Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and read several threads on changing the Tundra transmission fluid. Some say never do it. Some do it at 30k. Some at 50k. Some at 100k. Some say it ruins their transmission. Don't do a flush, do a flush. Opinions/facts are everywhere. So, I'm ready to take a bashing here, since it probably looks like I haven't read up at all.

First my specs:
2014 SR
5.7L
Long bed double cab
Almost 50k miles on the odometer.

I'm lazy and bringing her in to the dealer for a motor oil change. When making the appointment online, In the 'other' section, I checked the 'change auto transmission' fluid box.

I'm not looking for a flush. Just drain and fill (or whatever the process is).

The truck has had an easy life. I just want the trans fluid changed. It's really that simple. Do any of you Tundra folks see an issue with me changing transmission fluid at 50k?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the reply. I'm going to use an official Toyota dealer that I've used a lot for regular stuff (Clearwater Toyota).
Did they do a "Flush" or just a straight up fluid change? Just curious.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Appreciate the reply. I'm going to use an official Toyota dealer that I've used a lot for regular stuff (Clearwater Toyota).
Did they do a "Flush" or just a straight up fluid change? Just curious.
That i'm not honestly 100% certain on. I believe it was a flush.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, got ya. I'll ask the service guy what they suggest (other than the standard not changing it at all). I've never towed with this truck (got it with 10k miles). I think it lived it's first 10k miles as a work truck. It had a ladder rack, it has the work truck package, etc.

Since I've owned it, it's lived as primarily a commuter that occasionally works to haul stuff. Maybe I'll wait till 60k to do the fluid change. It's biggest trauma was when that lady pulled out in front of me. Different story, but weird video below after I crawled out of the passenger door is below. She's in tip top shape now btw. Thankfully the offender was insured. Otherwise, easy life for a work truck ; )

·
Registered
60 Posts
The truck has had an easy life. I just want the trans fluid changed. It's really that simple. Do any of you Tundra folks see an issue with me changing transmission fluid at 50k?
I don't see anything wrong with having it done at 50K, although I'll have them replace mine at 60k.

Other than the occasional towing, my 2016 is ultra light duty. ~10K miles a year and tow ~ 40 miles a month.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Toyota does not recommend changing the fluid. Ever. Dealers are a different matter because they make money on the fluid changes. But Toyota designed the transmission to not need a fluid change. I have had 5 Tundra's and have run them all to 100K or more. My current 2015 CM 5.7L has 110K on it. I have never changed the trans fluid in any of them and have never had any issues. I towed heavy with the first 4. The one I have now is primarily all easy highway miles and I have not towed much more than a snowmobile trailer a few times.

The million mile Tundra's did their trans fluid changes around 300K. One of them had his transmission rebuilt at like 500K (don't quote me on that, I am doing this from memory) but found out after the fact that it really only needed a flush and fill. The first guy to reach a million had something repaired to fix reverse gear at about 700K, but never had the transmission rebuilt.

I plan to drive mine to 300K before I look at it.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Toyota does not recommend changing the fluid. Ever. Dealers are a different matter because they make money on the fluid changes. But Toyota designed the transmission to not need a fluid change. I have had 5 Tundra's and have run them all to 100K or more. My current 2015 CM 5.7L has 110K on it. I have never changed the trans fluid in any of them and have never had any issues. I towed heavy with the first 4. The one I have now is primarily all easy highway miles and I have not towed much more than a snowmobile trailer a few times.

The million mile Tundra's did their trans fluid changes around 300K. One of them had his transmission rebuilt at like 500K (don't quote me on that, I am doing this from memory) but found out after the fact that it really only needed a flush and fill. The first guy to reach a million had something repaired to fix reverse gear at about 700K, but never had the transmission rebuilt.

I plan to drive mine to 300K before I look at it.
Yeah, Iv'e heard 20 different opinions on this. Here is mine: In my business and personally I have owned numerous Tundras. 4 right now. Doing a drain and fill at 50k is useless BUT FLUSH it at 100k. FLUSH it. I have put high 200s to mid 300s on several. We are hard on them, pulling-mud riding etc. Flushed them all whenever convenient between 90-110k. We did have 2 that we got from another company that had low 200k and both had a little lag in the low gears at times, one actually slipped a little on me once.Flushed the trannys at the Toyota Dealership and it went away. Any way, it's definitely worth the money to have it changed, but flush it out.

Reactions: Idiot406

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Yeah, Iv'e heard 20 different opinions on this. Here is mine: In my business and personally I have owned numerous Tundras. 4 right now. Doing a drain and fill at 50k is useless BUT FLUSH it at 100k. FLUSH it. I have put high 200s to mid 300s on several. We are hard on them, pulling-mud riding etc. Flushed them all whenever convenient between 90-110k. We did have 2 that we got from another company that had low 200k and both had a little lag in the low gears at times, one actually slipped a little on me once.Flushed the trannys at the Toyota Dealership and it went away. Any way, it's definitely worth the money to have it changed, but flush it out.
Think about having the same fluid in there for over 100k. I meant to tell you that I watched them do it a couple of times and it wasn't that bad, I think it is a sealed system. But those 2 with the 200k, the fluid was horrible that they flushed out of there. They pumped like 18 quarts through it to get it to clear up.

Reactions: Idiot406

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2010 DC 4x4 4.6l, has had a rough life. Lots of towing, lots of 80+mph drives on I10 and toll 130 in Texas, lots of mud in the fall and winter. Currently at 280,000 miles. Has had fluid and filter changed at the dealer (Toyota of Richardson) at 100,000 and 200,000. I had a shift solenoid fail (4th to 5th gear) at 256,000. I don’t live near a dealer any longer, so I decided to try to repair myself. I made a post about it all on this website. I refilled with valvoline synthetic and changed filter again. Let me say the job wasn’t nearly as hard as Toyota implied. The fluid was dirty and if it was that bad when the dealer changed it twice before, I am very glad it has been changed regularly.
I will never believe that a transmission never needs fluid changed. A transmission has clutch packs that are slipping slightly when shifting occurs. If they didn’t slip a little the shift would be so aggressive you couldn’t drive it at highway speeds. Slipping means wear, even slightly slipping over a lot of miles. Sorry this is so long.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow tons of great info here. I was at the dealer today getting 50k service (basically oil change/tire rotation). Naturally I turned down the top end cleaning nonsense. You know, where they basically put gas treatment in to clean the throttle body and valves The techs and service reps there say don't even consider trans fluid change until 100k or more miles. Even then, maybe not do it. Basically they are on the "LEAVE IT ALONE" camp.

This thread has a great mixture of opinions that I appreciate. Since I'm only at 50k, and the truck runs great, maybe I should reconsider at 100k or so. Like I said, she has an easy life for a "Work truck." Either way, I'll reflect on all the info here. I may do it at 80k or 60k WHO KNOWS! ; )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts