Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased 2006 Tundra 4.7 Club cab 4x4 w/170,000 miles. Truck very clean. Changing fluids and found transfer case full of transmission fluid. Looking for guidance on this one. Thanks

·
Registered
737 Posts
Many transfer cases take atf. All the dodge cummins I mess with do .
I do not know about the tundra .

Please spend a min on google to find out what fluid is supposed to be in there .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Many transfer cases take atf. All the dodge cummins I mess with do .
I do not know about the tundra .

Please spend a min on google to find out what fluid is supposed to be in there .
They are spec'd for 75-85 or 75-90 gear oil until 2014. They changed the T-case in 2014 and those take special Toyota 75W that is $80/Liter. No American oil companies make a similar gear oil because Toyota won't release the secret formula. :disappointed:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
They are spec'd for 75-85 or 75-90 gear oil until 2014. They changed the T-case in 2014 and those take special Toyota 75W that is $80/Liter. No American oil companies make a similar gear oil because Toyota won't release the secret formula. :disappointed:
That's odd because they made a big deal about switching the 2014's to an american made transfer case... Borg Warner is the new supplier, I'm sure they have a cross reference for the "Special" fluid. It's most likely just an additive for the wet clutch inside the newer style t-cases.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's odd because they made a big deal about switching the 2014's to an american made transfer case... Borg Warner is the new supplier, I'm sure they have a cross reference for the "Special" fluid. It's most likely just an additive for the wet clutch inside the newer style t-cases.
Here is the oil analysis -
https://photobucket.com/gallery/user/btanchors/media/bWVkaWFJZDoxMzc0MjU1Mjg=/?ref=

The phosphorus, magnesium and zinc are 10x higher than what you'll find in the only other straight 75W oil available.

https://www.amazon.com/Ravenol-J1C1003-Manual-Transmission-Fluid/dp/B00QPCL7ZE/ref=asc_df_B00QPCL7ZE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312128326273&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1679230695719815750&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030252&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-403119471251&psc=1

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/attachments/usergals/2017/12/full-30066-17036-ravenol_75w_oil_test_results.jpg

Both Amsoil and Royal Purple say they do not produce a compatible oil. Good thing the change interval is around 100k. (which means I'll change it at 50k)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Those metals are found in additives that help with low temperature wear resistance, high pressure contact points, and dispersion. Much like the limited slip diff additives for clutch type diffs.

Not to derail any more (I know, it's my fault in the first place) but I did some digging and it looks like this is a Toyota only fluid, spec'd for the SUV's and then the Tundra with Borg Warner t-cases. The best everyone can do is just shop online for a good price apparently. I found a pdf with the Toyota part number with an Exxon Mobil logo on it, but the rest was in Japanese, so I have no idea what it said. I was hoping for a Mobil cross reference number, but, my Japanese comprehension isn't what it used to be...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts