Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I keep going back and forth between mufflers and the TRD seems to be what I want. I was a slight tone but not excessive. I've had my truck since April and I've put 14k miles on it. I go to NJ and PA a lot from Boston. I have a feeling I will be getting the TRD ones and from what I hear, this is perfect for me. I know it's a bit pricier but I'll deal with it.
I was in the same situation but I took the plunge and its by the far the best mod and worth it. Alot of money for a working man though!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I keep going back and forth between mufflers and the TRD seems to be what I want. I was a slight tone but not excessive. I've had my truck since April and I've put 14k miles on it. I go to NJ and PA a lot from Boston. I have a feeling I will be getting the TRD ones and from what I hear, this is perfect for me. I know it's a bit pricier but I'll deal with it.
I was in the same situation but I took the plunge and its by the far the best mod and worth it. Alot of money for a working man though!
It is but from what I have read, worth it. Especially where I go to NY/NJ, sometimes I just want a rumble. Not over excessive tone.

·
Registered
512 Posts
$1180 otd? How's that? TRD site has em' for $600 ... So, $580 for install?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
$1180 otd? How's that? TRD site has em' for $600 ... So, $580 for install?
Add another $400 for the tailpipes and a couple hours of labor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check the Tundratalk equipment exchange area, if you drive through CT you can pick up a used one from FirefighterCT:

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/sale/523177-trd-catback-exhaust-w-trd-tailpipe-kit-oem.html

I think this should bolt on your truck, but you would need to buy a drivers side rear exhaust hanger if you are still running the stock single exhaust.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
My dealer wanted 1600 installed. Are some of you guys doing the install yourselves? I watched the YouTube install video and it looks pretty straight forward. I have all the tools, minus the hanger rubber mount tool.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought mine with it and is probably my favorite part of the truck.. adds soooo much to owning it over the factory exhaust. and totally agree, best balance between sound, tone, and idle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
TRD exhaust install

My dealer wanted 1600 installed. Are some of you guys doing the install yourselves? I watched the YouTube install video and it looks pretty straight forward. I have all the tools, minus the hanger rubber mount tool.
I just installed mine today and I love the sound! Installing the TRD exhaust is a piece of cake! You dont need a "hanger rubber mount tool", I just used the claw end of a regular hammer and some WD-40. This exhaust goes on extremely easy and fits so perfect.

The most difficult part is getting your old exhaust off if you live in an area where they salt the roads in the winter. I have a 2010 and I am in PA and they salt here in the winter. The 4 bolts that are on the cat back exhaust flanges were rusted beyond doing anything but cutting the bolts off. These 4 bolts took me 2 hours to remove. After that I had the new exhaust on in 45 minutes.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I just installed mine today and I love the sound! Installing the TRD exhaust is a piece of cake! You dont need a "hanger rubber mount tool", I just used the claw end of a regular hammer and some WD-40. This exhaust goes on extremely easy and fits so perfect.

The most difficult part is getting your old exhaust off if you live in an area where they salt the roads in the winter. I have a 2010 and I am in PA and they salt here in the winter. The 4 bolts that are on the cat back exhaust flanges were rusted beyond doing anything but cutting the bolts off. These 4 bolts took me 2 hours to remove. After that I had the new exhaust on in 45 minutes.
Thanks! I should have no problems then. I live in South Texas. What's this salt on the road that you speak of? LOL. My truck is a 2015 with 1K miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
picking it up this sat. pretty excited but won't be able to get it on until hardware and gaskets come in after xmas. a little xmas present to myself...

Check the Tundratalk equipment exchange area, if you drive through CT you can pick up a used one from FirefighterCT:

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/sale/523177-trd-catback-exhaust-w-trd-tailpipe-kit-oem.html

I think this should bolt on your truck, but you would need to buy a drivers side rear exhaust hanger if you are still running the stock single exhaust.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
The install is very easy. With tools at the ready took less then 1.5 hours. Exhaust hangers can be a pain at times, I think some soap and water helped pop them out easier. Wear glasses, sucks to just get under truck and have something fall in eye. It also helps to lower your spare tire allowing more access to swing one side of the exhaust in.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
picking it up this sat. pretty excited but won't be able to get it on until hardware and gaskets come in after xmas. a little xmas present to myself...

Damnit! I'm next in line for that! Hope you enjoy it though!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The drone you guys are hearing at 50mph can be eliminated. I had the same issue, as I liked the great sound, but at 2700rpm, there is a helicopter drone. I had two resonators put in and now I have the great sound without the drone.

To one post about the drone mellowing out over time: this was not the case for me.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
The drone you guys are hearing at 50mph can be eliminated. I had the same issue, as I liked the great sound, but at 2700rpm, there is a helicopter drone. I had two resonators put in and now I have the great sound without the drone.

To one post about the drone mellowing out over time: this was not the case for me.
Have any pics?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thinking about an exhaust system too, stock sound on my 2015 CM Limited doesn't do it for me. I want a deeper burble but no drone when cruising. Sounds like the TRD or Bam. I really don't have to have dual pipes(one each side) I like the toyota trd tip option I have on the truck. Do you have a sound clip you can post

21 - 40 of 54 Posts