Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2019 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro, after trading in a 2011 Toyota Tundra SR5. For the last five years I have towed a Jayco Eagle that weighs approx 8,900 pounds without any problems. I bought my new Tundra with the assumption that I woudl be able to continue towing as I have been. However, the new TRD Pro is squatting REALLY bad. I have since found out that the TRD has a lower towing capacity (shame on me for not looking in more detail into this). Any advice? Has anyone had this experience?

·
Registered
138 Posts
It is not necessarily the lower tow rating (did you go from a Dc to a Cm, 2wd to 4wd?) But the fact the truck is lifted 2" in front and none in the rear leaving a minimum amount of rake. Airbags or an add a leaf in the rear would be a nice addition for towing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cannot seem to get any straight answers from the dealership. I went from SR5 4WD to TRD Pro 4WD thinking I was getting the same towinig ability. After the fact, I have discovered that I basicaly lost almost 1,000 pounds of towing capacity from what I can gather on the internet. Does anyone on here have experience with this? Can you shed more light for me? I am not an automotive guy. I just know I had great luck pulling our 8,900 pound camper with my previous Tundra, and so far that has not been the case with the new truck. The camper squats the truck so low that it feels like the front end is barely touching the ground. As anyone had experience with adding the air bags to the TRD Pro?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well the tow rating is at 10,500 lbs on ur old ride think the pro is at 9500 lbs would not think that would cause it to squat that much as ur talkin about couple things here this may sound crazy but have u readjusted the trailer hitch as in rasie it up so ur tow bars r able to wrk correctly
If this dont wrk may have to add a helper spring which is a simple fix
I have a 07trd now with no issues pullin our camper but im lookin into a pro myslef soon and have been told cant lift them as u can the other models cause of suspension underneath the pro without high end lifts weather this is true idk
Hope this helps u enjoy your truck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Install a set of air bags. Problem solved. Hook up and go. You won’t have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would guess that you need to reset up the weight distributing hitch (WDH). If the PRO sits taller, that will reduce the spring load on the WDH significantly and cause the rear to sag significantly. I am guessing that it is much easier to pull up the springs now than with the old truck.

Your tow rating has not changed enough to stop you from towing this trailer. I don't know if the rear springs are now softer than the previous truck or not, but it should not matter. You should be able to adjust the hitch springs so that they level the truck.

I would start by lowering the rear ball height so that it is as close to what it was on the previous truck. If the new truck sits 2 inches higher, lower the ball 2 inches. Then, install the spring and pull them up as before and see how level things are. You may need to change the the angle of the springs to pull in more tension, but in the end, you want the trailer to sit perfectly level on level ground, and the truck to be close to level as you can get it. I usually can get mine to sit level or with the rear end sagged maybe an inch or two.

Don't be afraid to put some tension on those springs. They level your truck and are designed to do exactly that. If you find that you don't have springs that are stiff enough, get some up rated springs and pull them up as needed.

As a side note, I feel like stiffer WDH springs give me a better ride than softer springs because it helps prevent the trailer from bucking up and down over a bump. When you get it all set up right, your trailer and truck should go over bumps as a unit with little to no bucking. To get that, you will have to fool with the ball height vs. spring load vs. spring rating.

Last, if you go to an good RV dealer, they probably have seen this many time before and may be able to give you the exact combination of springs and settings that will get you close to right. And, they may be able to set up the hitch for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got a 2019 TRD Pro with Firestone airbags/Daystar cradle and an Air Lift 25980 controller and just added the TRD rear swaybar.

Tows my 27' travel trailer just fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Easy solution add airbags like several people have said. That won't effect the suspension of the pro. It works very well and it will level your truck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put a camper shell on mine and it squat. I installed Ride Rite Air Bags. It works great and I tow max capacity a lot while pulling skid steer and trailer. Worth the investment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts