Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few weeks I've had the urge to "upgrade" my 2012 TRD Off-Road 4.6L to a Rock Warrior which comes with the 5.7L. My thought of an upgrade was to get the navigation system with Xm radio, back-up camera, tow mirrors and TRD dual exhaust. My OF has the 4.6L and 9.5" rear-end so I also would be getting a 5.7L with the 10.5" rear-end in case I decided to put bigger tires on.
Koons in Arlington, VA, has a Magnetic Gray DC RW that they have had for at least 5 weeks. Yesterday I decided to go check it out. I drove the RW from their undergroud lot back to the dealership along Lee hwy. I never got over 45 MPH. Man did that thing ride rough compared to my Off-Road. I figured out it was the e-rated (10-ply) tires. I couldn't get the Premium navigation system with Entune and for some reason the sales manager couldn't find the tow mirrors. Other that that the sales manager matched all of my numbers for trade-in and what I was willing to pay for the RW.
In the end I walked away. I decided the ride, storage boxes and electric rear window was worth more than the RW. Other than the wheels and color-matched bumpers the RW was basic. I already have a set of the RW wheels so I can put milder tires on whenever I'm ready. However I still want that 5.7L so I may have to shop around for a TRD Off-Road with the 5.7L.
That's my rant.

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
RW rides stiff?

Maybe it's just me but it rides like a truck. My ride is firm, even with the 5100's at the top setting. My bronco feels everything ing the road, while my RW just glides over it.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
You already have the most important/expensive item of the RW package, the wheels. The rough ride of e-rated tires is expected. Is your current Tundra a DC?

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
If you are going to go down the trade in road, I'd find a Limited loaded to the hilt. I say that only because of your comment on the ride. Sounds like you want a plush riding truck with all the amenities which is totally fine and my dumb opinion is the Limited will have what you want.

The RW wheels are cool and all, I just really wish they were 18s and sat wheel well flush from the factory. I really dig the RW, but it doesn't sound like the right truck for what you want. I have the TRD with 10ply E rated tires and it's a "firm" ride but it's what I like.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tundergas: I started looking at the Limited. I don't like having to pay for wheels I don't like but maybe I can sell them for what they cost. Then I can put my RW wheels on with some Michelin M&S2 tires..

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Tundergas: I started looking at the Limited. I don't like having to pay for wheels I don't like but maybe I can sell them for what they cost. Then I can put my RW wheels on with some Michelin M&S2 tires..
Oh I hear ya. I see the Limited wheels now and then for sale here on CL and they move pretty fast and I think for north of $500-800. I got the TRD package because it was the only 2012 CM 4x4 5.7 non FLEX left. The TRD wheels are in the garage already so I know where you are coming from. Let us know what you get! Platinum maybe?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts