Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up guys. If you have plans to replace your pads, i Strongly suggest to stay away from TRD pads. I ran these for 3700ish miles and from day one they squealed and the brake dust is out of control. I finally changed them out last week with a semi-ceramic from R-1 and no more squealing or dusty wheels.

I was thinking these would given me the best stopping power, being TRD product, but i was very disapointed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was thinking these would given me the best stopping power, being TRD product, but i was very disapointed.
No kidding?
I was considering the TRD pads because motoIQ.com was gushing over them for their Tundra build.

That's too bad. I like TRD stuff.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, sounds about right. im still good on my breaks, how your rotors working?
Love the R1 rotors, they're holding up well. I had them on my 07 TBSS, no complaints there.
No kidding?
I was considering the TRD pads because motoIQ.com was gushing over them for their Tundra build.

That's too bad. I like TRD stuff.
To me they were very very 'soft on the rotor" which was prolly good, but they didn't stop like i wanted them to. As dusty as they were, there was no reason to keep them in. The good part was changing them was a breeze.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
glad i saw this, i was gonna order a set, but def not after this bit of information, my wheels are already a pita to clean LOL.. i would however like to know more on the R-1 branded rotors, how are they holding up, did you notice better braking with them etc.. i tow alot and the stock rotors got killed this year

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
glad i saw this, i was gonna order a set, but def not after this bit of information, my wheels are already a pita to clean LOL.. i would however like to know more on the R-1 branded rotors, how are they holding up, did you notice better braking with them etc.. i tow alot and the stock rotors got killed this year
I'm coming up on 5k miles with these rotors and i couldn't be happier with them. Like i stated above i had them on my TBSS and they were far better than i imagined. I would recommend hitting them with a light coat of black paint before installing them. That will keep the "slotted" parts looking fresh and stand out once they are broken in.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
For the last ten years, I have replaced every pad on all my vehicles with ceramics.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Weird...I have the TRD pads on my truck and have been using them for 20K+ miles (not the same pads)

I also have the R1 front rotors...never noticed a big difference in the dust from the TRD pads vs stock pads??

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
I have let the dealer change my oil and rotate my tires on the Tundra every 5K. It is amazing how nasty the wheels get.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
I've always stayed away from drilled due to the chances of them cracking in between holes. Unless you plan on road racing your truck, which i don't i can't justify using them..
I would modify that statement to "cheap" drilled rotors. I have ran several sets on a few vehicles and haven't had any problems.

If they are beveled on the hole correctly, the stress is relieved and you usually don't have problems.

All bets are off on the cheap chinese ones.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would modify that statement to "cheap" drilled rotors. I have ran several sets on a few vehicles and haven't had any problems.

If they are beveled on the hole correctly, the stress is relieved and you usually don't have problems.

All bets are off on the cheap chinese ones.
Very true, but i had a pair of Baer rotors crack on me. They don't get much better than those as far as a good street rotor.

But ya, chinese ones don't count.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts