Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, Ive made the appointment to have my ECU re-flashed for my SC install now my question is can I limp it back home to do the SC install or will I need to tow it home? I'm sure it might throw a code or two but would those just be soft codes or a hard code that requires a scan tool to remove? I just wanted to have the re-flash done prior to the install so its good to go when the install is done. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Hey Guys, Ive made the appointment to have my ECU re-flashed for my SC install now my question is can I limp it back home to do the SC install or will I need to tow it home? I'm sure it might throw a code or two but would those just be soft codes or a hard code that requires a scan tool to remove? I just wanted to have the re-flash done prior to the install so its good to go when the install is done. Thanks for the input guys.
It sounds arse backward to me and i don't think they can or will reflash your ECU without the SC installed. The liability will be on their part if they decide to go that round. I would do the installation first then TOW the truck into the deal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There would be no reason why it couldn't be done prior to installation as re-flashing the ecu is independent of whats installed on the truck at that time, I'm aware that with the new programming its not going to run worth a damn if at all seeing as the injectors and mapping will be different. Ive decided to just tow it from the dealer to the location of the install and not risk it. It just makes more sense to me to flash it then tow and install rather than install the SC and then risk driving it to the dealer that way or towing it for that matter. Regardless of order of operations i will be paying for a tow, so 6 in one, half dozen in the other type of scenario. I just want to have it installed and be able to drive right after.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^that makes sense. I think it could create a liability issue for Toyota, if they install a SC Flash on a truck that doesn't have an SC. The manual clearly states that an SC Flash cannot be backed out, and the ECU cannot be returned to stock. So, if they put the SC flash in, and you don't install the SC because you changed your mind or something, how would the dealership explain that one?
I think the liability would be on me, Im paying they to complete a service, Its my fault should I not go through with the install. There are no negatives that I can see with this order of operations, I have the SC and will be installing it, so obviously I need the ecu flash. I can see how it may be somewhat unconventional but there is no reason it cant be done this way.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Toyota reccomends reflashing prior to install to make sure there is an available flash for your VIN. But that also assumes that the tech flashing will install. I would imagine driving with the S/C flash in and no charger is better than the other way around. It may run a bit rich

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought they just use the VIN to make sure there is a flash for your truck available, before they start installing the SC, but they don't actually flash it? Then they download the flash, and install it?

I dunno, just passing on what my SC installers told me, I really have no clue about the whole thing. On mine, I think they had the SC all buttoned up, but the delay was something about Toyota's somethin or rather system was down, and they couldn't download the flash for almost a full day. They finally got it downloaded, put it in my ECU, test drove it, and called me to come pick it up.
If I was installing it and had the ability to flash myself I too would do the full SC install and then flash, this way just seems best for my self install route. My appointment is for the 26th for the flash and the SC is supposed to be here on the 17th, those days in between are gonna kill me hahaha.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Have fun limbing :D. I don't know much about this stuff. I just think it makes more sense to have it install then TOW it to the dealer for reflash then drive home....

Since i don't know much about this stuff... Let's play "what if".

What if the reflash without SC cause complication to your motor while your limbing home?

What if something does go wrong and you decided to held the dealership accountable? Unless there is a written legal agreement.

Damn, we make $hit more complicated then it suppose to IMO.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL Fawkk did I type limb instead of limp somewhere haha. If we are playing what if... what if I flash it and tow it, install the kit and then do a glorious burnout in celebration after the last bolt it tightened because the ecu is already good to go hahaha.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
LOL Fawkk did I type limb instead of limp somewhere haha. If we are playing what if... what if I flash it and tow it, install the kit and then do a glorious burnout in celebration after the last bolt it tightened because the ecu is already good to go hahaha.
what if you flash it and tow it, install the kit and then do a glorious burnout then your cluster look like a damn christmas tree :lol5:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I am a Marine not a Mechanic therefore i don't know much about this stuff but one thing i know for sure that i will not play unsafe when it comes to $30K vehicle

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
From one Jarhead to another, Semper Fi!

From a service adviser to a customer, do not flash before install. The process is to check for flash capability before install but the flash is not to be performed without the SC installed for multiple reasons.

Example:

ECU flashed, something serious comes up and you can't install the SC. No working vehicle right away.

The fuel mapping for the flash is set for higher injectors and fuel pump, the ECU will think it has these components and by trying to act as such, could cause harm to the current setup. Why should that matter if it is getting replaced? It could harm other components that are not being replaced by running incorrectly.

Lots of "shoulda, woulda, coulda" but in the end, this is an investment addition because of the amount of money you are spending, my opinion is to do it right and flash afterwards.

The dealership IS liable for the flash if you ask for it or not and therefor will not perform it without the SC installed.

Anyway, congrats on the SC and I hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Brad, what is the average time to install the SC? My truck went in on Tuesday and today is Thursday and they are not done yet. They promised to get it done yesterday but since my truck is so tall they were asking for an extra day. The tech will leave at 5pm and now is 3pm still did not see any phone call from the service writer. I am starting to get pissed. I am on my way now to the dealer to see with kind of horse $hit game are they playing.

Semper Fi.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I tell all of our customer's it's a 3 day process. It's only 9 billable hours but I always suggest to leave it longer to take time to do it, plus test drive afterwards to ensure fluids and everything are good to go. We normally try to provide a vehicle as well so you are not SOL.

To be completely honest though, mine was done in a day, started at 0730 and done at 1930 (we close at 1800 but the tech and I stayed back for a little bit). I would not recommend this but this tech has done several and is very meticulious when he works so I completely trusted him and his work.

As far as how long it is taking though, it also depends on how many the dealership has done and what their experience level is with them. Three days, yes he should be done barring there were no complications they didn't mention to you...

Let me know if you have any more questions about it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From one Jarhead to another, Semper Fi!

From a service adviser to a customer, do not flash before install. The process is to check for flash capability before install but the flash is not to be performed without the SC installed for multiple reasons.

Example:

ECU flashed, something serious comes up and you can't install the SC. No working vehicle right away.

The fuel mapping for the flash is set for higher injectors and fuel pump, the ECU will think it has these components and by trying to act as such, could cause harm to the current setup. Why should that matter if it is getting replaced? It could harm other components that are not being replaced by running incorrectly.

Lots of "shoulda, woulda, coulda" but in the end, this is an investment addition because of the amount of money you are spending, my opinion is to do it right and flash afterwards.

The dealership IS liable for the flash if you ask for it or not and therefor will not perform it without the SC installed.

Anyway, congrats on the SC and I hope you enjoy it!
I understand what your saying, but they didnt seem to have any concerns when I booked the appointment, I told them exactly what I was doing. I just want it flashed and then disconnect the battery and I wont re-connect it until the install is finished.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I assume you are not worried about warranty or anything with the SC. Nothing against it, and please don't take it wrong, I just personally wouldn't do it either. The instructions state it in a certain order for a reason as well and that amount of money isn't a small amount to gamble with.

I understand what your saying, but they didnt seem to have any concerns when I booked the appointment, I told them exactly what I was doing. I just want it flashed and then disconnect the battery and I wont re-connect it until the install is finished.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Well they did run into complication. The airbox they expect it to mount just like any normal airbox. But my truck has body lift. Any how I went in and show them how I mount it at an angle and it works.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts