Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read so many reviews on what to buy, who had what experience etc.. But in my opinion with an intake it all comes down to price & i was fortunate to come across a used one for a great price.

FIT: Its a factory produced part, so naturally it should fit well, the filter dropped right in & the sensors lined right up as well as the vac ports etc.. I only had a problem with ONE of the clamps, but i may have been me taking off the old one, I would give the fit a 9.5 ONLY because you have to modify the engine cover

FINISH: The finish is stellar, the box texture is smooth so no dirt getting caked in etc.., The intake tube has a textured finish which could collect dirt but seems that it would wash off easily. Couplers are nice, not cheap rubber ones that look like they'll break or crack easily.

SOUND: To those that said the TRD intake sounded stock, YOUR CRAZY!! When you open this thing up its got a nice healthy growl to it.

PERFORMANCE: Eh.. its an intake, makes cool noises when you get on the gas, Only thing i'd expect is maybe a mpg or 2 better

Overall, The intake is great, there are so many out there & i don't think you can go wrong with ANY of them. I'll get some pics when i have time, but my camera has been giving fits LOL

·
Registered
651 Posts
I read so many reviews on what to buy, who had what experience etc.. But in my opinion with an intake it all comes down to price & i was fortunate to come across a used one for a great price.

FIT: Its a factory produced part, so naturally it should fit well, the filter dropped right in & the sensors lined right up as well as the vac ports etc.. I only had a problem with ONE of the clamps, but i may have been me taking off the old one, I would give the fit a 9.5 ONLY because you have to modify the engine cover
FINISH: The finish is stellar, the box texture is smooth so no dirt getting caked in etc.., The intake tube has a textured finish which could collect dirt but seems that it would wash off easily. Couplers are nice, not cheap rubber ones that look like they'll break or crack easily.

SOUND: To those that said the TRD intake sounded stock, YOUR CRAZY!! When you open this thing up its got a nice healthy growl to it.

PERFORMANCE: Eh.. its an intake, makes cool noises when you get on the gas, Only thing i'd expect is maybe a mpg or 2 better

Overall, The intake is great, there are so many out there & i don't think you can go wrong with ANY of them. I'll get some pics when i have time, but my camera has been giving fits LOL
You didn't have to. Thats one of two options.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
651 Posts
meaning?? i don't see how it would fit on there any other way
I guess you didn't get those spaceer gpend mentioned.

Edited: Hope gpend and I didn't ruin your purchase...

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
all he would have to do is gripe at whoever he bought it from and they should send some new ones out or ask me nicely and i may be able to find the ones that came with mine lol

and Rengsey, paint yo cover

·
Registered
651 Posts
all he would have to do is gripe at whoever he bought it from and they should send some new ones out or ask me nicely and i may be able to find the ones that came with mine lol

Dame..didn't think about that..lol I think I will. :) :banghead:

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it comes with these little spacer things atleast mine did that extend the mounting points up like 2" so no cutting needed, i just left mine off for a while i hate plastic covers
I guess you didn't get those spaceer gpend mentioned.

Edited: Hope gpend and I didn't ruin your purchase...
no you didn't ruin it, i haven't cut the cover yet, so maybe i will try to find something somewhere or even call the guy i got it from, he was pretty cool

that would be pretty sweet if you found & donated yours if i can't obtain them.. on the other hand my cover is gonna get painted to match the intake black & red

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm... anyone that has those spaces can you tell me what they are?? are they double threaded etc..?? @ $35 for TWO spacers needless to say i won't be buying a set of new ones lol

·
Registered
452 Posts
can you just back out the mounting bolts on the cover a little ?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can you just back out the mounting bolts on the cover a little ?
no i tried that, the stud that screws into the manifold are pretty short

·
Registered
20 Posts
The TRD Performance Air Intake System improves both horsepower and torque. Dyno testing measured the following power improvements at the rear wheels:

Horsepower Torque
Horsepower: V8 +8.0hp @ 5,600 rpm
Torque: +7.5 ft-lbs torque @ 5,600
... from the sparks website

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
lol, @ an amazing 5600 rpm which we all see every day while driving... Right before it shifts.

·
Registered
320 Posts
When I installed my TRD intake, I used the spacers and thought it looked tacky with the cover sitting about 2" above everything else so took the spacers back off and trimmed the cover and it looks much nicer. I'll look and see if I still have the screws and spacers. I'll take a picture of my cover installed and post it later.

·
Registered
320 Posts
When I installed my TRD intake, I used the spacers and thought it looked tacky with the cover sitting about 2" above everything else so took the spacers back off and trimmed the cover and it looks much nicer. I'll look and see if I still have the screws and spacers. I'll take a picture of my cover installed and post it later.
Compare these pics to pics in post # 6

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 Platinum TRD Cold Air Intake

I know this is an old forum, but I just installed my TRD CAI on my 5.7L.
I opted to use the spacers for the plastic cover. I think it looks pretty good.
I would be extremely hesitant to cut the cover to fit the new tube. Easy install and I prefer the TRD system over the Volant I had on my previous truck. The Volant was definitely louder, but I really like that the TRD CAI uses the stock lower portion of the air filter box.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts