Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a while since I have used the 4WD system in a toyota and I wanted to get a couple things cleared up before i Purchase a new Tundra.

In the past i Drove a 2000 4Runner, i could switch the 4wd on at anytime under i believe 30MPH and it was a true 4WD system. The only time I got stuck in that was when I was in 3.5 ft of snow and the tires were off the ground.

Does the Tundra work the same way? Can you switch the 4WD on while driving under a certain speed? Is it true 4WD or do the front tires engage when needed?

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
it has 2wd, 4hi, and 4lo. You can go 2wd > 4hi while under 60. To go 4hi > 4lo you need to be stopped and in neutral.

Do you mean a true 4WD as is All Wheel Drive? If that's the question then yes and no. It is not "AWD." You can choose 4x2 or 4x4 so it's not perpetually in 4hi if you don't want it to be.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yes. Below 60 or 62mph (depending upon where you look) you can go into 4Hi. That said, it does not have a center diff; it is always "locked" and 4HI should not be used on bare or even wet pavement, only on the slippery stuff. I think you have to be moving for it to go into 4HI, though--or at least rolling a bit.

Not in your question, but related: to go into 4Lo requires you to be stopped, and after it is placed into 4HI first.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Yes. Below 60 or 62mph (depending upon where you look) you can go into 4Hi. That said, it does not have a center diff; it is always "locked" and 4HI should not be used on bare or even wet pavement, only on the slippery stuff. I think you have to be moving for it to go into 4HI, though--or at least rolling a bit.

Not in your question, but related: to go into 4Lo requires you to be stopped, and after it is placed into 4HI first.
I am not entirely convinced of the don't drive on dry pavement part anymore. The Tundra does not have a locker like the old trucks. The owner's manual states to drive it in 4WD for 10 miles every month to keep components lubricated. I do not know too many people who can accomplish that maintenance item without driving on dry pavement.

I had two mechanics tell me it is okay. A couple of more stated don't use
4WD on dry pavement. I usually drive short distances in 4WD on dry pavement every month, but I make sure the road is straight. I do not think anyone at the dealerships really know how this systems works anyway. I have a cheap sheet in the truck and still can't figure it out.

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not sure the dry pavement is a huge issue either... In a 2000 4Runner i would drive on wet pavement often if the rain was bad enough... sometimes in 2wd the runner would hydroplane a little

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I am not entirely convinced of the don't drive on dry pavement part anymore. The Tundra does not have a locker like the old trucks. The owner's manual states to drive it in 4WD for 10 miles every month to keep components lubricated. I do not know too many people who can accomplish that maintenance item without driving on dry pavement.

I had two mechanics tell me it is okay. A couple of more stated don't use
4WD on dry pavement. I usually drive short distances in 4WD on dry pavement every month, but I make sure the road is straight. I do not think anyone at the dealerships really know how this systems works anyway. I have a cheap sheet in the truck and still can't figure it out.
I do the same. Just strait road and if possible, in the rain, not that that matters I guess. Following the manual.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If it's straight, then there's no binding, and thus no issue. It's the turning that is the problem. Take your truck, put it into 4HI and try doing some lock-to-lock turns on dirt. You'll feel the binding, in that it will take more gas to make it move. At least I've noticed it the couple of times I've done it.

I'm a bit surprised that Toyota doesn't have a warning about this someplace. Maybe I'm overstating the fear; maybe where this is a truck with heavy duty gears and (typically) tires that have a lot of "give" (relative to say a drag racing slick) it's non-issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts