Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I recently purchased a 2008 Sequoia that had 180000 miles. I had a local transmission shop service the trans(not flush). They change the filter, flush the cooler only and refill. 5 days later I had some cold weather slippage while the transmission was cold. If you idled in gear with your foot on the brake for a while like at a long stop light it would slip 1st gear or have a hard time shifting into 2nd if it did get into gear. Trans shop recommended a new transmission. The dealer found the fluid was severely overfilled and leveled it properly saying it should take care of the problem. After the issue still being there I took it to the dealer again and the dealer also recommended a new transmission.

I came across this thread on bitog https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2202175 and this tsb by filter manufacturer's council on amsoil.com https://www.amsoil.com/lit/filter_man_council01.pdf

The dealer refused to change the filter saying it had a mesh filter and the master tech said there would be metal shavings all in the pan and it's not worth doing because it was a waste of money. I decided I was going to pull the pan and had to see for myself before buying a new trans from them. I had nothing to lose. They said it was the worst case scenario and I was going to verify it.

Anyways long story short, I ordered parts from Roman at Cool Springs and changed the filter. The filter was not metal mesh. It was a felt filter that without any visible particles. I got 6 qts out. The fluid was absolutely black. There were no shavings. The magnets looked pretty clean but when you wiped it grey came off on the towel. This was normal in my opinion. It looked healthy to me except the black fluid. Black fluid has never been good for any transmission. I believe what happened was the fresh detergents cleaned out the grime and ruined the fluid. I've refilled with fresh WS. I've been driving for 5 days now and it drives like it is brand new off the lot. I'll probably do a full fluid exchange after a while to start with completely fresh fluid.

The lesson learned :
If you have a perfectly good transmission that fails immediately after fresh fluid is put in don't buy into the theory you have to buy a new transmission. Change your filter and fluid even if you just had it changed.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Great outcome. Eggzellent.

And yet anudder story of stealership abject stupidity (or conniving opportunism) to heap upon the bonfire of history.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great job sorting out the problem yourself.

The old adage was if it has gone that long changing it will cause more problems. Some of that is true based on your experience. However, if you never change it aka "lifetime" fluid, the fluid does just that, lasts as long as it takes the tranny to destroy itself by running old, dirty, thin, contaminated fluid.

Pretty amazing the transmission made it to 180k without any fluid service at all.

For the record, on my 1998 F150 w/E4OD at 128k I have changed the entire fluid out 2x with Red Line Synthetic and a 6 quart filter change in between.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great outcome. Eggzellent.

And yet anudder story of stealership abject stupidity (or conniving opportunism) to heap upon the bonfire of history.
I'm not upset at the dealership as much as I am the local transmission shop. The dealer corrected the overfill problem for free. They said they didn't want to waste my money on what wouldn't work and didn't charge me anything since they only drove the car and didn't do anything else. They wanted $5400 to replace the trans. I'm sure it would have remedied the issue but I was going to drop the pan and see for myself before I was willing to go the replace the transmission. I was upset at the Transmission shop because they said they see it all the time but didn't caution me on the risk of their service and just sold me the service.

The black fluid was a surprise. I didn't see that coming since the trans shop just serviced it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great job sorting out the problem yourself.

The old adage was if it has gone that long changing it will cause more problems. Some of that is true based on your experience. However, if you never change it aka "lifetime" fluid, the fluid does just that, lasts as long as it takes the tranny to destroy itself by running old, dirty, thin, contaminated fluid.

Pretty amazing the transmission made it to 180k without any fluid service at all.

For the record, on my 1998 F150 w/E4OD at 128k I have changed the entire fluid out 2x with Red Line Synthetic and a 6 quart filter change in between.
I think some of that is true. I have to agree with you that lifetime fluid is bs. I was more skeptical about that theory before but all my vehicles run clean fluids. I just never purchased a vehicle with this many miles. I should not have taken the prior owner at his word that the trans was serviced at 120k. Toyota has all records for all services done at dealerships so if a seller/prior owner said something was done at the dealership you can verify this.

Why did you change the fluid 2x and the filter on the F150? Was it a similar situation?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think some of that is true. I have to agree with you that lifetime fluid is bs. I was more skeptical about that theory before but all my vehicles run clean fluids. I just never purchased a vehicle with this many miles. I should not have taken the prior owner at his word that the trans was serviced at 120k. Toyota has all records for all services done at dealerships so if a seller/prior owner said something was done at the dealership you can verify this.

Why did you change the fluid 2x and the filter on the F150? Was it a similar situation?
I'm just a believer in running clean synthetic fluid.

When I bought the truck I replaced the stock fluid with synthetic and at the same time installed a Transgo shift kit to firm up shifts. The late 90's E4OD were famous for buttery smooth shifts with lots of flair from the factory. Great for NVH, not for wear or towing.

So, the 1st time was when it was new.

Then at 60k or so I did filter and 6 quarts when I dropped the pan and cleaned the magnet. Immediately the truck shifted firmer and more positively.

Then a year or so ago I towed an enclosed trailer to Minnesota and back. With 114k on the truck I felt it prudent to replace all of the fluid before the trip.

Lots of city miles, etc. I am probably over servicing a little but the truck seems to like it based on how it responds with fresh fluid. Keep in mind that is not a lot of time, money, or service over 19 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.