Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new owner of a 2016 tundra w/o tow package.
Has anyone successfully installed an aftermarket transmission cooler to their 4.6 tundra w/o tow package? I have already installed brake controller, hitch. Only towing around 5500 lbs but in Texas any long periods of towing can be taxing on a transmission. Inherited the TT after truck purchase,or other wise I would have gone for the 5.7 with tow package. Any information would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Did you ever install a trans cooler? I am looking to possibly do one since its $10o or less for peace of mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never got a reply, the issue is that it's a sealed unit and my concern is avoiding my warranty. So I'm still investigating.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
You can install a cooler. If I'm not mistaken on the passenger side of the trans there are 2 short lines that come out of the trans and run into the cooler a few inches away. There are also 2 coolant lines that go to this cooler. I'd imagine that you would want to bypass the factory cooler all together so you would have to mount your aftermarket cooler up front and then run the lines to it. You'd want to fab up some steel lines though as I wouldn't want to run rubber trans lines all that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I'll take a look,when it's under 100 degrees out. Gotta love summer!

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did anyone successfully install a transmission cooler? I'm looking to install one, and I was wonder if there were any recommended brands.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I looked at these one trailer and seems easy enough. Then add more trans fluid. But saw others talking about another part that's like $110 from Toyota to do it. Also can someone with a 2014+ 4.6 say if they have something in front of the radiator. Took my grill off the other day and it was in the top left corner and could be a trans cooler but probably 40% of the size of the radiator.

I purchased my truck used and it already has a electric brake controller so wondering if the previous owner installed an auxiliary cooler already.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I looked at these one trailer and seems easy enough. Then add more trans fluid. But saw others talking about another part that's like $110 from Toyota to do it. Also can someone with a 2014+ 4.6 say if they have something in front of the radiator. Took my grill off the other day and it was in the top left corner and could be a trans cooler but probably 40% of the size of the radiator.

I purchased my truck used and it already has a electric brake controller so wondering if the previous owner installed an auxiliary cooler already.
Take a picture for us.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts

If a cooler was already installed it would be easy to find as it would be in front of the radiator and air conditioner condenser right behind the front grill.

If there isn't one, they are easy to install supposedly. You'll need the cooler and cooler lines of course and there should be a couple of ports on the side of the transmission that the in and out lines would connect to. Adding a transmission cooler won't hurt your warranty at all and your transmission will thank you. Temperatures in the 200 degree plus side in a transmission are very bad so the cooler you can keep it the longer it will last.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It's black but the top left corner is silver that was larger just hard to tell in this picture. They looked like two unit but looks factory. So wasn't sure if the radiator was like a dual core of something.

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just read through this post to discover it's just an AC condenser. And possible top 1/4 trans cooler. Maybe but not likely. I have a working 7 and 4 pin hitch plug and factory hitch and after market brake controller wired just fine. But 4.6 and looks like the 2014+ 4.6 tow package is just the plug and hitch. Is this correct.

Looking to tow a travel trailer that's 4200# dry. And less than 50 miles each way. But if the $100 for a supplemental cooler will help its well worth buying.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It's black but the top left corner is silver that was larger just hard to tell in this picture. They looked like two unit but looks factory. So wasn't sure if the radiator was like a dual core of something.
Dont see a trans cooler IMO. Look at mine, you can see the lines coming out on pass side to duel purpose trans cooler/ac condenser. This is factory set up on mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
Dont see a trans cooler IMO. Look at mine, you can see the lines coming out on pass side to duel purpose trans cooler/ac condenser. This is factory set up on mine.
Thank you. I had seen there that looked like yours but it doesn't even appear that I could utilize the top half for a trans cooler since there aren't even ports to run into it. So looks like aftermarket is my only option.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Yours doesn't have a transmission cooler, and if you do any towing you'll want one. I'm not sure how well the transmissions hold up in the tundras but I sure wouldn't risk it. The transmission rebuild in my 1988 Ford Bronco 2 I just picked up last month was $2400 and its not even as close to computerized as the new transmissions, so I'd hate to see the rebuild cost on a tundra transmission or any current production transmission for that matter.

Transmission coolers are about $200 for a large one, plus a couple hours install typically at a shop so you'd be about $400 probably for a cooler...much cheaper than a transmission replacement or rebuild LOL.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Has anyone on here added one themselves to a 4.6? I am fairly handy and think this is something I can handle. R trailer.com has two and the larger one is only like $70. Plus some trans fluid and maybe a little more line. Few hours and some fabbed brackets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just red this thread and got curious coz I have a 4.6 with no tow package as well, asked tghe dealership parts guy and foud out that my truck has transcooler, they just asked the VIN

·
Registered
11 Posts
4.6L Tundra DONT come with the factory cooler option from factory. Only 5.7l come with the Tow haul package with trans cooler. The Round looking part you see coming out of your tranny is the Warmer unit and it has lines going to the radiator. There is a separate cooler part that attaches just above the warmer and will have a thermostat with a bypass valve on it with two trans line coming from it. You can add factory parts with the cooler nd lines but it will run about $600 in parts. You can just by the piece for tranny and run your own lines to Aftermarket cooler for about $270-300 all total. This is what i am going to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
4.6L Tundra DONT come with the factory cooler option from factory. Only 5.7l come with the Tow haul package with trans cooler. The Round looking part you see coming out of your tranny is the Warmer unit and it has lines going to the radiator. There is a separate cooler part that attaches just above the warmer and will have a thermostat with a bypass valve on it with two trans line coming from it. You can add factory parts with the cooler nd lines but it will run about $600 in parts. You can just by the piece for tranny and run your own lines to Aftermarket cooler for about $270-300 all total. This is what i am going to do.
Did you ever do it? I purchased the part with the thermostat/output lines but havent proceeded with the install yet. Was hoping to see somebody else who did it...maybe not recreate the wheel. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts