Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I just rolled 100K miles on my TRD charger and somehow I made it this far without the coupler sounding like a dryer full of rocks. I am trying to source the correct replacement coupler, along with oil and appropriate seals but that has deemed itself more difficult than it should be.

After reading the Jon Bond horror stories, I am not going anywhere near that store. I have been in contact with Superchargers Online (the official Eaton & Magnusson retailer) but have received conflicting information from their customer service.

Here is the list of couplers they recommended thus far (with a considerable difference in price I may add)

I guess my real question is are the original TRD couplers and current Magnusson couplers interchangeable? I plan to yank the entire blower so I can change the oil as well. I figure after 100K miles it probably would not hurt.

Thanks for any insight!

- Joe

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Jon Bond is still selling the old style coupler that has led to so many issues. I'm yanking the nose assembly and sending it off to Superchargers Online for a bearing and coupler replacement. Eaton redesigned the coupler, which they sell, but it significantly more expensive than the old style.

I plan to snap pics and do a little write up of the process.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
How did everything work out? I just turned 100,000 as well and my coupler is polishing rocks. Which coupler did you end up using and how fast was the turnaround with Superchargers Online?
The entire thing went pretty smooth. I do have a garage to keep the truck overnight and the Toyota bracket to help with ease of removal and install.

I allowed Superchargers Online to complete the nose drive overhaul with the new coupler. They replaced all bearings, hardware, etc. The price wasn't too bad and turn around was pretty quick, even with shipping it across the US. I sent them my injectors as well and had them cleaned and flow tested. While the charger was off, I changed the gear oil. I do not recommend attempting to change the oil without removing the plate per Toyota's instructions. The tightness of the gears would make it impossible to get any decent amount of oil out.

The hardest part I ran into was separating the gear cover without separating the rotor housing. A mallet and heat gun worked well.

Let me know if you want copies of all the instructions I used. I pieced together some OEM Toyota stuff with the Magnusson procedures.

Edit- I also replaced the manifold gaskets with a set supplied by Superchargers Online. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need to get a lifting bracket for my s/c. How much was that ?
They are becoming harder and harder to track down. I believe I paid $40ish on eBay, but it looks like it was a one time in-stock item. The dealership may be able to find them in stock.

It's the TRD hoist bracket part # PTR25-34070

·
Registered
255 Posts
The entire thing went pretty smooth. I do have a garage to keep the truck overnight and the Toyota bracket to help with ease of removal and install.

I allowed Superchargers Online to complete the nose drive overhaul with the new coupler. They replaced all bearings, hardware, etc. The price wasn't too bad and turn around was pretty quick, even with shipping it across the US. I sent them my injectors as well and had them cleaned and flow tested. While the charger was off, I changed the gear oil. I do not recommend attempting to change the oil without removing the plate per Toyota's instructions. The tightness of the gears would make it impossible to get any decent amount of oil out.

The hardest part I ran into was separating the gear cover without separating the rotor housing. A mallet and heat gun worked well.

Let me know if you want copies of all the instructions I used. I pieced together some OEM Toyota stuff with the Magnusson procedures.

Edit- I also replaced the manifold gaskets with a set supplied by Superchargers Online. Cheap insurance.
A neighbor friend recently acquired this Tundra and closing to 100k miles so we may do the supercharger maintenance soon. Got to finish installing the suspension and toyo tires on the Wrangler this week before we can take her in. We're gonna contact Jon Bond.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A neighbor friend recently acquired this Tundra and closing to 100k miles so we may do the supercharger maintenance soon. Got to finish installing the suspension and toyo tires on the Wrangler this week before we can take her in. We're gonna contact Jon Bond.
I steered clear of Jon Bond, due to several threads of poor experiences. The fact that superchargers online is the only Eaton-authorized supplier and repair center for the supercharger helped make my decision. I was not willing to roll the dice on substandard parts or service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts