Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar

73K views 94 replies 31 participants last post by  H2O MAN 
#1 ·
Anyone here added either the front or rear TRD sway bar and can provide some feedback? I have a 2018 CM 4x4

#4 ·
I added the TRD rear swaybar many years ago to my 2012 Crewmax and noticed an improvement immediately. I have since purchased a TRD front swaybar for the truck and am waiting for the time to install it.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#21 · (Edited)
Here is a summary of the technical information I have been able to gather regarding the front sway bar options:

OEM Tundra front sway bar (48811-0C020) - 17 lb - hollow (inner diameter d approx. 64% of outer diameter D)

OEM Sequoia front sway bar (48811-0C030) - 24 lb - hollow but thicker walls (d/D = 0.41) - 16% stiffer than Tundra (ref. 1) - $120 New ($50-$80 Used)

2018 TRD Sport front sway bar (PTR62-0C180) - 29 lb (ref. 2) - solid - 20% stiffer than Tundra (ref. 3) - $177 New

The outer diameter for all bars is the same - thickening the walls adds incrementally more stiffness. Early performance reports are that any difference from the TRD and Sequoia bars in handling during hard cornering on the highway is hardly noticeable, if at all.

References:
(1) Stiffer front sway bar available
(2) https://www.tundras.com/threads/front-trd-sway-bar.18536/
(3) Ultimate OEM Toyota Tundra parts thread

#9 ·
I Tried to install the front sway bar yesterday and failed. I didn't realize how heavy 29# was. I am getting old. I managed to get the stock bar off...just couldn't manage to get the new one bolted up. I have some warranty work I have been putting off...I will make an appointment to get it put on Friday. Def more body roll without the bar.

#11 · (Edited)
Yes. ^^^Many have said that. In off road conditions (2WD or 4WD) you want your truck to kind of bend and move with the rough terrain. The sway bar restricts that.

Around town it HAS TO BE the best $200 mod going.

And "yes" a sway bar is heavy. Yes, it is difficult to get it into position, hold it there, and get two bolts in. You need to block up the sway bar. Raise it off the ground. The shipping box can get you really close (set sway bar on top of box). I did it with stacks of 2x6 and 1x4 pieces of wood (this method allows you to incrementally raise it a piece of wood at a time). If your girl has stout big tits tell her to lay under your Tundra for a few minutes.

#12 ·
When I had the TRD Offroad shocks on the truck the rear TRD Swaybar was a great addition. I've swapped the Offfroads with the TRD Pro setup and tried with both the rear swaybar on and off. With the Prod setup (and I expect other higher-quality shocks) the rear swaybar is actually a detriment. I noticed much less bed-hop and the ride was a bit more smooth without the rear swaybar on the Pro setup than with it. I have a little body-roll back with the Pros minus the swaybar but it's not anywhere near what it was woth the Offroad setup before I put the swaybar on. From what I've read all 2014+ Tundra's come with the front swaybar already on from the factory...not 100% sure on this one tho.

#13 ·
When I had the TRD Offroad shocks on the truck the rear TRD Swaybar was a great addition. I've swapped the Offroads with the TRD Pro setup and tried with both the rear swaybar on and off. With the Pro setup (and I expect other higher-quality shocks) the rear swaybar is actually a detriment. I noticed much less bed-hop and the ride was a bit more smooth without the rear swaybar on the Pro setup than with it. I have a little body-roll back with the Pros minus the swaybar but it's not anywhere near what it was with the Offroad setup before I put the swaybar on. From what I've read all 2014+ Tundra's come with the front swaybar already on from the factory...not 100% sure on this one tho.

#16 ·
I had the TRD Sport front sway bar installed today. After 3 days without a front sway bar, I most say that I am happy. A lot less swaying on the nose. A noticeable difference. I am happy with the mod.

#25 ·
I literally just bought the back sway bar. I have 5160's in the back. Looking forward to getting it.

#26 · (Edited)
Well crap. I just ordered the TRD front sway bar. It'll be here next week and installed next weekend. Sparks Toyota also had a clearance sale on a "maintenance kit." Air filter, cabin air filter, oil filter and Mama Toyota wiper blades. $60. Shit. Put that in the box too please.

#32 ·
Just put the TRD on the rear, you will not be disappointed. Well worth the cost. I went back and forth for almost 3 month on whether or not to buy this and finally pulled the trigger. It will take you 20 minutes with a buddy and 30 minutes by yourself. Now I'm just debating on purchasing the front.

#34 ·
How much was it? I just ordered the bilstein 5160 about an hour ago and wish they would be on my door step tomorrow morning. Wife is due with our 4th kid tomorrow so it might be some time before I get to work on the truck.

#36 ·
You still have a link of it? I haven't found anything less then 288$.

#37 ·
Post #21 has a $177 link. (Use code Forum20 for 20% discount on shipping.)

#39 ·
I put my rear TRD sway bar back on yesterday.
Took me about 30 minutes by myself.

I took it off to see if the ride would be smoother, but it wasn't.
What made my ride smoother was buying new KO2 tires and getting rid of my stock KO tires.

These trucks should have come stock with the RSB.
The difference of body roll on turns and freeways ramps is night and day.
I missed having mine on for the 6 months I did without it.

#40 ·
I wish I would have bought the bar a long time ago. I also just pulled the trigger on some bilstein 5160 this morning.