Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TRD dual exhaust installed today at dealership. $1,180. out the door. Nice rumble when you start up. Idle sounds very close to stock. Nice deep realistic rumble when raving the motor. Under normal execelleration has a great tome that you can enjoy but it won't stop the conversation in the truck. When getting on it? Ohh Yeah!!! Such a nice tone. As you climb through the RPM it just sings so nicely. When at 55, 60, 65, and 75 MPH cruise control set.. no drone but you can still hear its deep rumble.
Very happy with my price for purchase and install. Love that my truck finally sounds like a V8.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Try not to romp down on it even more when you pass hybrids. To to that is clearly wrong perhaps even evil but so fun.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Its the best $1000+ dollars I've ever spent on my Tundra. Every Tundra I own from here on out will have TRD Duals.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
495 Posts
For me, the TRD exhaust on my Pro is perfect. Just the right amount of rumble without being annoying or droning on.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds better when you tow a load.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I was driving on a three lane highway the other day and came up
on a hybrid driving slow in the hammer lane. Middle lane was open and a box truck was in the granny lane lane. So I move over and put my foot to the floor as I pass in between.

Now I've been self conscious about the sound of my TRD dual exhaust thinking it just wasn't quite loud enough.

Well I had my front windows down and the echo of the sound off the box truck panel actually thrilled, surprised and excited me to the point that I think I made a little #3 in my pants.

I am no longer doubting her sound when it counts. Absolutely love the pitch perfect to me growl of the TRD.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yesterday when I was pulling onto the highway, a car was stopped at the yield sign at the highway. Now I had to go from 0-75MPH in about 50 feet. I waited for the guy in front of me to be far enough out in front of me so when it is hammer time he isn't getting a "Tundra Enima". Gas mashed from a dead stop and going under 3 bridges, the sound was great. As BBQ said, "Pitch Perfect".

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too just installed the TRD dual exhaust yesterday. I think it sounds really tough but refined in all RPM ranges. It does the helicopter sound (blah blah blah) sound at around 50 mph but i know from previous Tundra that it will smooth out over time. I'm happy with my purchase overall plus it looks cool and sounds like a V8 should sound.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My 2011 Limited CM had a factory TRD dual exhaust setup and I really liked it. My '14 1794 CM had a single exhaust and I missed the sound of the duals. I made sure my new '16 1794 had the duals on it and the rest of the Tundras I buy will have it.

Funny that WhiteMan48 mentions the helicopter "blah, blah, blah" sound at 50 MPH or so.....I thought the same exact thing and find that resonance a little annoying after a while so, I try to avoid that speed. Small price to pay for the great sound otherwise.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Spoke with Ted @ Sema15 specifically about the TRD Duals. He sais most manufacturers go through 3-4 revisions when tuning an exhaust system specifically for a certain vehicle (Borla, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, etc) but said the engineer who designed the TRD Duals spent 28 revisions getting it EXACTLY as it stands now.

Said he would make adjustments to the baffling, length, etc -- weld it up and go out and test it at all different rpm ranges and with varying loads. Then come back to TRD and make changes.

In his words, "Its one of, if not the most finely tuned exhaust system for a truck on the market today"

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just ordered the TRD exhaust from Amazon for my truck! Here is some great info I found on a thread over at TundraSolutions posted by member crispone:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Creosote View Post
Made by Tenneco....does that include the very newest TRD duals with the two separate cylindrical canisters? I know the previous design was Tenneco, and the Gen 1 was Borla.

I think so. I'll check with my friend again... as he has been with another firm in related business... but that was a few years ago when he was on the project. Of course, that type of cad-up design/dev activity starts that far ahead on these things... but I'll check.

EDIT! Here's an excerpt from his comments to me on the TRD... sounds like it MAY be the system prior the true duals?

"crisp:

Did you lose my phone number? The TRD exhaust for the Gen II Tundra was the last project I worked on at Tenneco. TRD is the way to go on this truck. The exhaust is built on the same production line as the OE single exhaust. Just like the OE muffler, the TRD exhaust is made from LASER welded AISI409 stainless steel. The dual in and dual out design was my concept proposed to Toyota. The routing of the driver's side pipe is carefully done to protect the brake line and prevent heat damage to the spare tire.

Tenneco didn't do the Gen 1 Tundra exhaust. I know who did and I won't mention them here. Their design resulted in a recall because of potential brake system damage. This is what happens when an aftermarket company tries to engineer something like this. The TRD system was designed in parallel with the OE system, subjected to the same physical fatigue testing as the OE systems. (Two axis fatigue and thermal shock.) Even the support hangers were tested for resonance frequency at the same requirements as the OE hangers. This means the system will not naturally resonate into the chassis.

The tips are very high quality. The system is completely made in Tennessee but the tips are from Taiwan. (Coming from a very good supplier that I still keep in contact with.) The TRD logo is nicely embossed into the material and not just lightly laser etched.

I hope you enjoy the system. I had a blast on the project. The first time I got to ride the Tundra with the TRD system was in Toyota City, Japan in January 2006. TMS has a facility close to TTC-Japan but not on Toyota's main campus. The test driver pulled this massive quad cab 5.7L pickup truck out of the garage and just sat there revving the engine. He wasn't used to powerful V-8s and certainly not used to such a large truck. TMS doesn't have a test track so we drove around the small campus. Keep in mind, the streets (or alleys) are really typical Japanese narrow. He pulls out and floors it between the buildings. The sound of the TRD exhaust is just ripping with power as it resonates off the buildings. A cross walk ahead has Toyota office workers scrambling in the rain to get out of the way. Small delivery trucks dash to the sides to make room for the huge truck to come through. Literally, everyone outside stops to see and hear this massive beast go by. This is a truck that is VERY out of place in Japan. Although I am in a Japanese brand vehicle, I feel very American at that moment. We make our way around to the garage again but not before we frighten the Budda out of a few more Toyota employees. We stop short and the test driver turns to me and says. "Bxxxxx-san! I am very sorry. My head says safety but my foot says FUN!" I never laughed so hard at a Japanese comment."

^^^ Those were his comments to me. Hope that is good insight, anyway...

-crisp

Link to original thread:
Best Price on TRD Exhaust?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I keep going back and forth between mufflers and the TRD seems to be what I want. I was a slight tone but not excessive. I've had my truck since April and I've put 14k miles on it. I go to NJ and PA a lot from Boston. I have a feeling I will be getting the TRD ones and from what I hear, this is perfect for me. I know it's a bit pricier but I'll deal with it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts