Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of threads on this, so I will weigh in with my real world experience and a couple of outstanding questions.

I am loaded up with a Lance 825 truck camper. It's about 2000 when loaded up with water and some light gear. Without air bags the camper along brings the back end right down to its' knees. I didn't drive far, but it sort of wallows down the road and is a very uncomfortable ride. I never felt particularly sure footed, but for a quick short trip it didn't seem unsafe.

Next step... installed Firestone air bags aired them up to 65 psi. It was an absolute WORLD of difference. Very comfortable ride and more sure-footed, but the stock BFG tires still left me feeling a little uneasy (especially if I quickly needed to steer around something).

Next step (planned for installation tonight) is Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo E rated tires. For those of you that have gone down this path, what kind of air pressure would you run with in your E rated tires and a 5500 lb load with 2000 lb over the axle?

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
The E-rated tires will need a lot more pressure than the P rated Bridgestones did. Empty, I run 50 in the front and 45 in the rear. Though, I have a steel bumper and winch on the front of my truck. You will want more in the rear with a load and a trailer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the tires installed tonight and loaded up the camper for a trip tomorrow. Wow, what a huge difference. From the stock TRD setup to airbags+E rated tires feels like the difference between hauling two tons of concrete in the trunk of a Ford Taurus vs. bed of a one ton dually. Huge difference and the whole rig feels great on the road.

Also, a lot of stories about the E rated tires being very rough. I was running at 65 PSI tonight with 70 in the air bags and no weight in the bed. The ride honestly wasn't that much worse than stock suspension and tires.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Next step (planned for installation tonight) is Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo E rated tires. For those of you that have gone down this path, what kind of air pressure would you run with in your E rated tires and a 5500 lb load with 2000 lb over the axle?
What size did you put on? Looking at getting e-rated tires too...

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I used to have an Arctic Fox on a Dodge 3500 dually.

The Fox weighed in at 5,000 lb wet.

I had Rancho 9000's on it and Firestone RideRites at 100psi and the truck still wobbled in the wind or road imperfections.

The solution was the cheapest thing I did to that truck. After market long reach bump stops so the leaf packs can actually have some balance.

It's something you might want to look into.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
I won't get on my soapbox about weight limits...you should be airing your tires up so that the sidewall heights are the same under load that they were when unloaded...obviously to do this correctly you would need to remove your camper so maybe that is not an option for you, however, that is the only correct way of getting proper PSI in your tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts