. I did a little 4 wheeling to show some family some good spots today.

I was able to get one of the best spots for this weekend. They book 90 days out and the prime spots are taken right away. I got lucky and got this one for the first time. My son loves to fish and he wanted a fishing party for his 10th birthday so here we are.

I live down in Lake Charles so we come here every few months for a nice weekend.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My son had a soccer tournament out of town so we found a pretty cool campground. Poche’s Fish-N-Camp. Enjoyed what little time we spent there over the weekend. We will probably go back to let my son do some fishing.

Another nice one, thanks for sharing

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Had a last minute weekend trip to Palmetto Island State Park. My first time there. We had a good time. Most of the spots were very private with woods in between them.

Had my first mishap with the camper this afternoon on the way home. My latch handle bracket for the Andersen hitch caught my bed rail. Messed up the plastic and dented the metal underneath but luckily no exposed metal or paint damage. I’m going to move it to another location to prevent it from happening again.

I have 7 1/4” from the bedrail to the camper. How much room do you other 5er guys have?

·
Registered
13 Posts
MrMachinist and any other CrewMax pulling 5th wheelers! I just got my CM a couple weeks ago, I have a travel trailer and would like to go to a 5th wheel down the road but, it said something in the manual that you can’t do a 5th wheel connection. I figured it was something to do with clearance and turning radius. What’s the big deal and what have y’all done to make it work?
Thanks for any input/advice (hopefully I didn’t miss any posts related to 5th wheel)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
MrMachinist and any other CrewMax pulling 5th wheelers! I just got my CM a couple weeks ago, I have a travel trailer and would like to go to a 5th wheel down the road but, it said something in the manual that you can’t do a 5th wheel connection. I figured it was something to do with clearance and turning radius. What’s the big deal and what have y’all done to make it work?
Thanks for any input/advice (hopefully I didn’t miss any posts related to 5th wheel)

I have a gooseneck hitch in the bed and the Andersen 5th wheel adapter. It moved the camper about 10” back. I can get almost 90 degrees if I need to. Not sure how other campers would do. Mine is made a little different (it tapers toward the front and doesn’t extend over the kingpin). I didn’t want a 5er honestly. I just couldn’t pass up the father in law deal I got on it.

I know others use a slider hitch.

I don’t remember seeing that in the manual. I’ll see what it says today. My build thread has some info as to what I’ve done to the truck and there are a couple 5th wheel threads on here.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Man. I’m so sorry to hear that.

I have about four inches of clearance since the truck is lifted, it was about five and a half or so before but i dropped the head on the hitch one bolt hole to help with the fifth wheel being nose high. so I have to be very careful when the camper goes into a tilt if backing into a site. I did lean the camper quite a bit at gulf shores Alabama because we showed up late at night and the DW wasn’t cooperating with me backing in.

(Now on a side note if the hitch is slide to the tailgate it helps when turning tight and the fifth wheel leaning)which I have only done about two or three times.

so I went off the pad quite a bit because of the angle of the site and the camper in front. It caused the underneath of the nose to rest on the rail and I didn’t realize it as I was looking for the darn tree on the opposite side. I turned hard and moved forward causing the bedrail to rub the underneath of the fifth wheel and catch the front cap seal and break it off. Of course the truck was fine but that same plastic protector for the bed rail was like sand paper to the gel coat on the camper. It left a nasty half moon scrape that I had to use some rubbing compound to buff out and reattach the front cap seal with new caulking and new screws.

But so far that was the only issue with the height over the bed rails.

Now for some stupidity I had to replace the tailgate. Simply taking shortcuts.... I had my driveway pressure washed and wanted the guys to get under the camper so I moved it about 100 feet forward and of course the stupid claw on the hitch wasnt spring latching all the way. So I said well I’m only moving it a little.. The driveway is at an incline a bit not much. Long story short the fiver detached from the hitch and fell on the bed and the king pin enjoyed stretching the heck outta the tailgate. Thank god I only had the front jacks up about 5 or 6 inches. But surprisingly the bed rails had no damage but the tailgate lol that looked like a boomerang and unbelievably it never opened as it held all the weight of the fifth wheel rolling back plus it still went up and down lol.

Expensive lesson learned the insurance company said it was a collision, I said how it should be comprehensive, I wasn’t even in the truck driving. It all happened as I was walking back down the driveway to the house when I heard bam!!. I have a zero dollar deductible? So after arguing I took it to the body shop and paid 1800 dollars for a new one and paint with install, i was furious.. I will always latch the part that has a hole to put a padlock through. The newer tundras have embossed words on the bed and the tailgate that causes the cost to be ridiculous.

While my truck was being repaired a brand new f350 DRW truck had the whole aluminum bed smashed like a pancake because his fifth wheel came off at 20 mph. His damage was over 15000. New bed tailgate and bumper. Plus the fifth wheel damaged the whole front nose on impact.

I was so mad I didn’t even take pictures to remind myself!! Lol now my wife always asks did you lock it???

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Decided to spend the weekend with my older son at the deer lease this weekend. It rained all day Yesterday I was hoping it wouldn’t be too bad getting the camper in the only clearing large enough to fit it. (I have a small 80 acre tract leased, not a large hunting club with a campground)

First time boondocking as well. Not too bad. I’m just paranoid to kill the battery and run out of water.

Got stuck on my initial try. Ha to winch it out. Tried moving it over on higher ground but still couldn’t get it any further off the road. Tires caked up.

Very thankful for my multi mount winch. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow morning without having to winch. Or tearing anything up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Looks good, man I wish I could be out right now but lovely work :(.

Let some air out of those tires, well if you have a pump to replace the air.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
No air pump unfortunately. I need to add a quick connect to my air bag compressor and carry an air line. I could adjust my tire pressure with it. Thought about making a bait cannon for surf fishing and using that to charge it with air.

I’ll get out before the rain starts tomorrow.

This will be the last time the camper comes. Here unless it hasn’t rained in weeks. Lesson learned.

1261 - 1280 of 1299 Posts