Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, going to get a CAI and was wondering if there were any real differences (besides price) between the two? I'm pretty excited about the additional "throatiness" of the engine and I know I'll get some added sound with the AFE but was wondering if you will still get that sound with the TRD. Performance measurements are near identical so I don't see that as a determining factor in my purchase.

Thanks.

·
"A Man Needs A Maid"
1,277 Posts
I picked up my TRD CAI used on this forum. I like it, sounds neat, not much performance wise if anything. They are pricy, wait for one of these guys to get a S/C and they will post it for sale.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've got the aFe on my 5.7. I've got an install thread on it if you like.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-performance-modifications/122337-just-finished-installing-afe-intake.html

If you take your time with the install it'll go fine. Best I can say is inspect all the screw holes for debris prior to install and blow them out with a can of air or air hose if necessary. Also, for bolting down the box, a flexible screwdriver attachment or someone with small hands will come in handy due to the angles of the sides of the airbox.

Of all the enclosed CAIs it's got the potential to flow the most air because it isn't restricted by the fender hole - it's got a forward hole in the box as well. Some folks will say this impacts the temperature of the air going into the box and thus the engine but realistically there isn't time for heatsoak as the absorption of heat from the box/pipe to the air is much slower than the time the air will be in the box at speed.

There is a definite and significant difference in the sound of the engine after install (video in my thread above from inside the truck). Performance wise I can't say that there's a quantifiable difference (it does seem easier to light up the tires though), but combined with the exhaust which I installed a week later I have seen an increase in mileage, though I'm still on my first tank post-install so I don't want to speak to numbers specifically. Expect .5 - 1 MPG probably (I have not taken a long highway drive since installing both - only city driving).

·
Registered
442 Posts
You need to get your priorities straight and drop that thesis so you can get the CAI installed :lol5: What's your page count up to?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'm torn between the TRD, AFE, and Volant CAIs

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'm torn between the TRD, AFE, and Volant CAIs
I considered these three when I was shopping for mine. I went with TRD. I have come across posts complaining about the quality of AFE and Volant, but I didn't come across any complaining about the quality of the TRD intake. (Might have changed somewhat since then, but I still occasionally come across posts complaining posts regarding AFE and Volant).

By the way, I didn't get the exhaust and intake for the mpg, but I did have some improvement in that department (an added bonus). :cool:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I considered these three when I was shopping for mine. I went with TRD. I have come across posts complaining about the quality of AFE and Volant, but I didn't come across any complaining about the quality of the TRD intake. (Might have changed somewhat since then, but I still occasionally come across posts complaining posts regarding AFE and Volant).

By the way, I didn't get the exhaust and intake for the mpg, but I did have some improvement in that department (an added bonus). :cool:

How does your TRD intake sound? I have heard different stories on it. Does your have the whistling sound to it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I Have the AFE pro 2 installed and I can only speak for it as I have never had the TRD on my truck but I might get one in the future if my freind trades in his truck then I can give you a real comparison. The AFE has a great sound to it and it pulls harder . My 20" tires are fighting for traction now and it just gets up in the high rpm range faster. So far I am happy with my purchase. Installation was easy and took maybe 25 min or so.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
How does your TRD intake sound? I have heard different stories on it. Does your have the whistling sound to it?
There is no whistling sounds from the intake. I installed the TRD exhaust first, then after a few weeks, then I installed the intake. The intake did not really change the sound, only its intensity, as far as I could tell. Perhaps the difference in sound would be greater if I installed the intake without the exhaust.

Perhaps those who installed the intake first could tell you what that's like.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
What is the maintenance involved on an aftermarket CAI, or the TRD for that matter? My service warranty (2 year maintenance) covers the replacement of the air filter but if I switch that to a TRD or a AFE CAI, what is the cost and frequency of having to switch these out myself?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts