Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I hit a deer 65mph.still runs , but messed the front up good ..
270k miles.. never had one issue with this truck..bought it brand new in 2010馃ぎ
Insurance claiming it as a total loss.

I still have the tundra in mind. But I'm starting to look at bigger trucks and was curious if anyone had experience with the f250's and dodge 2500's (diesel and gas).
I know these are completely different trucks but my tundra was super reliable and maintenance was inexpensive and not frequent. How do these other trucks compare.. I've heard alot of maintenance expenses going into the diesel f250's, but what about Dodge's 2500, and both trucks gasser models and their dependability-are they anything like the tundra

Registered
First of all sorry for your loss. Sad to see another Tundra leave the road. If you've already owned a Tundra, not sure why you would look at anything else ;) There's no way either of the two trucks you mentioned will last as long as the Tundra. Not without significant maintenance/repairs. Especially the Dodge. Two things you mentioned in your post--> "never had one issue with this truck" and "my tundra was super reliable and maintenance was inexpensive and not frequent." Just something to mull over ;)
PS: Hope you kept the deer! Mmmm.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all sorry for your loss. Sad to see another Tundra leave the road. If you've already owned a Tundra, not sure why you would look at anything else ;) There's no way either of the two trucks you mentioned will last as long as the Tundra. Not without significant maintenance/repairs. Especially the Dodge. Two things you mentioned in your post--> "never had one issue with this truck" and "my tundra was super reliable and maintenance was inexpensive and not frequent." Just something to mull over ;)
PS: Hope you kept the deer! Mmmm.
Thanks! I will be getting a tractor to haul around at some point and I have a travel trailer thats right at 10k lbs.. I've always wondered if any bigger trucks had that kind of reliability.. Thanks for the advice!

Registered
Depends... Do you NEED a 3/4 ton truck?

If yes, then I would start reading a few Ford forums, and still avoid the Ram. Rams seem to be plagued with electrical issues. We run Fords at work, and they have had a fair share of issues, but not as major as the Rams my customers complain about.
I could dive into the issues, but it may become a TLDR post.

Reactions: Thom114

Registered
I have never had good luck with Dodge products. Just a lot of expensive repairs. I did drive Ford F-150's for several years and they were very good. The difference I noticed with my Tundra vs Ford was that the Tundra still looked new at 150K but the Ford's were starting to show their age (seat wear, paint chips, engine noise, rattles, etc). My current Tundra is at 140K and it looks and runs like the day I bought it.

Also, if you tow, the Tundra is the best tow pickup there is. The anti-sway rear suspension if awesome. I went from towing a 32 ft travel trailer with a 3/4 ton Chevy crew cab, to a couple Ford F-150's, then to the Tundra's. When my second Tundra was destroyed in a Tornado, I got a red hot deal on a new F-150 so I went back to Ford. When I had to tow my 32 ft Travel Trailer with the Ford, I was all over the road. I got so use to towing with the Tundra, the F-150 just did not stack up, so I had the F-150 a year and traded it off for another Tundra and never went back.

10K is well within what a Tundra can tow so I would recommend you stay with your Yota.

If you do go with a 3/4 ton something, you are really going to miss the ride of the Tundra. Those 3/4 ton trucks ride rough rough rough rough rough.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THanks.
I have never had good luck with Dodge products. Just a lot of expensive repairs. I did drive Ford F-150's for several years and they were very good. The difference I noticed with my Tundra vs Ford was that the Tundra still looked new at 150K but the Ford's were starting to show their age (seat wear, paint chips, engine noise, rattles, etc). My current Tundra is at 140K and it looks and runs like the day I bought it.

Also, if you tow, the Tundra is the best tow pickup there is. The anti-sway rear suspension if awesome. I went from towing a 32 ft travel trailer with a 3/4 ton Chevy crew cab, to a couple Ford F-150's, then to the Tundra's. When my second Tundra was destroyed in a Tornado, I got a red hot deal on a new F-150 so I went back to Ford. When I had to tow my 32 ft Travel Trailer with the Ford, I was all over the road. I got so use to towing with the Tundra, the F-150 just did not stack up, so I had the F-150 a year and traded it off for another Tundra and never went back.

10K is well within what a Tundra can tow so I would recommend you stay with your Yota.

If you do go with a 3/4 ton something, you are really going to miss the ride of the Tundra. Those 3/4 ton trucks ride rough rough rough rough rough.
Thanks! Yeah I probably will buy another tundra, but its always nice to wonder, and see if there's somthing else out there , and to hear from others

Registered
Both Diesels mentioned are good , BUT dont expect Toyota like no probls and no dealership trips . Modern EPA diesels are problmatic and just not the same as old ones.
Cost per mile of a diesel is WAAAY more than your Tundra ever was .

I came from the diesel world , to my Tundra . Kept one 12valve all mechanical diesel to play with.

good luck sir

1 - 7 of 7 Posts