Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2010 4door 4wd 4.6L w/ A760F automatic. 256,000 miles.
On my way home from work, trans down shifted to 4th, rpm jumped up. Wouldn’t shift up, even in standard shift mode.
After pulling over and checking things as best I could, I limped it home and after a few mins got warning lights on. Checked codes with my OBD2 tester. Got P0766 for “shift solenoid D - poor performance or stuck solenoid”
I already have it fixed, replaced solenoid (Toyota calls shift solenoid D, S4 solenoid)
I won’t go through all the headaches I had just trying to get some info and even finding out which transmission I had for sure.
I will say that a Chilton manuals are absolutely zero help on transmission problems, but google and U-tube were a lot of help as far as changing fluid and filter.
I am not an automotive tech but I have been a farm and heavy equipment tech for 25+ yrs.
I just want to say to anyone who is reluctant to pull the pan and do some basic trans diagnosing and testing, that this is “doable” and that the biggest PITA was refilling the trans fluid properly.
FYI - I used a WIX trans filter kit and Valvoline MaxLife synthetic ATF.
I know this was a long post, if anyone wants the test spec details or a picture of what solenoid is what I can provide them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pan bolts all came out ok.
I’m in East Texas, Piney woods type area.
Red clay mud and sand

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ed, did you have to drop the valve body to replace the solenoid?

My '10 Tundra is throwing a P0983 which is solenoid S4 high resistance. Parts will be here in a couple of days, but I cant tell if I need to drop valve body to get to it or not. Hoping not, so I dont have to worry about losing any springs or anything.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No I could get to all of the solenoids without dropping the valve body.
Thanks Ed. Replaced solenoid Sunday in the rain and didn't change anything. Didn't do the harness 1st like I should have. Oh well, project for another day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got a 2010 4door 4wd 4.6L w/ A760F automatic. 256,000 miles.
On my way home from work, trans down shifted to 4th, rpm jumped up. Wouldn’t shift up, even in standard shift mode.
After pulling over and checking things as best I could, I limped it home and after a few mins got warning lights on. Checked codes with my OBD2 tester. Got P0766 for “shift solenoid D - poor performance or stuck solenoid”
I already have it fixed, replaced solenoid (Toyota calls shift solenoid D, S4 solenoid)
I won’t go through all the headaches I had just trying to get some info and even finding out which transmission I had for sure.
I will say that a Chilton manuals are absolutely zero help on transmission problems, but google and U-tube were a lot of help as far as changing fluid and filter.
I am not an automotive tech but I have been a farm and heavy equipment tech for 25+ yrs.
I just want to say to anyone who is reluctant to pull the pan and do some basic trans diagnosing and testing, that this is “doable” and that the biggest PITA was refilling the trans fluid properly.
FYI - I used a WIX trans filter kit and Valvoline MaxLife synthetic ATF.
I know this was a long post, if anyone wants the test spec details or a picture of what solenoid is what I can provide them.
Did you end up figuring out the issue ?
my 2007 is having the same issues . My mechanic replaced the entire valve body , but after 400kms of driving the issue came back .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you end up figuring out the issue ?
my 2007 is having the same issues . My mechanic replaced the entire valve body , but after 400kms of driving the issue came back .
Did he replace just the valve body or did he replace the solenoids too? My problem wasn't the valve body but shift solenoid. My truck will still occasionally (like 1 day a year) have the problem come back which I'm pretty sure is fluid level related as I never checked the level after the last time I was in the trans. and these trans. are fussy on fluid level.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts