Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 tundra with the 5.7 and at around 40-50 under light acceleration the truck vibrates/shudders. I’ve already replaced my carrier bearing, u-joints, and even the yolks on the driveshaft. I also had the transmission flushed and put in a additive, which helped for a month or 2 then it returned. Dose any one know a solution or fix to this problem?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sounds like torque converter shudder. This is probally occuring when the torque converter is unlocking (RPMs go up about 500) and is under light acceleration. If you step on it the torque converter unlocks, instantly down shifts and there is no shudder I am guessing. It sounds like the friction modifier worked for a little while. Could try one more bottle of friction modifier and maybe you get lucky and it resolves the shudder. If not you might decide to tolerate it until you decide to replace the transmission.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yes it does sound like torque converter shudder.

My 2007 5.7L did this... This is my solution:

I do not drive in "D", I drop into "S-4" and manually shift into S-5 & S-6 as needed while driving. When I come to a stop, I manually shift int S-4 and repeat the process as needed. The shudder has not occurred a single time since I started driving the truck this way, and it hasn't cost me a dime.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like torque converter shudder. This is probally occuring when the torque converter is unlocking (RPMs go up about 500) and is under light acceleration. If you step on it the torque converter unlocks, instantly down shifts and there is no shudder I am guessing. It sounds like the friction modifier worked for a little while. Could try one more bottle of friction modifier and maybe you get lucky and it resolves the shudder. If not you might decide to tolerate it until you decide to replace the transmission.
Yea that was my feeling too, jut wasn’t 100% sure. I’ll try the additive one ore time and if it doesn’t help I’ll just deal with it. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I do not drive in "D", I drop into "S-4" and manually shift into S-5 & S-6 as needed while driving. When I come to a stop, I manually shift int S-4 and repeat the process as needed. The shudder has not occurred a single time since I started driving the truck this way, and it hasn't cost me a dime.
I definitely try that, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1 Posts

What!?!? I've had my 07' V6 for a few months now, and had no idea there's an extra 2 gears with the manual "S" setting... My truck has been doing the same shuddering under light acceleration. I will be trying this today. Does it help with gas mileage? I hate how in 4th gear it's at like 3500rpm at 55-66, and it eats gas.

·
Registered
638 Posts
What!?!? I've had my 07' V6 for a few months now, and had no idea there's an extra 2 gears with the manual "S" setting... My truck has been doing the same shuddering under light acceleration. I will be trying this today. Does it help with gas mileage? I hate how in 4th gear it's at like 3500rpm at 55-66, and it eats gas.
I leave it in 4th around town, but I manually shift into S-5 and sometimes S-6 when sustained speeds exceed 50 or so... higher RPMs burn a little more fuel, but fuel is cheaper than a new transmission, or an expensive repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts