Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I installed the TRDPro Skid on my 2012 Rock Warrior with a 1" Diff drop.

So, Yes, it will bolt to at least a 2012-2013. I assume it's all the same back to 2007.

Unfortunately, I will need to address the fitment issues because of the diff drop. Technically, the skid plate bolts up.
But, the diff mounts are resting right on the plate and will need to source longer bolts and additional spacers for a sturdier install.
There is a center block spacer that is just floating instead of sandwiched.
As it stands, It's fine for everyday commuting or mild-impact offroading. I won't trust it with a real hit until the issues are addressed.

Fortunately, there are no vibrations or strange noises.
Did you fix the problem any other issues?

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I guess I should have asked for some advice from those who already have them... this one went on a bit tougher than the old one came off. and I'm not 100% satisfied with the job I did. the rearmost bolts wouldn't tighten all the way snug. Is that normal? I feel like it's going to rattle pretty badly and possibly work the bolts loose.

I think the problem is that the bolts come pre-installed in the plate, using little retainer clips to hold everything in place. in past experience, those little clips either compress or get torn off when you tighten a nut down onto the bolt. For the front sets of bolts, that was true... of course the last ones I tightened down were the rears, and they simply refused to go any farther. I used the plate washers and nuts included with the hardware kit. I just didn't take off the retainer clips, and I really don't want to drop the whole thing and re-install it at this point. Can anyone offer some advice? Am I just talking to myself here? :D
Hey did you fix it? How did you and what was the reason for your first issue if you did?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Hey did you fix it? How did you and what was the reason for your first issue if you did?
no i left it that way for now. havent noticed any rattles... I was hoping someone else would install one and tell me what I did wrong, lol

·
Registered
262 Posts
Did you fix your problem? Any other issues?
Got the new water pump put on yesterday and did the TRD Pro skidplate today. No problems, rattles, or anything.

Yes, since I had to take the tow hooks off, I decided to shoot them with a quick coat of red. I think it looks pretty good with the fastest color Tundra (Blue Streak Metallic). >:D If the color wears on me, its easy enough to pull them off and go back to black.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Got the new water pump put on yesterday and did the TRD Pro skidplate today. No problems, rattles, or anything.
so those rearmost bolts - did you remove the retainer clips first? if not, did you get them to tighten all the way down? mine are tight, even after quite a bit of offroad action... but i can still push up on the rear of the plate and it will flex up.

·
Registered
262 Posts
so those rearmost bolts - did you remove the retainer clips first? if not, did you get them to tighten all the way down? mine are tight, even after quite a bit of offroad action... but i can still push up on the rear of the plate and it will flex up.
I did not--but I understand the issue. When you first tighten them, it feels pretty snug--but it is not due to the clips. I put the smack down and crushed the clips until they became washers. :) I have no flex at all. Which actually makes me wonder with an aluminum vs steel skid plate... .

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I did not--but I understand the issue. When you first tighten them, it feels pretty snug--but it is not due to the clips. I put the smack down and crushed the clips until they became washers. :) I have no flex at all. Which actually makes me wonder with an aluminum vs steel skid plate... .
I did that on all the others, but the rear ones just wouldn't cooperate for me. I didn't have my impact driver cranked all the way up or anything, but it sure felt like they wouldn't go any farther without breaking something. that may have just been my paranoia. I guess I'll have to get back under there and try again. thanks for the response!

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I did that on all the others, but the rear ones just wouldn't cooperate for me. I didn't have my impact driver cranked all the way up or anything, but it sure felt like they wouldn't go any farther without breaking something. that may have just been my paranoia. I guess I'll have to get back under there and try again. thanks for the response!
Man I know it sounds crazy but I wonder if it should have a little wiggle on the back. not like a ton but a little. I am going to call the dealership tomorrow and ask. Just seems weird that most are having the same problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
These are even on Amazon now.. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-PT938-34140-Skid-Plate/dp/B00SLLDGK6[/ame]

Two questions:
1) Anybody take off the oil change door and see how hard it is or isn't to change the filter?
2) It goes back pretty far, but not all the way back to the drain plug? i.e. The drain plug is still accessible?

- Ken

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just offered $350 and accepted with free shipping on an eBay one. Listed as refurbished but otherwise new.

I'll be installing this with a diff drop kit. I assume I'll likely be making some spacers and replacing some parts with longer bolts. Sounds like the rear portion needs some spacers due to some issues with the rear section.

I spent quite a bit of time looking over this vs the bud built. It's nice that Toyota has produced something thicker than the sheet metal stocker on my 2010.

I put a small dent in the rear crossmember between the control arms which could have been avoided with proper setup. I'll likely plate that section with some 1/4" flat bar prior to the install.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'll be installing this with a diff drop kit. I assume I'll likely be making some spacers and replacing some parts with longer bolts. Sounds like the rear portion needs some spacers due to some issues with the rear section.
Interested to hear how this goes. Please post your experience with the diff drop kit and pictures, if you can.

derp

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for your reply MINO. I installed the skid plate last night using three longer bolts in the center of the plate and the billet spacers that came with my diff drop in addition to the spacers that come with the skid plate. Even using 1/2 inch longer bolts and the ~1/2 inch diff drop kit spacers the plate still rested on the diff mounts. It seems like another 1/4 to a 1/2 of spacer would take care of the problem. It would be great if someone would put together a kit with the right bolts and longer spacers to solve for this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I installed the skid plate today. I bought 3/4" longer bolts for the middle bolts and stacked the diff. drop spacers with the stock ones that came with the plate. The rear bolts I did not have any nuts to thread into the top. Not sure if I was missing the nuts in the shipment. As a temporary measure I installed the bolts from the top down due to the large opening on the top which wo I lds require a larger washer. The Allen head bolt in the center could be a bit longer. It's an 8mm with 1.25 pitch and 100mm in length. 110 mm would be better but couldn't find one locally. The other two are just 8 mm flange bolts. The front three bolts were fine. I couldn't use the screws which attach the valance tabs to the skid plate. I will have to source some self tapping screws for that in a larger diameter.

41 - 60 of 111 Posts