Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a Father I don't care to say "no" to, but despite my lack of desire to own his 2001 Tundra, I reluctantly accepted it last year, since he would have rather given it to me for a small price than trade it in to the dealer for a few more bucks, and I'm great up, but since I have owned it, it has spent more time in the shop than any other Japanese vehicle I've owned. Did the frame and a whole bunch more, and now I'm dealing with the power steering rack, that my mechanics have either installed improperly or the bushings are defective. The rack slides within its bushings making the steering very squirrelly. Any help as to what might be going on would be appreciated.

· Registered
1,256 Posts
Nothing wrong with your truck, aside from normal repair/replace items at this stage. It is 12+ years old.

Not sure how much maintenance you have put into it and also how many miles on this truck?

It sounds like a bushing problem from here. Have it checked out, as it was recently replaced (??) if I read your post correctly.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The truck has 140k on it, and like I said my father owned the truck before me. I suppose I've been spoiled and haven't had to do so much work with the a non-american vehicle. So the bushings are new, I suppose they're defective?

· Registered
61 Posts
perhaps the bolts for the rack are loose. its doesnt take much to get that rack to squirm around.

· Premium Member
690 Posts
^^^^This, if you had a reputable co do the work, make them fix the problem and don't let them tell you nothing is wrong with it. I replaced my rack bushings with poly at about 100k on my 2000 tundra and it helped greatly with the steering.

Lay on the ground with the truck running where you can see the rack, have someone turn the wheels back & forth, if it moves more than 1/8" to 3/16 back & forth then there's a problem. The poly bushing took out all the play in mine.

2000 - 2006 Bushings

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is back at the shop, and they're trying to make it right. After all the bushings came with the rebuilt rack, so i would assume those bushings are new, however they ordered the poly bushings today, so I'm hopeful. I took the truck down to Toyota about a week after the installation, and i asked them to look it over, and they didn't see any problems.

· Registered
7,532 Posts
^^^^This, if you had a reputable co do the work, make them fix the problem and don't let them tell you nothing is wrong with it. I replaced my rack bushings with poly at about 100k on my 2000 tundra and it helped greatly with the steering.

Lay on the ground with the truck running where you can see the rack, have someone turn the wheels back & forth, if it moves more than 1/8" to 3/16 back & forth then there's a problem. The poly bushing took out all the play in mine.

2000 - 2006 Bushings
X2 on the poly bushings. Mine went out with like 30K. They are really gushy rubber designed to absorb vibes, not give your truck control. They are a bit of a PITA to install (I actually used a torch to burn one of the old ones out) but well worth the trouble. The truck will steer much nicer as long as the alignment is correct.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.