Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2013 Platinum and I'm having a hard time shifting from Drive to Sport mode. Is it supposed to be a smooth transition? I find myself having to knock the shifter over to go in position. Once I'm in sport mode everything shifts fine and seems normal.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
WARNING:
Longish-post: Anyone offended by same, please skip reading, and feel no need to tell me it's not short enough for you--I know how long it is, because I wrote it. :D

Just bought a 2013 Platinum and I'm having a hard time shifting from Drive to Sport mode. Is it supposed to be a smooth transition? I find myself having to knock the shifter over to go in position. Once I'm in sport mode everything shifts fine and seems normal.
Holyghost69:
Caveat:
I realize that you're not having a problem getting out of "Park," like the two examples I've had, below, but I suspect the cause might be the same.

I assume your Platinum is a floor console (while my Tundra SR has a column-mounted shifter), but since there are cables and/or linkages involved in both configurations, perhaps my theory on a related shifter-problem may apply.

In my 2014 Tundra, it is a smooth transition to from "D" to "S," but I only tried it once, during one of my test drives (I want to read the manual before screwing with it further.)

However, in my short time of ownership (still on original tank of gas--LOL) I've noticed that, sometimes, I have to press on the brake pedal harder than I normally would in other vehicles, to get the lever to release smoothly from Park. I never tried to force it, I just released tension on it, released the brake pedal, pressed pedal down a bit harder than I would have expected to, and then it shifts smoothly to Drive.

Also, I'm "religious" about setting the Parking Brake when I park, before shifting into "Park," so as to keep ANY stress/vehicular weight OFF of the parking pawl (or "dog," as it is sometimes referred to).

I rattle on about this as I suspect there may be a cable, somewhere, that operates the interlock between the brake pedal and the (column-mounted) shifter. Even though there's less than 42,000 miles on this new (to me) truck, I suspect whatever cable or linkage is involved may be mis-adjusted.

Therefore, I'm wondering if your issue could be being caused by a similar problem to mine (which again, is only speculation, on my part).

But I do know that the floor shifter in our 2002 Highlander used to fail to come out of "Park," sometimes, which is why there is a 1/2"-square plug next to the shifter-shaft, that you can pop out, then press down on a white button, to get the shifter to come out of park. I've been told this is due to "...a stretched shift cable..." and that vehicle did have 110,000 on it before that problem manifested.

And from general experience, I believe most car brands have a similar "Interlock Manual Override" feature, as cable-stretch is not limited to Toyotas--LOL.

Hope this helps, and please let us know, as I'd like to know if my theory re: my "Park" issue is correct.

Thanks,

ToyotosForever

Reactions: Elknturkey
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.