Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up a Lance 825 truck camper in a couple of weeks and need to get my truck ready. It's about 1750 lb dry. Yes, I know I'm over the payload capacity before water, gear, etc...

I'm planning to put air bags in, but not sure if I need to switch to E rated tires. With the TRD stock BFG's is it just a matter of handling and roll or a blowout risk?

Air bags are an easy add-on, but I hate to replace good tires and spend an extra grand if the stock tires will suffice.

Any other Lance 825 Tundra rigs out there? Love to hear your experience!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I know there are a few truck camper guys floating around here.

As far as tires are concerned, D or E rated tires are a must...increased payload results in more friction and higher temps from driving = blowout at highway speeds.

Check the Buy/Sell section out on here. You may find a great deal on some slightly used tires.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
The air bags will only get the load off of your wheels, your capacity is based on the axle on the truck as well as the design of the frame so what you are risking is catastrophic failure of the axle and/or suspension.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That didn't take long. There are plenty of guys running the Lance 825 with their Tundras and no issues. I seriously doubt the axle will snap, but I guess I'll take my chances.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I would be less concerned about damaging the truck than I would be about getting into an accident and being sued. It will be easy to prove that you were way over loaded and you could loose everything you own in a law suit. I don't understand how Lance can promote the use of this truck camper in a Tundra (I looked at their website and they specifially promote this camper for Tundra/Titan/F150). There is a reason you mostly see truck campers installed on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Reactions: 2010

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
That didn't take long. There are plenty of guys running the Lance 825 with their Tundras and no issues. I seriously doubt the axle will snap, but I guess I'll take my chances.
Don't worry, your axle won't snap in half but don't blame Toyota when you start having constant issues with your truck down the road, you don't have issues TODAY when you exceed payload limits, you have them LATER. Trust me, if your Tundra was capable of hauling around a ton in the back without causing issues then Toyota would advertise the payload capacity at a ton since that would obviously be a huge selling point; but they don't because they understand liability and the engineers who designed the Tundra understand the failure points in the truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How did you tundra handle this camper? i have a 2015 tundra crewmax with 5.5' short bed and want to put a 2015 adventurer 80rb on it. thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts