Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I know there has been some chit chat about this part,(PTR03-34079) mine finally showed up last week. I didn't want to thread jack someone else's thread, so I started one. I do have better resolution pics, but I don't have a picture sharing service, so i compressed them pretty small, if it is in the wrong spot, I think one of the awesome mods here can hopefully help out!

There was lots of talk about it, and not really any decent pics, so I took a few while I swapped mine out. Not the best quality, but useable, the lens on my phone is pretty trashed. Due for a new one in a couple months :p. Thought I would give it a try to see if it helps with towing at all, be running up into the mountains in May with a good load, and I have run that trip a couple times, so I have an idea as to what kind of MPG's I get.

The oe snorkel as it came out of the fender

Pipe Auto part Muffler

the OE one is on the right on both pictures

Tire Rim Automotive wheel system Wheel Automotive tire

the TRD one is installed on the box here
Eyewear Sunglasses Glasses Personal protective equipment Goggles

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not off hand, mine was a perfect fit, but I did have to install it in to the fender first, in order to get it to fold over and fit. I don't think it will go through the opening in the fender if it was on the airbox first. Yours is not a FFV by chance is it?

test fit before install

Bumper Vehicle Car Hatchback

installed into fender

Family car

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Different airbox perhaps, and since the accelerator is part of the supercharger kit, it may have to do with how it runs with the E-85 :p

·
Registered
732 Posts
The difference looks so insignificant. You think there's actually ANY benefit to doing the swap? I have one sitting here but feeling kinda lazy about installing it since I'm not sold on the fact that there's any benefit..

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was more interested in getting it for when i am towing up through the mountains, hoping with the thinner air, this may help with less power reduction or a little more fuel economy. $20 bucks after exchange and shipping, it was worth a shot. ($15.50 US at Sparks Toyota)

I am still trying to see if there is a difference, I think the the hard pull in the mountains will be more concrete of anything. In town, it feels the same (power/torque) except for maybe a slightly better throttle response. (Charcoal filter was deleted long time ago as well)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Can anyone tell me what's exact purpose of this swap ? I know it's on the TRD Intake setup, but did anyone gain anything out of this after the swap ? I know it's cheap, but I don't want to waste time swapping this and be all excited for no reason. It's got to worth the time even though it doesn't take long

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Ok, I know there has been some chit chat about this part,(PTR03-34079) mine finally showed up last week. I didn't want to thread jack someone else's thread, so I started one.
Excellent write up Ditchhooker! Any test results yet?

'thetastelingers' posted a link to your thread over on the MGM club thread. A couple guys there are asking about this mod, and I am interested too since I tow once and a while. Mainly want to do it to see if I get any better MPGs. I hear (well, have read) you need to combine this mod with at the very least a better flowing air filter such as the Airaid Synthamax Dry replacement filter, K&N, or the likes to see any results though.

Thanks again, 'subscribed'.
Rob

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would like to know if this helps to. Don't want to waste my time on something that does not work and don't want to get spun up just to be let down. I wonder if it will fit on a afe?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't think it works, it's been while with no one posting result . It's just time waste and mentally knowing accelerator got installed...

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
To me I am not sure how it could possibly do anything after seeing what it is. now the other mod I saw, where they added an entire new pipe alongside the original one would double the intake capacity. But that was serious. Drill another hole in the fender well, another hole in the air box, add a section of flexible hose, that has to be affixed to both the box and the fender. Definitely not for the faint of heart like me.

I will follow though and see what's up............

Rob

·
Registered
408 Posts
To me I am not sure how it could possibly do anything after seeing what it is. now the other mod I saw, where they added an entire new pipe alongside the original one would double the intake capacity. But that was serious. Drill another hole in the fender well, another hole in the air box, add a section of flexible hose, that has to be affixed to both the box and the fender. Definitely not for the faint of heart like me.

I will follow though and see what's up............

Rob
With the amount of air a volant draw through the intake I saw a slight increase in mpg like .1 mpg... I highly doubt drilling and adding accelerator or adding a pipe will change anything.. It's already a CAI right off the bat. In this case, I'll rather save money and time for a Volant or trd where at least get sounds out of it.. Lol... Lets wait for update

·
Registered
130 Posts
Subscribed too! Have one sitting in my garage but I too am a little apprehensive I might as well put it in since I have it. Thanks for the great write-up and any more info that follows.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts