Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so it's front30/33rear on the placard. I bought it with a mixture of something like 36.5/38/35/35 all around.

I haven't run it with the 30/33, but I did just lower them. Has anyone else? Any reason not to follow the guidelines?

It was all over the road with the "dealer air" they aren't very good at matching the "we put 35 in all tires".....

·
Registered
517 Posts
OK, so it's front30/33rear on the placard. I bought it with a mixture of something like 36.5/38/35/35 all around.

I haven't run it with the 30/33, but I did just lower them. Has anyone else? Any reason not to follow the guidelines?

It was all over the road with the "dealer air" they aren't very good at matching the "we put 35 in all tires".....
I have the BF Goodwinch Rugged Terrains... when i picked it up it had the 30/33 psi. i found that the front tires looked flat! i ended up putting 35 psi all around... it rides a good bit rougher but the tires looking flat were bothering me too much.

when it was 30/33psi it did ride like a completely different truck, much smoother... food for thought

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, drove it to work this morn with 30/33. Felt smoother. I did notice a bit of "squat" on the fronts with the 30 PSI. I just naturally assume the engineers at Toyota know a bit about the truck since they designed it. Dealers just sell them and put 35 in evrything on the lot.

Not sure why it wouldn't be equal (30/30 or 33/33) since the engine weighs a lot more that the empty bed does, but I guess they anticipate the bed having max'd cargo weight.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought TRD's come with BFG Rugged Trails.
Nopper, not the 2014s. They have Mich 245/65/18s/
From Edmunds:
New 18-inch Michelin LTX AT2 tires have been rolled out for the popular TRD Off-Road package, replacing last year's BFGoodrich rubber. Heavy overnight rains and the knowledge that someone else will wash this truck allow us to conclude these new shoes provide excellent off-road grip in gooey mud.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yep, drove it to work this morn with 30/33. Felt smoother. I did notice a bit of "squat" on the fronts with the 30 PSI. I just naturally assume the engineers at Toyota know a bit about the truck since they designed it. Dealers just sell them and put 35 in evrything on the lot.

Not sure why it wouldn't be equal (30/30 or 33/33) since the engine weighs a lot more that the empty bed does, but I guess they anticipate the bed having max'd cargo weight.
i just can't believe that the tires can wear correctly sitting so flat (with 30 psi).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, good point. Maybe I'll try 32 all around. 35 is too firm. And I dont often carry full loads...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Nopper, not the 2014s. They have Mich 245/65/18s/
From Edmunds:
New 18-inch Michelin LTX AT2 tires have been rolled out for the popular TRD Off-Road package, replacing last year's BFGoodrich rubber. Heavy overnight rains and the knowledge that someone else will wash this truck allow us to conclude these new shoes provide excellent off-road grip in gooey mud.
Wow, that's awesome! Didn't care for my Ragged Trails, got 18k miles outta them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep I had those drugged trails on my 2002 a decade ago. I went with the ATKO and never looked back. I'd have preferred them again on my '14. Maybe in a year....

·
Registered
1,665 Posts

It is funny, sad, and crazy what "dealers" do with air. Anyway my truck was delivered with 26/34/33/36 (front L&R, Rear L&R). So far that is the only thing “wrong” with the truck. LOL – Air pressure.

When I left the lot and got up to 65MPH there was significant vibration, essentially it was because of that difference on the front axle, both sides turning different through the front diff. The dashboard was buzzing (vibrating).

The next morning when the tires cooled down, but still about 80 degrees outside, I put in 35 on all four corners. I have been driving that way ever since and 100% of the vibration went away. Yes that is most likely a little too much, but soon the weather will be much colder so the tires will automatically make themselves lower….maybe down to about 33 at four corners.

As of now, I cannot see going below 30 on the front cold and going above 33 could be more than I want or like….maybe 32 will be the sweet spot…only time will tell.

Oil change and tire rotation:

Dumb Dealers: ok it is 100 degrees and your tires are hot from driving and you tell the dealer to use factory placard but add 5 pounds for all four corners because of the “heat”. The dealer says they can’t do that because it is against the law (or a made up Toyota rule). So naturally the next morning a cool front comes through and you cold tires at 65 degrees now read only 22-25 lbs. We all know what running on flat tires will do $$$$$.

Smart Dealers: Do what the customer wants, because we know what we are doing. The next day I don’t have to mess around in a business suit putting air in my flat tires.

So far it has been my experience that only 1 in 4 dealers understand this. Something simple as “air pressure”.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting BigTex, I had the same experience (and in Texas too). The saleslady blamed everything BUT the tire pressure when I mentioned it felt like I was being buffeted by wind on the test drive. Oh the roads rough (I-10), Oh the roads not level and leans (I-10), Oh it IS windy....

Yeah well, rides better now. I thought it needed an alignment for a while. :)
And yes, I'm going to try 32 all around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts