Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I also hope I'm not posting something that has already been discussed.

I purchased my 2011 Tundra about a month ago. Since then, I have noticed two problems.

PROBLEM 1
When I was traveling about 55+ miles per hour a few weeks ago, I notice, peripherally, lights "shaking" to the left and right of my main lights in front of me. It didn't take me long to realize that my fog lights were causing this. I stopped at a service station and checked the fog lights physically. They were loose.

I took my Tundra to my local dealership to have them check it out. They had never had anyone complain about this before. They told me they checked several Tundras on the lot and noticed they all were loose. They told me that they tightened the fog lights up. Two days later, I took a long trip at night and noticed the lights shaking again. It only seems to happen when I'm going fast enough for the wind to move them. I don't notice it happening when I hit a bump.

I took the truck back in a second time. The service manager was clueless as to how to fix this. He recommended putting a piece of foam under the light to see if this helps. The service manager, once again, "jokingly", said that nobody has ever complained about this before. They did nothing at this time.

After a few days, I was on the road again. Of course the problem was still there, but it aggravated me that this was happening. This sounds petty, I know, but it's annoying now that I know it's there. I took the truck back in a third time. This time, they are ordering new fog lights for the truck. I'm almost certain this will not fix the problem. Any suggestions? Has anybody else noticed this on their tundra?? Am I going to have to just "deal" with this problem??

PROBLEM 2.
From day one of my major purchase, every time I back up, my brakes squeal...really loud! It only happens when I back up. The first time I took it in, they sprayed "something" on the back rotors. This fixed the problem for a few days, but then the squeal was back...this time with a vengeance! It was even louder than before. When I say squeal, I mean almost ear piercing. I took it back last week (along with the fog light issue). They said they are ordering me two new back rotors. They were not sure what was causing the problem, but said it shouldn't be doing that. LOL Duh??

I'm sorry for the long "issues", but I'm hoping for some positive feedback for the two issues I'm having.

Thanks for taking time to read this.

·
Registered
107 Posts
my fogs shake at certain speeds as well.

·
Registered
453 Posts
i noticed the same thing on my 2010 when I got it. My buddies both have Tundras and they're loose too. Toyota coulda engineered them a bit better. I hate the fact that my fog lamps shake. Search the threads for a fix. I've seen one posted here before.

I'm gonna look at mine this weekend while I'm swapping out my factory fogs for the HID's I've got:cool:

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Weird. Never heard of this nor have I had this problem.

Is it the housing or the bulb?

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
The housings are crap on those factory bumpers, when I took mine apart to sell th ebumper and fogs separate, I noticed the mounting of them, it is a thin plastic strip that looks like it would break if you bent it.

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
there is a fix for this. I forget what post it is in though... :banghead: if i remember i will post back.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I dont notice these issues on my 2011.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A friend who bought a 2010 Tundra have this problem as well. Strange though, it seems a loose housing.

EDIT:

Thanks for this post.

Yeah, I've been looking for it too!! It was replacing the plastic clip with a screw I think. Seems like it was posted around the first of November??
Found it over on TS!!
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1580265-post3/ for Fog Lights

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Had an 07 and now a 2010 tundra and never have I noticed at night my fog lamps shaking never noticing the light shaking while driving. I'd cry foul and have them file a complaint with the regional service mgr. because it seems this is an issue with more than just 1-2 tundras. Now if Yota could build an inner tailgate replaceable piece that will not dent when stepped on or even just pushed on by the palm of your hand (no joking, it is crap). The tailgate inner piece that is bolted on is so thin it is a joke to call it a truck, but that is yet another topic discussed many times before.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I've been looking for it too!! It was replacing the plastic clip with a screw I think. Seems like it was posted around the first of November??:confused:
Found it over on TS!!
Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum - View Single Post - Question Fog Lamp Vibration
Thank you to all who have replied back to my post! You have been very helpful! Problem 2 will hopefully be taken care of when they get the new back rotors in. It bugs me to know that, as minor as they may seem, I have "anything" wrong with a brand new truck. Worrying about scratches is one thing, but factory defects is another! :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello. I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I also hope I'm not posting something that has already been discussed.

I purchased my 2011 Tundra about a month ago. Since then, I have noticed two problems.

PROBLEM 1
When I was traveling about 55+ miles per hour a few weeks ago, I notice, peripherally, lights "shaking" to the left and right of my main lights in front of me. It didn't take me long to realize that my fog lights were causing this. I stopped at a service station and checked the fog lights physically. They were loose.

I took my Tundra to my local dealership to have them check it out. They had never had anyone complain about this before. They told me they checked several Tundras on the lot and noticed they all were loose. They told me that they tightened the fog lights up. Two days later, I took a long trip at night and noticed the lights shaking again. It only seems to happen when I'm going fast enough for the wind to move them. I don't notice it happening when I hit a bump.

I took the truck back in a second time. The service manager was clueless as to how to fix this. He recommended putting a piece of foam under the light to see if this helps. The service manager, once again, "jokingly", said that nobody has ever complained about this before. They did nothing at this time.

After a few days, I was on the road again. Of course the problem was still there, but it aggravated me that this was happening. This sounds petty, I know, but it's annoying now that I know it's there. I took the truck back in a third time. This time, they are ordering new fog lights for the truck. I'm almost certain this will not fix the problem. Any suggestions? Has anybody else noticed this on their tundra?? Am I going to have to just "deal" with this problem??

PROBLEM 2.
From day one of my major purchase, every time I back up, my brakes squeal...really loud! It only happens when I back up. The first time I took it in, they sprayed "something" on the back rotors. This fixed the problem for a few days, but then the squeal was back...this time with a vengeance! It was even louder than before. When I say squeal, I mean almost ear piercing. I took it back last week (along with the fog light issue). They said they are ordering me two new back rotors. They were not sure what was causing the problem, but said it shouldn't be doing that. LOL Duh??

I'm sorry for the long "issues", but I'm hoping for some positive feedback for the two issues I'm having.

Thanks for taking time to read this.
UPDATE:
PROBLEM 1:
I printed out the instructions from the link mendonsy posted and took them in with me to Toyota. They fixed the problem using this method. Link is here. Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum - View Single Post - Question Fog Lamp Vibration

PROBLEM 2:
I haven't tested backing up yet, but they did change out the back rotors.

ALARM ACTIVATED:
This wasn't mentioned in this post, but I thought I would add what else was done while my truck was in the shop. I had them activate the alarm on my truck. The forum I found this info on is here. http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-audio-visual-discussion/50644-oem-alarm-dealer-has-activate-24.html#post510082

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
If they still vibrate after replacing the clip with a screw make sure that the adjuster nut clip is fully engaged in the housing.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
My fog lights vibrate too on my 2012. Dealer said that it is caused by the way they are mounted. Apparently, Toyota changed the mounting bracket and this is the best they could come up with. He said he didnt know how to fix it, but many people are starting to complain about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts