Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I don't know. But it couldn't hurt. That's why I'm looking hard at high quality stainless options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, gotcha. Is the TRD supposed to be high quality stainless? I thought so but can't remember. Is the light surface rusting a problem is low quality stainless? I can get a pic if it helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ah, gotcha. Is the TRD supposed to be high quality stainless? I thought so but can't remember. Is the light surface rusting a problem is low quality stainless? I can get a pic if it helps.

I thought it was but keep hearing complaints about rust. So it can't be that good

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I thought it was but keep hearing complaints about rust. So it can't be that good

Lol good point

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
It's 409SS. I am pretty sure it also said USA on the print where I saw 409 on mine.

409 really shouldn't ever rust through, but will develop surface rust.

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
409 stainless will develop surface rust quicker than aluminized mild steel, but aluminized mild steel will develop perforating rust quicker than 409.

Just to add another layer of mystery, there is also aluminized 409.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So I've got a few hundred miles on the exhaust now.

Loving it more!

Zero drone. Haven't towed with it yet.

I've read complaints of drone and reduced low end. My experience is the opposite. I don't know if numbers would support my feeling but I think the truck accelerates better now. Could be trans shift points or power or I don't know but I really like how it feels now. Shift points under power are perfect.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I've read complaints of drone and reduced low end. My experience is the opposite. I don't know if numbers would support my feeling but I think the truck accelerates better now. Could be trans shift points or power or I don't know but I really like how it feels now. Shift points under power are perfect.

I kinda felt it was just a touch snappier on acceleration as well. Probably placebo, but either way I was happy that it definitely didn't feel any slower than with the stock system.

Thanks for the update, and glad you're liking it! I love mine as well!

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
My truck with it seems normal down low compared to my last truck, maybe more torque. But top end just sucks. I think it is a 2010 vs 2017 issue with torque management still.

Maybe I should read my alcohol% and monitor my timing/throttle % and actually figure out what is going on someday. I still have files from years ago when I logged them to send to BD...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think it is a 2010 vs 2017 issue with torque management still.
Do you remember if your truck was built in 2010 or 2009 and labeled as a 2010?

It seems there might have been some changes going from the 2009 year to the 2010+ years also.

Didn't realize these new TRD exhausts smoke so much.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Have about 300 miles on it now and no smoke in some time.

I did notice the part numbers changed. Not sure if there's any significance to that or not.

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
Do you remember if your truck was built in 2010 or 2009 and labeled as a 2010?

It seems there might have been some changes going from the 2009 year to the 2010+ years also.

Didn't realize these new TRD exhausts smoke so much.
It was a 2010 built 2010

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I had them on my '12 and loved them so much I added them to my new '17! They smoked a lot due to the cosmoline (or whatever the anti rust agent they use for shipping is) cleared up after 50 miles or so.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I looked up underneath at someone who had one for just over a year here in New England. The pipes all had the surface rust everyone is talking about but the flanges and the mufflers themselves were still bright and shiny. I thought I remember someone telling me that was because certain parts were made of 409 and and the others were made of 304 if I'm saying that correctly. And I believe the 304 was better than the 409. On another note, has anyone tried powdercoating and exhaust? Can it withstand the heat? I'd like to do a trd exhaust but dumped under the truck, basically just a foot of pipe or so coming out of the mufflers

21 - 40 of 51 Posts