Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Here is my detailed insturctions.
Step 1) Call Dealer make an apt.
Suck it up its about 250 for the service.

·
Premium Member
6,871 Posts
I agree. I would not mess with the 6000$ transmission. These things are tricky to change the fluid. it Can be done but its a PITA.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Mine charged about $160.

What is the recommended service interval to change the transmission fluid? Is it 60K or guessing 100K?
I wouldn't go more than 60K. I changed mine at 30K.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am going to have a mechanic down the street from me do mine with a B&G transmission fluid exchanger.

They tap into the transmission coolent lines (send and return) with the truck running until the the fluid runs clean again.

I have been doing this with all my cars for years and have never had problem.

Has anybody elese gone this route?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
How much bucktail for this method?

Seems sensible enough sort of like changing brake and clutch fluid on a cycle bleeding the old stuff out and pouring in the new fluid in the reservoir all at the same time. You might waste more fluid, but don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you get the old stuff all out and do not skimp on the time so the old fluids are still in there.

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
It would be an easy process, the uncomfortable feeling for me comes when I can't just pull out a dipstick and make sure it's refilled properly.

GRRRR...I'd like to choke the engineer that made that decision.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Use Toyota fluid if still under warranty.
I am going to have a mechanic down the street from me do mine with a B&G transmission fluid exchanger.

They tap into the transmission coolent lines (send and return) with the truck running until the the fluid runs clean again.

I have been doing this with all my cars for years and have never had problem.

Has anybody elese gone this route?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I did that as you describe at 40,000 miles. 250 WAS THE COST as well for full fluid exchange, flush or whatever you call it when all fluid is exchanged.
I HAVE EXTENDED WARRANTY and don't want to give them an excuse if tranny craps out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How much bucktail for this method?

Seems sensible enough sort of like changing brake and clutch fluid on a cycle bleeding the old stuff out and pouring in the new fluid in the reservoir all at the same time. You might waste more fluid, but don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you get the old stuff all out and do not skimp on the time so the old fluids are still in there.
Never had it done on my last Tundra because I sold it before I had 40,000 miles on it.

On all my other vehicles I believe it was around $175.00 - $200.00.

I think there is another member on here that has had his done using a B&G exchange. Maybe he will chime in if he sees this thread.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I asked my service guy this week about it and I was told not to worry about it until at least 90K. Is he full of it?
I doubt he is trying to jerk your chain. He is doing exactly what Toyota is recommending.

Personally, at around 50,000 miles I am changing mine no matter what Toyota recommends.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Agree, I wouldn't let any fluid sit for 90K unless say put 25K per year on the tundra mostly hwy. miles., then I could see it I guess. The way I drive mostly hwy. I will let it go say around 60-70K which is well below the 90K recommended. The same holds true for antifreeze say every 5-6 years for me driving the way I drive.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Negaitve on 4x4. Torque fell apart and trahsed the tranny. Had to replace all 6 sensors also in the tranny. From what the tranny mechanics stated that flushing only pushed the issues I had with the tranny to the forefront. They don't recommend flushing tranny's. Change the oil.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts