Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 CM TRD PRO with 15k miles on it and notice today on both side that the ball joint on the UCA have grease coming from below it. Doesn't look ripped or anything but wondering is this common or is it something for concern? Truck is basically stock with the TRD rear sway bar. Any suggesting be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
I just have the 2016 standard TRD with 19k miles, and both of my upper ball joints have looked like that for at least a year. Got a friend that has a 2014, and his looks the same. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's normal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 2017 CM TRD PRO with 15k miles on it and notice today on both side that the ball joint on the UCA have grease coming from below it. Doesn't look ripped or anything but wondering is this common or is it something for concern? Truck is basically stock with the TRD rear sway bar. Any suggesting be greatly appreciated.
Looks normal. As long as they ain't making any popping noises your good. And if your worried total chaos makes a good uca :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
normal for all rubber ball joint to weep. suck that they dont have zerk fittings from the factory.

my '00 4runner weeped, '12 4runner weeped, and now my '16 tundra weeps. im swapping mine out soon for camburg uniballs though.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
normal for all rubber ball joint to weep. suck that they dont have zerk fittings from the factory.

my '00 4runner weeped, '12 4runner weeped, and now my '16 tundra weeps. im swapping mine out soon for camburg uniballs though.
Can anyone tell me if the "silver discs" shown in the OP's photos are just cover pieces for where a ball joint zerk fitting would be installed once the cover is pried off? I would expect to find the threaded female under there where I would then install the zerk fitting. In my experience ball joints need/benefit from periodic inspection and greasing.

My 1997 T-100, 4WD, did NOT have zerk fittings for upper and lower ball joints. But had, from the factory, a simply hex head mini-bolt in a zerk female fitting. Out with the bolt, in with the zerk and I was in business.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the "silver discs" shown in the OP's photos are just cover pieces for where a ball joint zerk fitting would be installed once the cover is pried off? I would expect to find the threaded female under there where I would then install the zerk fitting. In my experience ball joints need/benefit from periodic inspection and greasing.

My 1997 T-100, 4WD, did NOT have zerk fittings for upper and lower ball joints. But had, from the factory, a simply hex head mini-bolt in a zerk female fitting. Out with the bolt, in with the zerk and I was in business.

Thanks for the help.
They are not cover pieces and cannot be removed. That is the ball joint housing that is pressed into the UCA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.