Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else with the Bluetooth set-up in their 07/08 Tundra having trouble with people being able to hear or understand you on the phone?

Everyone I talk to over my truck's mic and bluetooth sync says they can hardly hear or understand me.

The other day I called 911 when I came up on a woman who totaled her car on an icy freeway transition, and I had to scream and repeat myself 2 to 3 times before the operator could understand me... Not good in an emergency.

Maybe I just have a lousy mic, but I'd like to see if others out there are having the same problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with mine when calling friends and family. Most of the time, they can't hear me when I go through the known dead spots in my area and usually it just disconnects me.

This is one feature that I really like in this truck and have made full use of. I carry two phones on me, one for my job and one for my personal calls/life. I can hook one of the phones (usually my personal Nextel) up to the car blue tooth and use my headset for my Blackberry.

One thing I noticed is that if the volume is too loud on the stereo, it will wash out sometimes what you are saying. Unfortunately, I like my tunes loud so it;'s always up in the 25-30 range, however, I back it down in the 10-15 range for phone calls.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had pretty good luck with mine when calling friends and family. Most of the time, they can't hear me when I go through the known dead spots in my area and usually it just disconnects me.

This is one feature that I really like in this truck and have made full use of. I carry two phones on me, one for my job and one for my personal calls/life. I can hook one of the phones (usually my personal Nextel) up to the car blue tooth and use my headset for my Blackberry.

One thing I noticed is that if the volume is too loud on the stereo, it will wash out sometimes what you are saying. Unfortunately, I like my tunes loud so it;'s always up in the 25-30 range, however, I back it down in the 10-15 range for phone calls.
Thanks for the feed-back. From what you say it sounds like it might be my mic, because I have plenty of signal strength for my reception and my calls are never dropped. I just have to yell at the top of my lungs for anyone to hear me, which I shouldn't need to do.

It's weird, you say you can hear your radio while you're on the phone? Whenever I use the phone sync through the truck; either to call out or when receiving a call, the radio or CD player automatically cuts off until I push the end call button, and I only hear the person I'm talking to over the speakers. So I hear them perfectly fine, but they can't hear me hardly at all.

Hmmm... Looks like a trip to the service department for me.:(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the feed-back. From what you say it sounds like it might be my mic, because I have plenty of signal strength for my reception and my calls are never dropped. I just have to yell at the top of my lungs for anyone to hear me, which I shouldn't need to do.

It's weird, you say you can hear your radio while you're on the phone? Whenever I use the phone sync through the truck; either to call out or when receiving a call, the radio or CD player automatically cuts off until I push the end call button, and I only hear the person I'm talking to over the speakers. So I hear them perfectly fine, but they can't hear me hardly at all.

Hmmm... Looks like a trip to the service department for me.:(
Nope, my stereo/XM/CD will cut out also. It when the volume is too high during the phone call that it sometimes washes out the mic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my prob is with the BT not picking up the call fast enought and i have to call the party back. this is only when moving >5mph. at a stop i've got it on the first ring.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm told it's hard to hear me and definitely only one person can talk at the same time. Worst part is.... I have Nextel and the "Direct connect" REALLY throws the BT into fits. Any help out there for direct connect users?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is anyone else with the Bluetooth set-up in their 07/08 Tundra having trouble with people being able to hear or understand you on the phone?

Everyone I talk to over my truck's mic and bluetooth sync says they can hardly hear or understand me.

The other day I called 911 when I came up on a woman who totaled her car on an icy freeway transition, and I had to scream and repeat myself 2 to 3 times before the operator could understand me... Not good in an emergency.

Maybe I just have a lousy mic, but I'd like to see if others out there are having the same problem.
I have the same exact problem. It happens about 30% of the time. If you hang up and call again, it seems to cure the problem. If you can't do that, I turn off the Bluetooth on my phone and/or on the car.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
No problems here - the usual traffic noise when on the freeway, but nothing uncommon. I have a similar setup with my 3rd party GPS (mounted next to the rearview mirror). I use the GPS bluetooth hands-free with the company phone and the truck bluetooth with my personal phone - both work the same way.
The only problem I have with bluetooth is the voice recognition. I'm a Brit, the voice prompt often mistakes 'confirm' for 'cancel'. So I'll add a new number, add the speed-dial, add the name etc. Finally I say 'confirm' and the response is 'cancelled' :rolleyes: Consequently I have just two numbers stored, and dial the others using the iPhone keypad instead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a Tundra 08, with a 6cd changer and bluetooth. No controls on wheel.
Book says to use the radio (audio/control knob) for the phone. Nothing happens. There does not seem to be a way of setting up the phone. My phone is blue tooth but cannot find the trucks device to pair with it . What am I doing wrong ?

Any ideas Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have a Tundra 08, with a 6cd changer and bluetooth. No controls on wheel.
Book says to use the radio (audio/control knob) for the phone. Nothing happens. There does not seem to be a way of setting up the phone. My phone is blue tooth but cannot find the trucks device to pair with it . What am I doing wrong ?

Any ideas Thanks.

Dan
Sorry Dan, I haven't heard of that set-up. I've got a Limited with the controls on the steering wheel and that's where you set up the device sync with the bluetooth. Well that, and watching the display on the radio/CD player.

There's nothing in the owner's manual to help you out?

If no one can help you here, the dealerships are usually very happy to show you how things work.

·
"Toy Master"
629 Posts
i have the jbl 6-disc with steering wheel controls. there is a seperate volume level for stereo and bluetooth. my usual stereo volume is around 20, but when the blue tooth kicks in -- it say 3 or 4.

don't have any problems using it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bluetooth w/ Palm Treo 750 (AT&T)

I had contacted a few folks on here asking questions about linking a Palm Treo 750 (WM5) to the Tundra. When I bought the truck in July '07, it linked right up. Sometime in October is stopped working. Since i could link my wife's Moto Razr to the truck, I figured it was something wierd w/ the phone.

I had the truck at the Toyota dealer for the 5000 mile svc in December. I asked them to check the bluetooth thing then. They came back saying that the truck was working fine and that it must be my phone. They then showed me that the phone was 'unsupported' (according to Toyota on the Letstalk.com site). Of course no one could venture to explain why it worked originally and then just stopped! :confused:

Anyway, I came home and messed around w/ it a bit longer and finally realized that when I was entering the passkey, I was not putting the Treo into 'numeric lock' mode and it was apparently sending a mix of alpha and numeric to the bluetooth receiver on the Tundra. Once I realized this, it paired right up again. Still no idea why it quite in the first place though.

My next task is to try to figure out what is up w/ the phonebook. I cannot get it to xfr from the phone. Again, this function works fine w/ my wife's Raazr. Maybe Moto just makes better stuff!!

Any suggestions or experience comments would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Randy, I have Treo 700w and I too cannot get the phone book to transfer. I don't have any problems connecting to BT, but whenever I try to upload the phone book, it just says its connecting on the NAV screen, but nothing happens.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have the jbl 6-disc with steering wheel controls. there is a seperate volume level for stereo and bluetooth. my usual stereo volume is around 20, but when the blue tooth kicks in -- it say 3 or 4.

don't have any problems using it.
Same here, if I have my JBL at high volumes, the bluetooth comes on at 8 at the highest. Usually have to turn it down to about 5.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have bluetooth with the nav and steering controls, auido volume automatically lowers when connected. Mic works fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts