Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to add a trans cooler to my "Sport Appearance" package 2007 Tundra. These did not come with the towing package. I checked the dealership for original parts and they are prohibitively expensive ($2400+). I'm resigned to use an aftermarket cooler and lines. Has anyone here done this? I would appreciate any tips and or pics. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
That's ridiculous for a OEM transmission cooler. I'm not sure how they hookup in the Tundra, but other trucks they were pretty simple installs that could be DIY. Had AAMCO install a larger cooler on my 88 Bronco 2 last year. Cooler was about $100. Even a couple hundred dollars for a bigger cooler is much cheaper than the cost of a replacement transmission, especially the newer electronic ones....even my Bronco 2's rebuilt transmission was $2500, figure about double that for the tundra.

Not really sure what brands are out there, but you want to get the biggest cooler you can fit into the space you plan on installing it. Heat kills automatic transmissions, and if you plan on towing, you certainly want a big transmission cooler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tundra trans cooler

Upon further investigation, I have determined that I will need to get at least some of the OEM parts for the trans cooler. The place where it connects to the trans, interfaces with the engine coolant couplings. This part is connected to the trans with a spacer plate, that to my understanding is to be replaced by a trans fluid coupling. These 2 parts then interact to heat fluid in cold weather and allow the fluid to be cooled when temp exceeds the built in thermostat opening temp. This part has 4 hard line hose nipples to connect to the engine coolant coupling and the cooler loop. There are some O-Rings and other parts that I will have to acquire as well. The rest of the set-up can be substituted for the cooler, hoses and mounting apparatus of choice. I'll try to keep this thread updated as progress occurs. I am not in a hurry, since I have been towing with it "stock" for 10 years and don't have concerns as of yet. I have pulled a heavy trailer with a car on it and a full load in the box in hot weather without the dash temp gauge differing from normal driving readings. I have had an aftermarket temp gauge in place in the dash for a couple of years now without completing the install with the placement of the sender. The sender is a single wire unit, so it will have to have a neg connection to ground to complete the circuit. If I can't mount it in a hard line I will have to braze a wire to it for the circuit to be completed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
J/Y

Thanks for the suggestion. I think a salvage yard would be a good place to obtain some of the parts I need. I'll check it out. The parts I want might be considered to be part of the trans and not available separately, but it's worth asking. The Tundra I have did not come with a trans cooler, but thanks for suggesting that I verify it first hand, instead of just assuming. I was somewhat surprised that it did not even have a "standard" one in the side tank of the radiator. I had assumed that the cooler in the tow package was an additional, auxiliary cooler, instead of the only one, except for the heat exchanger from the engine coolant. This plumbing of the engine coolant to the trans, is something I have not seen before. The procedure for determining the fluid level is rather complicated as well. I'm going to have to check to see if one of my scan tools can monitor the trans temp as called for in the fluid level check procedure. If not I guess I can do the jump the scan terminal connectors to use the dash shift indicator for the proper heat range.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Junkyard would work for a factory one but you could get an aftermarket for a decent price that will come with a bunch of universal fittings. I have installed many coolers on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with no problem. I have never put one on a Tundra but I am sure it would work. Once you have it mocked up and installed if you really want to get crazy you can get stainless steel pipe, bender and fittings and really make it look custom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.