Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the TRD Drop in Air Filter for my truck (5.7L V8). Not very happy with it because it whistles like K&N filter. It whistles when accelararting and deaccelrating.
TRD has just changed the Part no. and per sparks I was the first one to buy it. Besides whisteling, it is ok.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I purchased the total TRD Unit, airbox and built in high performance filter. took 2 hours to install, if a cooler day ? Maybe 1 hr.

Makes her purrrr real nice. Just a Little roar when you get on her

now to get those catback duals ordered ???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any pics of the install or on the truck? i saw a few videos of it running sounds stock the TRD CAI some people are complaining about the volant fitting nice next to the fender? are there any fitment issues u cold share or does fit like stock

·
Registered
38 Posts
Took my Cold air K & N back off cause it made too much noise when accelerating. Went with the K & N air filter and it sounds ok. No whisle or rar from the intake side.

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
My TRD drop in has been in for 11 months with no issues or odd noises. Can't tell if it has helped anything performance wise though. Sure saving the pocketbook since I don't have to replace a paper filter every 15K or so.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My TRD drop in has been in for 11 months with no issues or odd noises. Can't tell if it has helped anything performance wise though. Sure saving the pocketbook since I don't have to replace a paper filter every 15K or so.
yes that is a good thing and when you get your oil replaced they never open the air box and ask or show you the filter and say you need to replace it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does the TRD unit have the charcoal filter element?
Does the inside of the TRD air box have all those fins abound the sides like the standard box?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried the TRD filter and was about sick of it after a 3hr road trip. I heard a high pitched whistling while cruising, like there was an old TV in the truck that had bad reception. I could make it go away by letting off or giving it more gas, and I ended up doing exactly that, or turning the radio up, just to keep from hearing it.

I also didn't see a change for the better in fuel economy. 15mpg at best, where I thought I could have done better with a paper filter (closer to 16). I'm not sure why these companies claim better mpg.... if you allow more air, the computer senses this and gives the truck more fuel, right? Sure, it may give you a little more power because of this, but unless you're very cautious with the brake as you approach lights or traffic, you'll just be braking more than normal, scrubbing off that energy, resulting in worse fuel economy.

...and maybe I'm completely wrong.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Any pics of the install or on the truck? i saw a few videos of it running sounds stock the TRD CAI some people are complaining about the volant fitting nice next to the fender? are there any fitment issues u cold share or does fit like stock
The Volant does not fit well and it does not function well. I lost low end torque and 50 miles per tank.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cold air k&N

I tried the TRD filter and was about sick of it after a 3hr road trip. I heard a high pitched whistling while cruising, like there was an old TV in the truck that had bad reception. I could make it go away by letting off or giving it more gas, and I ended up doing exactly that, or turning the radio up, just to keep from hearing it.

I also didn't see a change for the better in fuel economy. 15mpg at best, where I thought I could have done better with a paper filter (closer to 16). I'm not sure why these companies claim better mpg.... if you allow more air, the computer senses this and gives the truck more fuel, right? Sure, it may give you a little more power because of this, but unless you're very cautious with the brake as you approach lights or traffic, you'll just be braking more than normal, scrubbing off that energy, resulting in worse fuel economy.

...and maybe I'm completely wrong.
I have been running just the K & N filter in the stock air box for a few years now with no problem, I glad I didn't keep the cold air system because it would have been too much noise and I believe that would effect the resale of the truck.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Pretty much every CAI on the market whistles while it sucks air in. That's the point, not sure why it would be expected otherwise?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Has anyone noticed a noticable MPG gain w/ TRD CAI?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts