Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
planing on purchasing a new travel trailer to use at the dirt bike events. my question is the two models I'm looking at are within my tow rating and hitch weights.

Outback 250rs 7500 GVWR and 640 hitch
Outback 292bh 8200 GVWR and 850 hitch

I know my 2010 DC 8' bed 5.7 can handle the campers, the concern is loading the bed of the truck with 3 dirt bikes weighing ~250lbs each and 3 adults ~200lbs each. I will be over the payload of the truck.

Does adding airbags or the WDH change this, or just level the truck and camper?

I have considered toy haulers, but would rather keep the gasoline and mud out of the living space and in the bed of the truck.

I could also hang one of the bikes off the back of the trailer using a hitch carrier. of course this will take some trailer fabrication for the hitch to support the load.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You would be over your payload by about 800#s (give or a take 100#s) with either option. I'm in the same boat, minus two fat friends and two bikes. Keep in mind gas, pressure washer, generator and all the other bs us mx'ers need. FWIW - I'm right at or over payload as well and with the WDH and airbags - she still rides and tows beautifully. I will however be more routine about checking wheel bearings... Good luck.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I know you don't like it but your best option is a toy hauler, either that or a 3/4 ton truck. Keep the weight out of the truck. You can still put the gas in your bed so you don't smell it in the trailer. :) WDH and airbags do not change your payload capacity, nothing can do that. The WDH will transfer some of the weight back onto the trailer though so you won't have the full 800 lbs or whatever of tongue weight on the truck. Also, if you get a trailer with an outdoor shower, you could use that to wash off the dirt bikes before putting them in the toy hauler. Just a thought!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
the WDH will distribute some of the bike weight to the trailer. I am close to my limit with 1 bike in the back and 2 adults (250 lbs to go on my last scale) My Bike weighs in about 225 lbs.

I feel you about the truck, not much longer to go, and I love it, I don't want to go up to 3/4T

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
thanks guys, unfortunately, the only toy hauler I can afford new is the the outback 230rs which will be a little tight for the whole family!

2013 Outback 210RS (210 RS), Travel Trailer by Keystone RV | For Sale at Pete's RV

I really don't want to start looking at new trucks since I love my tundra and it's almost paid for...don't want to start another loan along with the rv loan.
They also make several campers (mostly pop ups) with front decks for your toys.my 2010 Coleman e3 had one and you could get two quads on that deck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
No problem

I'm sure I'm over the limits but the truck handles it just fine. Getting the WDH hight set just right makes all the difference in handling. Two 450s, big generator, tool box and fuel in the bed. Not sure how much the camper weighs (it's a rental but I use it all the time), i think it's around 6700 lbs empty. I'm going to install some airbags soon to make up for the sag. These trucks are beasts for half tons.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I would like to get a trailer for the camping makes it easier... But that's why I got my long bed to avoid the trailer... I'm thinking of just renting one for the long trips...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts