Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 70k miles my 2014 TRD Off-road CM 4x4 needed new shocks. I went with the upgrade to the TRD Pro suspension and thought I'd share my take on the change. At first, right after install there was only minimal difference and I was a bit disappointed. After 1500 miles of break-in I can tell you that the change is worth the cost. For those that have the TRD Off-road Bilsteins you know about the decent off-road handling they give but also know of the somewhat punishing ride. The biggest difference between the two is the Pro's don't give that punishing pop-back-up after going over rough patches, uneven terrain and bumps (something I minimally achieved by using BFG KO2 tires with the off-road Bilsteins tho those tires wore quick and had horrible dry traction IMO). You still feel the initial bump tho it's somewhat muted vs the off-road Bilsteins but where the Pro setup shines is in the smooth way they return the vehicle after the initial hit - you don't feel that at all. I'd say (unscientifically) the ride is improved somewhere between 50-75% over the Offroad setup. It still rides like a large truck tho the punishing aspect is gone. You still feel the road imperfections but they don't harshly jostle the cabin. Additionally the truck is leveled now but not lifted. I had Earnhardt Toyota in E Mesa perform the upgrade - was $3200 & change OTD and did an outstanding job. They had me return after 1500 miles to re-torque. Rides really nice vs the off-road Bilsteins. I'm riding with Goodyear AT Adventure w/Kevlar tires (best tires I've had so far) right now. Looking forward to at least another 70k miles in this ride.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Good to hear. I just upgraded to TRD Pro suspension also.
I was hoping for a little softer ride.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
My truck had stock 4x4 suspension.
And a little of both as the OP stated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.