Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so I see a post in here like this but i drive a ram 1500 hemi I love the truck iv only changed shocks but im getting to 140k on it and I know lots about toyota longevity vs Ram

Which truck would be best in everyone's opinion. Here is what i need. It would be my work truck but also my daily driver. I tow wood for deck rebuilds so I need sturdy shocks. I don't want a diesel lol I do go off road but its not like a weekly thing. Im not going to lift it but will level it out but I don't know what is best to buy. Iv read some posts in here but im trying to know everyone's view. I don't want crappy audio but at the same time if the JBL sucks I don't want that either. I can by my own floor mats and do my own spray in liner front and rear bumbers but what I desire is remote start, touch screen, dash screen, heavy duty shocks, decent audio, 4x4 are the main points im looking at. Suggestions and advice please.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I bought my 2017 Limited double cab because I wanted a leather interior, and the dual climate control was a must for me and the wife. I had to immediately upgrade the tires though, as they were car tires (Dunlop Sport 5000’s).
if you can afford it, you should look into the TRD PRO platform. It has luxury and great off road capability.

·
Registered
818 Posts
TRD.

PS. Shocks do not carry load , at all . Springs do .
My only mod on my 2018 is , SumoSprings which i really like . They do not touch anything ( so you still have 98% OEM ride quality ) till you have a load , and when they do come into play SumoSprings are not harsh at all.
Good luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
I did the same mod on my 2017, those SumoSprings are awesome! No squat at all when I am towing my 26’ travel trailer, also cuts down on the bouncing on rough pavement. I swapped out the anemic rear shocks with Bilstein 5100’s and installed the TRD sway bar which helps as well....

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have had a couple Tundras with the stock black shocks they come with on the SR5, and I have had a couple trucks with the TRD package that have the yellow Bilstein Shocks. I have noticed that the Bilsteins are still good after 100K but the black stock shocks need replaced around 50-60K. The black shocks are a little smoother on the highway at first, but wear out fairly fast. The Yellow Bilsteins seem to be about the same at 100K as they were new, and not too much difference in ride between the new yellow vs new black)..

I have ridden in a TRD Pro that had the Red Bilstien shocks, and I honestly thought they rode too rough. They buck and jump on every crack in the road. They are better for rough roads at high speeds, but for low to medium speeds, you feel every bump a lot more.

For what you describe, I would look at the standard TRD package with the Yellow Bilstein shocks. They seem to be the best compromise between good control and a smooth ride.

I honestly feel like the Tundra does the best job of going from work, to normal use, to play. But the Tundra is also behind everyone else in technology. If you like power windows, power steering, AC, decent stereo, you will be fine with a Tundra. If you want a lot of the newer fancy technology and safety features, you might want to wait for the new generation of Tundras to come (2021 I think?). Toyota tends to make their new redesigns the latest and greatest everything, but then stay with that design for a long time. The current Tundra is a 2007 design with some refinements along the way,but it does not offer a lot of the features you will find in the big three.

But on the other hand, when you turn the key, it always runs, runs right, never stops running, and keeps looking good. I have had 4 Tundras, combined 450K miles, and only had 2 minor repairs required.

·
Registered
2020 TRD Pro
16 Posts
I have a '20 TRD Pro and the ride is excellent. If you plan on doing some off roading, you can take it out stock and feel confident in it's abilities. As far as the sound system, it's total CRAP. It is an embarrassment to both Toyota and JBL. I recently replaced mine because the sound was so poor, I couldn't take it anymore. You'll have no choice but to spend between $1500-3000 on a new system if you want quality sound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a '20 TRD Pro and the ride is excellent. If you plan on doing some off roading, you can take it out stock and feel confident in it's abilities. As far as the sound system, it's total CRAP. It is an embarrassment to both Toyota and JBL. I recently replaced mine because the sound was so poor, I couldn't take it anymore. You'll have no choice but to spend between $1500-3000 on a new system if you want quality sound.
Couldnt agree with this more.... JBL and Toyota definitely missed the mark on this one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Back in 2014, I first looked at the SR5's, but there were just too many option I would have to add. The Limited had everything I needed...Didn't think I would like the heated seats....boy do I love my ass warmers in the winter. The only options I got were: non-chrome running boards, tow mirrors, bed liner. After now having owned it for 6+ years, there was a front park assist sensor that would have been nice. Otherwise, I would order the same truck...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts