Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after putting just 23k on the exhaust, every part except the muffler and tips are completely rusted, it look absolutely horrible now.

Has anyone else had this issue? I mean, it's just straight rust, there is no way it's actually all stainless. :(

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Taking a close look at TRD components, it becomes clear that each one is manufactured using the finest components and materials, like stainless steel. This ensures a level of quality that is expected on a Toyota and Scion vehicle. Odds are, you purchased your Toyota or Scion because you wanted a level of quality that’s second to none. When it comes to modifying your exhaust, you want to maintain that quality, which is why you can count on TRD components. Crafted of stainless steel, TRD systems use factory-type connector flanges and existing factory mounting hangers to ensure a precise fit and long-term durability. In addition, they are designed to mount to existing locations, which eliminates the need to drill additional holes. Also, TRD uses double wall exhaust tips on several applications. Dual wall construction preserves the bright polish stainless finish from discoloring heat."

Little vague, but I would imagine that's what they're implying?

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Yeah that's vague. Email or call them and express your concerns. Maybe they can give you an answer and will help even though it's out of warranty.

Can't hurt to try

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
HID Retrofit Lord
1,481 Posts
Could you please post pictures? I had the old version for around a year and it just had a few rusting spots.
the newer version is constructed with better materials.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Stainless still corrodes, as well as it will stain very easily when it is hot (ie rain) and turn it a brown rusty color. when I got my truck, the exhaust was still shiny (being from arizona and little rain). it is no where close to that now since I live in a very wet region. But my SS Exhaust tip still looks almost new.

the wife's Avalon has factory SS exhaust and it looks the same. Most of the tips are fabricated to be cooled so they don't change color/stain as bad as the pipes.

(dowp the double wall part :p listed while i was writing this)

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
The new version listed on sparks says its 304 stainless so it shouldn't rust like a 409....I could see the brownish discolouration from the heat. My nfab steps get a bit brown around the welds over the winter but can cleaned up.

I think the main diff between the grades a higher nickel content in the 304

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok guys, here is a pic of the back part, the portion connecting to the cats from the muffler looks identical, as well as from the muffler back (which is part of the picture attached) The mufflers and tips are just fine, just a little dirty.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
looks good to me, everything in Afghanistan is shitty lookin like that

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
If that is a stainless steel exhaust, it is of very poor quality stainless but I'd say it's a regular run-of-the-mill steel exhaust system. If you paid for a top quality stainless steel exhaust, then you were ripped off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you paid for a top quality stainless steel exhaust, then you were ripped off.
That's why I wanted to bring this up, this is a genuine TRD exhaust system straight from and installed by the dealer. I wanted to see if anyone else was having this issue or if it was just this specific one installed on my truck.

I'll go take a couple more pics of the rest of it, i'll probably need them anyway once I contact the dealer / TRD.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Did you purchase the "TRD Duals" or is that just the exhaust on a "TRD Edition" Tundra?

HUGE difference!
This.... Looks like a TRD Tip, not a cat back system....

It also looks like the tip is welded on? Is that normal? I was under the impression the tips were bolt on...

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I don't think 304 would do that unless it was a bad batch.

This is the TRD true dual exhaust right?

Good point by StevenD

·
Registered
535 Posts
Oh boy. That's not good...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
This is the aftermarket TRD dual exhaust system:

TRD Dual Exhaust

So I took a bunch of pictures are created an album:
TRD Dual Exhaust - Imgur

The mufflers, and tips are just fine like I mentioned, the rest... not so much.
Looks like they used the right materials for the mufflers... Def bring that back to the dealer man, that's not right at all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts