Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 16 Black Platinum and I love the TRD pro grill but I didnt like the grey color of the letters. So I decided to buy a pro grill, paint match it and had the letters chromed. I think it will complement the chrome accents that the truck already has. Ill get some more pictures once installed but here is what it looks like now.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a local paint shop do it. I sent the letters to a different shop that specializes in plastic chroming.

Thanks! I've been considering doing the same, but haven't pulled the trigger.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
That will look good on your black Truck.

I had my TRD Pro grille TOYOTA letters painted to match the truck.
I had to have my surround painted anyway, it was before the TRD Pro grille was factory available in MGM.
There was no way I was going to have silver letters on a MGM truck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I own a 16 Black Platinum and I love the TRD pro grill but I didnt like the grey color of the letters. So I decided to buy a pro grill, paint match it and had the letters chromed. I think it will complement the chrome accents that the truck already has. Ill get some more pictures once installed but here is what it looks like now.
Very Nice! I have a T-Rex Grille and an 80s Land Cruiser 14" chrome "TOYOTA" emblem on order (I'll remove the T-Rex logo). Hoping they work out as good as your design. I grew up on the old Toyota pickups with the "TOYOTA" grille not the modern oval logo. So it's a bit of nostalgia driving my decision here. My only doubt is that the emblem is going to look too small. If so I'll just go with a small chrome 6" x 1" TRD logo in the bottom right corner where the T-Rex logo is in the pic below.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
How do you get the Toyota off and back on the TRD Pro grille?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you get the Toyota off and back on the TRD Pro grille?
I used a heat gun and fishing line to take the letters off. Then I removed all of the adhesive from the grill and letters. To reinstall I just used 3M Scotch Mount Molding Tape. Apply the tape to the letters, cut any excess, cleaned the grill surface and then just heated everything up and reinstalled.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I used a heat gun and fishing line to take the letters off. Then I removed all of the adhesive from the grill and letters. To reinstall I just used 3M Scotch Mount Molding Tape. Apply the tape to the letters, cut any excess, cleaned the grill surface and then just heated everything up and reinstalled.
Awesome, thanks! It all went back on clean and factory looking?

Is there any pins behind there to align the letters, or is it smooth?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome, thanks! It all went back on clean and factory looking?

Is there any pins behind there to align the letters, or is it smooth?
All went back together fine and looks like it came from the factory that way. There are two alignment pins on each letter so its pretty difficult to install it the wrong way (thank god for that).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
All went back together fine and looks like it came from the factory that way. There are two alignment pins on each letter so its pretty difficult to install it the wrong way (thank god for that).
Sweet! That's a great picture. Very happy to hear about the pins. I'm going to have to take the letters off because I want the whole grille painted. I really hope the new tape sticks as well as OEM because it'd suck if one of the letters fell off somehow. Probably would need to buy a new grille.

Your chrome letters turned out really nice - that's a good way to dress up the Pro grille a bit

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sweet! That's a great picture. Very happy to hear about the pins. I'm going to have to take the letters off because I want the whole grille painted. I really hope the new tape sticks as well as OEM because it'd suck if one of the letters fell off somehow. Probably would need to buy a new grille.

Your chrome letters turned out really nice - that's a good way to dress up the Pro grille a bit
The tape looks to be what they used from the factory. It is pretty sticky stuff. Just make sure you heat it when you put it on the letters and then before you apply it to the grill and you should be good.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
The tape looks to be what they used from the factory. It is pretty sticky stuff. Just make sure you heat it when you put it on the letters and then before you apply it to the grill and you should be good.
Will do! Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts

Just my worthless opinion, but I think you'd been better off with some kind of brushed aluminum finish over chrome.
Something that would have matched your wheels and step better, even the sliver would have done that.
If you had chrome bumper ends, I could see it, but those chrome letters look out of place IMHO.
I guess they match those chrome mirror caps..

But that is only my 2¢.
It may, nor should it, mean anything to you.
I'm just not a fan of chrome on all black truck.
Perhaps you intend to get chrome wheels and steps.
If you're happy with it, that is all that matters...:)

If I had that nice truck, I'd ditch the chrome mirror caps, and chrome door handles for painted ones.
But again, that is just 1lowlife's opinion.

Nice Porsche, BTW..;)

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts

Just my worthless opinion, but I think you'd been better off with some kind of brushed aluminum finish over chrome.
Something that would have matched your wheels and step better, even the sliver would have done that.
If you had chrome bumper ends, I could see it, but those chrome letters look out of place IMHO.
I guess they match those chrome mirror caps..

But that is only my 2¢.
It may, nor should it, mean anything to you.
I'm just not a fan of chrome on all black truck.
Perhaps you intend to get chrome wheels and steps.
If you're happy with it, that is all that matters...

If I had that nice truck, I'd ditch the chrome mirror caps, and chrome door handles for painted ones.
But again, that is just 1lowlife's opinion.

Nice Porsche, BTW..
You and me both, adding chrome should be against the law lol ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with the letters and matching the wheels. In a few months I will only have black or chrome on the truck. I will be getting black wheels and ditching the SS side steps. I thought about ditching all of the chrome and I probably would have if i had any color other then black. Something about black with a touch of chrome I like. We'll see how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts