Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little info on my millage and driving style. 25,000~ miles per year. Lots of highway, but i do sell heavy equipment and romp around landfills, quarries, sire prep and dirt roads for shooting/hunting.

I am going to be replacing my 2014 platinum with a 17 or 18 at the end of this year. I am either going to run with TRD Pro from the dealer or Kings aftermarket.

I like the fact that TRD comes from dealer ready day #1 . I just wonder how many miles they last since they don't appear to be serviceable.

Kings sound great, but how many people actually spend the time and money to service shocks?

Ive got my eyes on Method Grids with 295/70/18 Ridge Grapplers. No more chrome clown wheels ;)

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
210 Posts
What don't you dig about the Pro wheels?

I'm of the opinion the Pro wheels set it apart a bit. "Aftermarket" wheels are everywhere.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Honestly my friend, if you're just using it as a daily truck / light duty, might as well stick with the TRD pro suspension.

Is your truck a PRO? If so, I'd just leave it as it is, it will out perform just about anything you need it to do from what we're seeing, except maybe towing heavy equip, if you just sell and don't tow, then I wouldn't bother, and if you did, I wouldn't recommend Kings either, more like an overload pack / towing bags

A lot of people actually spend the time and money servicing their shocks, it's not that expensive to do. King shocks will be much more capable, but might be more then what you need.

If you want any pricing on some wheels, feel free to shoot me a message my friend!

Zach

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
What don't you dig about the Pro wheels?

I'm of the opinion the Pro wheels set it apart a bit. "Aftermarket" wheels are everywhere.
? "Pro" wheels are just standard TRD wheels painted black. There is nothing special about them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will be a platinum package tundra. I dont ever tow anything. More or less want to upgrade for a better ride and a little more clearance for better tires & leveling truck. I have zero desire to lift my truck.

TRD Pro suspension is my 1st pick. Whats a reasonable lifespan for these? 50k or 150k?

Maybe i am wrong, but i called a few shops in the DFW area and they all said it would be a week plus possibly to service King shocks when needed. That's hard to do when the truck is my DD for work.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There's a downfall to the down time to service shocks. But the lifespan of average shocks is not that great. So replace every x number of miles or service every x number of miles but have a truck you can jump! lol I want my truck to have a hang time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
The pros now are awesome already IMHO and the internal bypass provides a better ride on the road while still being capable off road- you will read many many reviews on here from people that "hate" how their Kings/Fox ride on the road. As far as service life is concerned- I haven't followed the message boards in a while but I can't say I have seen anyone saying they blew a TRD Pro suspension, so so far I would say they are lasting better than most of the fox/king crowd on here allude to. Regardless, I expect by 2018 the Tundra will be running a Fox TRD PRO suspension just like the Tacoma, so you can probably get them serviced end of story.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have been stuck with this discussion so many times and I still can't make up my mind but it seems like I going to go with kings. I can get all 4 king shocks for cheaper than the pro suspension, plus the kings can be rebuilt. Id rather rebuild a shock than spend another couple grand to buy new pro shocks, I don't know how good the warranty on those are. I have heard nothing but good things about both, but ultimately for me I think kings will outlast the life of the truck as they are rebuildable.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fox has a service interval chart on their web page. It's actually very short depending on how you drive it. Found that out on the Raptor pretty quickly as I needed a rebuild at 25k miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts