Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2013 CM and the previous owner put a TRD shift knob on. When I shifted it into gear today, the shift knob was loose and slid upwards. However it will not come off...

I tried to screw it back on, but it seems a bit stripped so it will not tighten completely down.

When you try to pull it off, something is hanging up at the very base/top of the stick that will not let it come off...

Has anyone seen this before or had it happen?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got it off.

Since the inside threading of the shift knob is plastic, it stripped away some of it from the knob leaving it attached to the stick causing it to obstruct the clearance in order to pull it off. I just had to slowly unscrew it from the very bottom and it came right off.

I put it back on with some Loctite this time and hopefully it holds. If not, I'll but a new one I guess.

A loose shift knob will drive me nuts...

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
which trd knob

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I got it off.

Since the inside threading of the shift knob is plastic, it stripped away some of it from the knob leaving it attached to the stick causing it to obstruct the clearance in order to pull it off. I just had to slowly unscrew it from the very bottom and it came right off.

I put it back on with some Loctite this time and hopefully it holds. If not, I'll but a new one I guess.

Uuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Loctite brand threadlocker doesn't really jive with plastic. Just sayin'.......

Reactions: Hi there

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got it off.

Uuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Loctite brand threadlocker doesn't really jive with plastic. Just sayin'.......

Technically it was Permatex...still no good?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Permatex did not work...new shift knob is on the way...damn it...
Looks like you answered it for youself. Loctite will eat/melt plastic. Permatex looks like it performs the same way.

Wish I had caught you earlier and could have told you to try something like model airplane glue or Gorilla glue. Dang it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Permatex did not work...new shift knob is on the way...damn it...
Looks like you answered it for youself. Loctite will eat/melt plastic. Permatex looks like it performs the same way.

Wish I had caught you earlier and could have told you to try something like model airplane glue or Gorilla glue. Dang it.
Eh...no big deal. I'd rather have one that is actually screwed on properly than have to glue one. But you were right...

isn't there a screw deep inside that holds the insert to the knob?
I don't think so. It just threads on. Toyota needs to make the threads on the inside of the knob metal, not plastic.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Same exact thing happened to mine. Even if you did glue the shift knob it still would not have worked bc its broken from inside the knob. I had to buy a new one as well.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
So is this a common problem for TRD shift knobs? Do they eventually get loose?

I'm about to order one. If they don't last then I won't bother with it
I don't think it is a common issue.
If you buy one make sure the screw is tight before you install it.

isn't there a screw deep inside that holds the insert to the knob?
Yes there is..

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/sparks-toyota/260049-dis-satisfied-trd-shifter-knob.html

Mine was a little loose and I tighten that screw and all is well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.